Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Recommendation Thread

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I think I might be the only one here who hasn't seen Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Is it really worth watching?

I asked about Paul Blart: Mall Cop last week, but nobody answered whether or not it was worth watching. But I found the DVD at a garage sale this weekend, so I bought it.

I expected to hate it, but I wanted to give it a chance, so I watched it. Surprisingly, it was much better than I expected. It felt like a comedy version of Die Hard, but with heart. I found myself actually rooting for Paul Blart to take down the bad guys and be the big hero.

Atm, I have three films that other people might not have, if no one else has said films, than it’s a wasted vote. Trying to decide if these three films are good enough.

Three films I have atm, I don’t think others will have:
•Gangs of New York
•A Beautiful Mind
•Brick (others might have this film, maybe)

Next are films I know other will have, so I know that the vote will actually come in handy, but I like the above three films more, so I’m in a pickle, but I don’t want to waste a vote.
•Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind
•Before Sunset
•Howls Moving Castle
•Pans Labyrinth
•Wall-E
•The Wrestler
•Lotr Two Towers
•Lotr Fellowship (only put one Lotr film, because their is not much room in 25)

Finally, these next films are some of my favorites but I had already cut out, but I really miss them on the list but I didn’t want a wasted vote.
•Kung Fu Hustle
•Lucky Number Slevin
•Count of Monte Cristo
•O Brother Where Art Though

If you leave some of your favorite movies off of your list because you think that they will be wasted votes, and other people do the same thing, then it could just end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. They have no chance at all if everyone thinks like that.

It's like basing your list on strategic placement of movies. Would you place a movie that you think should be around the middle of your list in the #1 spot just because you think other people will place it low, and you want it to place higher on the top 100 list, and you think the other movies have a better chance to place high on the top 100 without your votes anyway?

You should just make your list based on the movies that you think deserve to be on your list, and if the movies deserve to make it into the top 100, then they will make it. If not, then you can promote the movies on your list that didn't make the top 100 after the whole list is revealed, and maybe some people will watch them, who might not have if you left them off of your list.

I asked about Paul Blart: Mall Cop last week, but nobody answered whether or not it was worth watching. But I found the DVD at a garage sale this weekend, so I bought it.

I expected to hate it, but I wanted to give it a chance, so I watched it. Surprisingly, it was much better than I expected. It felt like a comedy version of Die Hard, but with heart. I found myself actually rooting for Paul Blart to take down the bad guys and be the big hero.
I also don't hate it. I think it's an alright film.
WARNING: spoilers below
I like how it subverted the buddy cop cliche by revealing Veck to be a villain. Before the reveal, he defended Blast from the abuse he suffered from some other people in the film, but after the reveal, he used his vulnerabilities against him. Granted, they could've done some more with this theme, but I still enjoyed it a decent bit.

I also don't hate it. I think it's an alright film.
WARNING: spoilers below
I like how it subverted the buddy cop cliche by revealing Veck to be a villain. Before the reveal, he defended Blast from the abuse he suffered from some other people in the film, but after the reveal, he used his vulnerabilities against him. Granted, they could've done some more with this theme, but I still enjoyed it a decent bit.

There were a couple of nice twists in the movie, and I thought they did a good job of making us care about Blart.

I haven't had much luck with modern comedies, but I thought this one was pretty good.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
If you leave some of your favorite movies off of your list because you think that they will be wasted votes, and other people do the same thing, then it could just end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. They have no chance at all if everyone thinks like that.

It's like basing your list on strategic placement of movies. Would you place a movie that you think should be around the middle of your list in the #1 spot just because you think other people will place it low, and you want it to place higher on the top 100 list, and you think the other movies have a better chance to place high on the top 100 without your votes anyway?

You should just make your list based on the movies that you think deserve to be on your list, and if the movies deserve to make it into the top 100, then they will make it. If not, then you can promote the movies on your list that didn't make the top 100 after the whole list is revealed, and maybe some people will watch them, who might not have if you left them off of your list.
I came to that same conclusion, I just made it the way I wanted it, it looks better

Atm, I have three films that other people might not have, if no one else has said films, than it’s a waisted vote. Trying to decide if these three films are good enough.
My advice would be to put what you feel is the best for you. I think there is a fair share of "strategic" placement and selection one could do, but at the end of the day, it's your list... the countdown is meant to reflect the combined scope and preference of the whole forum, and the best way to achieve that is by being honest with your votes.

On that premise, and this is to *everyone*, I think it's healthier for the whole process not to share "strategies" of any kind in the public forum. As stated above, we want to do something that's as honest as possible and that reflects the real preferences of everybody in here, and not some calculated planning. Just be truthful and honest with what you like and what you feel is worthy of the list. Thanks.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

This legitimately happened on the last countdown where a film would have made it but was left off someone's list when it was in their overall top 10. Letter Never Sent

Hmmmm, that would potentially make any corny film placed in 25th spot on a ballot an half-pointer with cheese. I likes it.

Here's an interesting list. I think I've only seen one from the list (Ink) so I can't attest too much to its validity and/or quality, but here it is anyway...

10 Totally Bizarre 2000s Movies You May Have Missed

Some of the best anime films of the decade:

Spirited Away (2001)

Millenium Actress (2001)

Howls Moving Castle (2004)

Mindgame (2004)

Ghost in the Shell 2 (2004) (not as good as the first but still very worth watching)

Paprika (2006)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)

5 Centimeters per Second (2007)

Evangelion 1.11 (2007)

Ponyo (2008)

Evangelion 2.0 (2009)

Summer Wars (2009)

I rate all of these 9/10 or higher except Ghost in the Shell 2 (that one is 7.5/10)

One pointers are overrated
It's not true. You should be working on finishing your top 100 with seanc instead of spreading such lies.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Some of the best anime films of the decade:

Spirited Away (2001)

Millenium Actress (2001)

Howls Moving Castle (2004)

Mindgame (2004)

Ghost in the Shell 2 (2004) (not as good as the first but still very worth watching)

Paprika (2006)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006)

5 Centimeters per Second (2007)

Evangelion 1.11 (2007)

Ponyo (2008)

Evangelion 2.0 (2009)

Summer Wars (2009)

I rate all of these 9/10 or higher except Ghost in the Shell 2 (that one is 7.5/10)
I'm not that huge on anime, but I might write some of these down.

Just to bump this thread a little, and considering today is my MoFo "anniversary", here are all the reviews I've written here so far for films from the 2000s, sorted by rating...

Maybe some of you can find something that interests you.

Here's an interesting list. I think I've only seen one from the list (Ink) so I can't attest too much to its validity and/or quality, but here it is anyway...

10 Totally Bizarre 2000s Movies You May Have Missed
"Ink" is interesting, took a couple of viewings. "Bubba Ho-Tep". Is a riot and highly recommend it. "Songs From the Upper Floor" is an exercise in crisis, in a good way. If that makes any sense. "Lunacy" is on my cue.