Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
one of my favorite disney movies, i agree emma stone did an amazing job as cruella and emma thompson also i loved when theres to emmas vs each other and hopfully cruella 2 will be good im excited bout it!
Has there been word about a second? I haven't heard. I would seriously be up
for that

Pig (2021)

Nicholas Cage continuing to ham (pun intended) it up as a former chef who goes into isolation after a family tragedy. He sells truffles to high end restuarants but someone abducts his prize truffle finding porcine. He is on a revenge mission tracking said porcine. Acting not bad but the story (like so many of Cage's latter work) completely ludicrous.

Re-watch of a delightful movie. Talk about disparate storylines: a love story & the appeasement of the Nazis. Movie managed them both.

Not bad. Well-acted. Sweet story.

Re-watch. Good movie. Maybe a tad too long towards the end.

The Andromeda Strain (1971)
They simply don t make these kind of scifi thrillers anymore, a great film, 9/10

8th Re-watch...to be fair, the screenplay seems to have been written by a high school student, the central character is an arrogant, childish, sexist jerk and Prince is no actor. But the man is mesmerizing in this movie, giving it enormous re-watch appeal, with the aid of his flawless song score and the music video direction which fits the story perfectly. The late Clarence Williams III was robbed of an Oscar nomination for his powerhouse performance as the kid's father too. This is a movie I just never tire of re-watching.

one of my favorite disney movies, i agree emma stone did an amazing job as cruella and emma thompson also i loved when theres to emmas vs each other and hopfully cruella 2 will be good im excited bout it!
I loved this movie too...I think Emma Thompson should get a supporting actress nomination.

Pig (2021)

Nicholas Cage continuing to ham (pun intended) it up as a former chef who goes into isolation after a family tragedy. He sells truffles to high end restuarants but someone abducts his prize truffle finding porcine. He is on a revenge mission tracking said porcine. Acting not bad but the story (like so many of Cage's latter work) completely ludicrous.
I agree with your comments. For the life of me I can't understand why this film got the praise that it did. In the first 10 minutes or so, the pig itself was cute. And some of the cinematography was predictably well done. But the story, and Cage's acting were both silly. In some of the scenes I was waiting for them to all stop and break into hysterics. He must be a darling of the critics.

I watched Stitches (2012). Stitches is a horror movie about a clown who is accidentally killed by some kids and then comes back years later when they are teens to get revenge. It's very bloody and gory, but done in an over the top comedic way. The film is fast paced and fairly entertaining. My rating is

THE VIRGIN SPRING
(1960, Bergman)
Freebie

"A day can start out beautifully yet end in misery."

Set in medieval Sweden, The Virgin Spring starts with Karin (Birgitta Pettersson), a young woman sent to take candles into church by her parents, Töre and Märeta (Max Von Sydow and Birgitta Valberg). But when their day turns to misery, they have to think about their response against those that caused it.

With this film, Bergman extends one of his main themes, which is the questioning of God's purposes in the things that happen to us, and end our days in misery. But on his way to that questioning, he walks us through a valley of dread and death. It is a bit of a tough watch, as things unravel, but Bergman keeps us focused on our main characters: Töre and Märeta, and how they think, rethink, and think again of their reactions to tragedy.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the PR HOF4.

I forgot the opening line.

By "Copyright 1955 Warner Bros. Pictures Distributing Corporation" - Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=89274137

East of Eden - (1955)

This was really good, but not quite as satisfying as I thought it might be, considering it's based on a Steinbeck novel and stars James Dean. Some nice cinematography - Oscar-winning performance from Jo Van Fleet (she's only in it a few minutes.) Louise Smith has a small role too. Ever since watching Five Easy Pieces I've taken to spotting her here and there - she's also in Green Card. I'm not big on Bible allegories though - maybe that's why I didn't think it was truly great. It's strange though, that part of the film's conflict comes from father Adam pushing the Bible forcefully on son Cal - and also driving his wife away by doing the same. I'm not sure what the film is trying to say - because it's doing the same to us in a subtle manner. Maybe it's saying that the words themselves don't matter - it's the actions and understanding that does.

8/10

By MoviePosterDB, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7391458

Dick Tracy - (1990)

I remember this when it came out - hot on the heels of Batman the year before. It has comic book style to burn (it's actually quite remarkable in that regard) and a load of great cameos. Kathy Bates was just about to hit the big time - and coincidentally, James Caan is in this also. It had problems though - not only was there little substance or meaning beneath the style, but Dick Tracy was from a bygone era and no longer popular with kids like Batman was. Also, Warren Beatty was more suited to older audiences. You can only appreciate a good-looking movie for so long before the novelty wears off and you start to hunger for something more. That something more never arrives in Dick Tracy. Nominated for 7 Oscars - winning for set decoration, makeup and original song. I get tired of Al Pacino's yelling after around 30 minutes - his Best Actor nomination puzzles me deeply.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16960322

Camelot - (1967)

How do you like the loooong poster? This wasn't too bad - though I wasn't exactly expecting it to run for a loooong 180 minutes. Songs are nice, and not too intrusive - but I wish there was the lyric "I have to push the pram a lot" in there somewhere. It's the best lyric ever. Recommended to me by a King Arthur mad friend.

7/10

Not Camelot :

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I agree with your comments. For the life of me I can't understand why this film got the praise that it did. In the first 10 minutes or so, the pig itself was cute. And some of the cinematography was predictably well done. But the story, and Cage's acting were both silly. In some of the scenes I was waiting for them to all stop and break into hysterics. He must be a darling of the critics.
Ouch. I really liked Pig. I haven't seen many movies from this year, but it's probably my favorite so far. For what it's worth, I'm partial to Nicolas Cage and movies about people who seem out of place in the world like Ghost World, The Long Goodbye, etc. I enjoyed it as a story about the obstacles that get in the way of our pursuit of happiness, or "things to really care about" like Rob says, and the bitterness, nostalgia and emptiness one can feel when we cannot overcome them, not to mention the insider's look at the restaurant world and all of its annoying pretensions the movie provides. I also just like the way the movie reveals who Rob is and how he ended up living as a truffle hunter. Sure, there's weird stuff in it like how Rob spends most of movie with blood on his face, but they either ranged from not weird enough to take me out of the movie to pleasant quirks. "Good weird," in other words.

I left the theater very frustrated. Honestly, I didn't like anything about this movie. This man doesn't look like Bond. The idea of an older, more sensitive Bond isn't bad for me, but I didn't like the way it was executed. The action, the drama, the villain, everything was so... off...
Well, go and see for yourself. I believe most people here will think it's an "OK" or "GOOD" movie, but for me, it just doesn't work like a James Bond movie. Hell, it doesn't work as a spy/suspense action...
I won't rate it here because I'm still thinking I'm missing something...

El juego del calamar