Welcome To Our Nightmare: A Terror and Wooley Horror Show

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I like that Eaten Alive makes the audience squirm a bit. It's a deeply uncomfortable film, not in that obnoxious way that someone like Eli Roth makes uncomfortable films, but something so unapologetically bizarre that it takes you right out of any rational comfort zone. Also one of the best ambient soundtracks in a horror film, which was Hooper's unsung genius, with its tinny country radio interlaced with psychotic peels and pings and cackling crickets. And ol' Judd is quite funny after you get past any kind of sympathetic reflex. It's a shame that the only quote from the film on IMDb is from Buck. It's the dumbest line in the film. Does Buck even hambone, bro? I doubt it.
I agree completely.
Except with the Buck line, which I think introduces his character quite perfectly (and obviously made an impression on the man-child, Tarantino, as well).
And, dammit, I meant to talk about the music and I forgot. It's really just so effective. Hooper was some kind of genius. I'm not sure what kind, but some kind.

Victim of The Night
Some neat lighting in that one.

Yeah, this is the kinda thing I'm talking about with this film and with Hooper (this is also how The Funhouse looks). He had some talent.

Except with the Buck line, which I think introduces his character quite perfectly (and obviously made an impression on the man-child, Tarantino, as well).
Sure, it's fine for Buck. But, as with Tarantino, I think that people who like to quote that line are, like, laughing with Buck. It just makes me want to start an IMDb account so I can add some of those delirious Judd mutterings. "All there is to it."

And now that I re-read your post, I think I misunderstood it on first read. So I agree with what you posted but I'm gonna leave this here because I think it's an interesting point.
Right, I didn't mean that I found it offensive, just that it "ramped up the horror" as you said. Wasn't she in leg braces also? Yikes!
Funhouse is another one I've seen only once, but I remember less about that one than I do EA.

It's far beneath the stature of TCM (obviously) but it is a nice distant cousin to it. Tobe Hooper could be really good while he was still focusing on sweat and grime and the lowlifes that rise up from that.
Yes, this is what I wanted from it when I rented it, and it delivered.

Some neat lighting in that one.
Definitely. One thing I've retained all these years later is how artificial it all looked as opposed to TCM. (not a complaint, just an observation)
Just about every shot looked/felt like it was on a soundstage. Not sure if that was the case, but that's how my memory presents it.

Victim of The Night
Sure, it's fine for Buck. But, as with Tarantino, I think that people who like to quote that line are, like, laughing with Buck. It just makes me want to start an IMDb account so I can add some of those delirious Judd mutterings. "All there is to it."
Oh. I didn't see it that way at all. I thought the purpose of that line was to establish what a complete piece of **** Buck (in both films) is.
But I agree some other quotes would be good as, out of context, it does not exactly shine a favorable light on the film. Unfortunately you can't understand about 80% of what Judd says.

Victim of The Night
Right, I didn't mean that I found it offensive, just that it "ramped up the horror" as you said. Wasn't she in leg braces also? Yikes!
Funhouse is another one I've seen only once, but I remember less about that one than I do EA.

Yes, this is what I wanted from it when I rented it, and it delivered.

Definitely. One thing I've retained all these years later is how artificial it all looked as opposed to TCM. (not a complaint, just an observation)
Just about every shot looked/felt like it was on a soundstage. Not sure if that was the case, but that's how my memory presents it.
For sure there was a hyper-realist style to TCM and, while EA is a lot grittier and grungier than most, it definitely feels like a movie rather than something you weren't supposed to see.

At the risk of becoming a broken record, have you ever heard Entombed's brilliant use of the theme from Phantasm in their song "Left Hand Path"?:

Victim of The Night
At the risk of becoming a broken record, have you ever heard Entombed's brilliant use of the theme from Phantasm in their song "Left Hand Path"?:

Ya know, I haven't.
But I will.

Victim of The Night
If you have never heard the great Thurl Ravenscroft sing "The Headless Horseman Song", you have missed something special:

I'm tellin' ya brother, it's a frightful sight, to see what goes on in the night...

Now, gather 'round while I elucidate
On what happens outside when it gets late
'Long about midnight the ghosts and banshees
Get together for their nightly jamborees
There's ghosts with horns and saucer eyes
And some with fangs about this size
Some short and fat, some tall and thin
And some don't even bother to wear their skin
I'm tellin' you brother, it's a frightful sight
To see what goes on in the night
When the spooks have a midnight jamboree
They break it up with fiendish glee
Ghosts are bad, but the one that's cursed
Is the Headless Horseman, he's the worst
When he goes a-joggin' 'cross the land
Holdin' a noggin in his hand
Demons take one look and groan
And hit the road for parts unknown
And there's no wraith like a spook that's spurned
They don't like him, and he's really burned
He swears to the longest day he's dead
He'll show them that he can get a head
So close all the windows, lock the doors
Unless you're careful, he'll get yours
Don't think he'll hesitate a bit
'Cause he'll flip your top if it'll fit
And he likes 'em little, likes 'em big
Part in the middle, or a wig
Black or white or even red
The Headless Horseman needs a head
With a hip-hip and a clippity-clop
He's out lookin' for a top to chop
So don't stop to figure out a plan
You can't reason with a headless man

Victim of The Night
These are great.
How old is the first one? And I am a Nick Cave fan but don't have this one.

Victim of The Night
Great stuff.
Yeah, my Jazz Fest guests have arrived so I have one more write-up to do and then I'll be stalled for a bit, coming back strong later in the month.

Victim of The Night
For anyone who has never listened to the book and record of The Haunted Mansion from 1969, starring none other than Ron Howard. It's narrated by Thurl Ravenscroft, who sang "The Headless Horseman Song" (above) and also has great characters like the Ghost Host and Madame Leota.
It also features the classic "Grim Grinning Ghosts" song which is still used at the theme park, and is awesome.

These are great.
How old is the first one? And I am a Nick Cave fan but don't have this one.
The first song is quite old, maybe early 1910s. The recording is from Tom Waits' The Black Rider from 1994. The Nick Cave song is from his Murder Ballads, which is one of his best albums. Highly recommended.