A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Can’t be any worse then Ghost Ship, right? Right?!

I know back in the days of the Rotten Tomatoes forums, that Ghost Ship had its very serious advocates. I don't recall being one of them though.

However, on a personal note…

WARNING: spoilers below
Taking a Nosferatu vampire and giving him glowing eyes in the dark makes my 2019 short Sangre Dulce looking fairly awkward. Guess I made an unintentional prequel.

But yeah, I had less of a problem with the frequent talky moments than most I guess. Otherwise I agree with your assessment.
I was also pleased to find that he'd ditched the non-linear approach for this series. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, it just kinda seems like it's expected of every series lately, so it got under my skin with his previous shows. That's probably more about me than with the work itself.

But yeah, I had less of a problem with the frequent talky moments than most I guess. Otherwise I agree with your assessment.
I was also pleased to find that he'd ditched the non-linear approach for this series. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, it just kinda seems like it's expected of every series lately, so it got under my skin with his previous shows. That's probably more about me than with the work itself.
Ha! I went on a rant about exactly that scene to my wife. I’m happy someone else noticed and I’m just like… I wrote it first!!! Dang it.

I agree on the mostly linear story telling (a few flashbacks but nothing egregious). Interestingly, I think some of the strongest episodes of HH and BM are ones that play with the timeline, but I do think it is a crutch that too many tv shows use to be surprising rather than well crafted. I liked how this one didn’t lose forward momentum or make me wait an entire episode to discover a fate after a cliff hanger.

Due to all the bullying, I mean, uh, encouragement I experienced in the past several days in this thread, I finally decided to watch Final Exam to atone for my sins.

Overall, I don't have a whole lot of thoughts to say about this film. Many of the characters are cliché college students, it contains a bunch of horror film clichés, and most of the deaths are telegraphed far ahead of time, so I found it to be a pretty mediocre and run-of-the-mill slasher film. However, I did appreciate the motif of pranks which ran throughout the film, mainly how the frat prank in the opening act was contrasted with certain parts of the slasher scenes in the later parts of the film. For example, one of the pranks indirectly lead to a student being killed, the police refuse to help the students after they assume their 911 call is a prank, and another student briefly mistakes a dead body as the student pranking her. I felt the film could've done a lot more with this theme, so I wouldn't say I loved it per se, but I did enjoy the few extensions of the theme we got, even if they ultimately felt half-baked.

Due to all the bullying, I mean, uh, encouragement I experienced in the past several days in this thread, I finally decided to watch Final Exam to atone for my sins.

Overall, I don't have a whole lot of thoughts to say about this film. Many of the characters are cliché college students, it contains a bunch of horror film clichés, and most of the deaths are telegraphed far ahead of time, so I found it to be a pretty mediocre and run-of-the-mill slasher film. However, I did appreciate the motif of pranks which ran throughout the film, mainly how the frat prank in the opening act was contrasted with certain parts of the slasher scenes in the later parts of the film. For example, one of the pranks indirectly lead to a student being killed, the police refuse to help the students after they assume their 911 call is a prank, and another student briefly mistakes a dead body as the student pranking her. I felt the film could've done a lot more with this theme, so I wouldn't say I loved it per se, but I did enjoy the few extensions of the theme we got, even if they ultimately felt half-baked.
At no point did you say…

the killer catches an arrow with his bare hands.

You must rewatch it and re-review it to atone.

At no point did you say…

the killer catches an arrow with his bare hands.

You must rewatch it and re-review it to atone.
Okay, here's my new review:

I liked the scene where the killer
caught an arrow with his bare hands.

Am I redeemed now?

Okay, here's my new review:

I liked the scene where the killer
caught an arrow with his bare hands.

Am I redeemed now?
Did you rewatch it before posting this?

The trick is not minding
I know back in the days of the Rotten Tomatoes forums, that Ghost Ship had its very serious advocates. I don't recall being one of them though.
Hard to believe GS had its advocates. Surely you did everything in your power to help them see the error of their ways, right?

Anyways, I’m going to watch both, because why not, right? I noticed the poster for both DS and GS is incredibly similar and I wonder how much the latter cribbed from the former.

Hard to believe GS had its advocates. Surely you did everything in your power to help them see the error of their ways, right?

Anyways, I’m going to watch both, because why not, right? I noticed the poster for both DS and GS is incredibly similar and I wonder how much the latter cribbed from the former.

If I recall correctly, there was a poster of some esteem who ranked it their best film of the year. Which is why I watched it? My memories of what it was are almost non existent, but I wouldn't count on me hating it. There could have been some dumb reason I gave it a pass.

I remember wondering about the similarities between the poster design and just assuming it was a remake. But I don't think there is many similarities, beyond the haunted ship element. Death Ship is a low budget Canadian affair I can't imagine any American production company would have cared a tit about.

You guys are being too harsh.

I for one am ready to forgive Former Swine SpelingError.

The trick is not minding
You guys are being too harsh.

I for one am ready to forgive Former Swine SpelingError.
Has he watched Nightbeast yet? I feel he needs to watch Nightbeast. Then All can be forgiven.

People talking about Ghost Ship and not bringing up the opening scene is almost as grievous an error as Popcorn not mentioning arrow grabs.

Everyone now has to watch Ghost Ship and Final Exam at half speed TWICE!

People talking about Ghost Ship and not bringing up the opening scene is almost as grievous an error as Popcorn not mentioning arrow grabs.

Everyone now has to watch Ghost Ship and Final Exam at half speed TWICE!

I was going to mention the opening scene possibly being the films selling point, if it in fact had one, but I wasn't 100 percent sure

I was going to mention the opening scene possibly being the films selling point, if it in fact had one, but I wasn't 100 percent sure

Like you have to pretend it doesn’t put meat in the meats.

The first scene of Ghost Ship is one of the best horror movie openings I've seen. It's just a shame the rest of the film isn't able to live up to that scene.

Has he watched Nightbeast yet? I feel he needs to watch Nightbeast. Then All can be forgiven.
Oh, come on now. You're seriously asking me if I've seen the greatest film of all time?

So I watched Return of the Living Dead last night and it was a blast. Funny when it wanted to be yet still full of dread, not sure if I found it scary per se but it's brand of hopelessness against the rising undead tide was gripping.