A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Getting my DVD queue on Netflix ready to go for October. Below is a list of movies that I keep putting off because I don't think I'll like them. Convince me otherwise or tell me I'm right.

(My interest in ghosts and psychological horror has been quite low these past few years in favor of physical threats like slashers, zombies, vampires, and other monsters and creatures.)

The Wailing (2016)
Siren (2010)
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Goodnight Mommy (2015)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Waxwork/Waxwork II (it's one DVD with both movies on it from the '80s)
Mr. Jones
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)
The Gift (2000) Directed by Sam Raimi tho :O :O :O

The Wailing - ok (concur with everyone else)

Beyond the Black Rainbow - I liked, but it's got that subdued 70's sci-fi vibe that makes me wonder how it fits into your stated preferences

Goodnight, Mommy - I haven't seen, but I just wanted to point out, I was under the impression that it is psychological horror.

Waxwork - good, b-movie fun

Beyond the Black Rainbow (hm, wasn’t for me. I know Jinnistan loved it)
I wouldn't say "love" exactly. It made my top 100 for the decade in the 80-ish region, so it's a solid 8.5/10, mostly due to its intoxicating style. But it's a loveless film ultimately, a bit too cold to fully embrace.

I really liked The Gift. Maybe the same 8.5/10 rating there. Probably the best Giovanni Ribisi performance ever, an actor who doesn't always gel with whatever film he's in.

The Wailing has great moments, but could have used about a 20 minute trim and a tightened structure. The title is accurate in that it too often succumbs to melodrama.

The trick is not minding
I wouldn't say "love" exactly. It made my top 100 for the decade in the 80-ish region, so it's a solid 8.5/10, mostly due to its intoxicating style. But it's a loveless film ultimately, a bit too cold to fully embrace.
Ah, gotcha. Enjoyed is probably more accurate.
As much as one is capable of enjoying it, that is.

The Wailing (2016)
Siren (2010)
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Goodnight Mommy (2015)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Waxwork/Waxwork II (it's one DVD with both movies on it from the '80s)
Mr. Jones
The Gift (2000) Directed by Sam Raimi tho :O :O :O
I liked The Wailing, but thought it was a bit overlong and others seem to be bigger fans than I am. Certainly worth seeing.

Beyond the Black Rainbow didn't quite hit that "style becomes substance" mark for me. I was kind of underwhelmed by it and the director's next film, Mandy is a recent favorite of mine.

I really disliked Good night Mommy. I thought that it was too on-the-nose with some of its imagery, and I thought that the final act was both overly violent and kind of a thematic mess. I went to see it in the theater and the person I went with left about halfway through (this was at an AFI theater, so I suffered through the last act of Goodnight Mommy while she found some family friends of ours and got a free glass of champagne at a Gene Kelly retrospective across the hall. Sad face.)

Waxwork is a movie I know I mildly enjoyed, but can't remember much else about it.

Mr. Jones is genuinely a film I consider a hidden gem. I'm really shocked at its IMDb rating. I would give it an 8/10. I thought it was a really cool premise, made good use of its setting and some great imagery, and was ultimately a very conceptually frightening and engaging film.

The Gift is pretty good. It's the reason that when a phone rings around our house, whoever is closest to the phone has to stand there and bellow "MAMA! Phone's ringin'!"

Thanks for the input everyone. Goodnight Mommy was the one I was least looking forward to and the consensus seems to be not great.

I’m also getting Shudder again for October. I feel like I exhausted most of what was available on it last year but feel free to recommend me anything that released since then that’s worth checking out.

Reposting from another thread because I mistakenly posted in the wrong one.

HOT TIP:

Some time ago I recommended the BBC version of Count Dracula (1977), and it has just come to my attention that it is streaming on Prime in the US.

Louis Jourdan is moustache-free, but in most other respects it's a pretty faithful-to-Stoker adaptation. (and it looks great)

(and the Jack Palance version is currently on Tubi)

Goodnight Mommy (2015)
Goodnight Mommy is pretty gosh darn bad. It's unpleasant often for a reveal that doesn't even come close to making up for what came before.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is fiiiiiiiiiiine, I guess, if you have nothing else. It's an anthology that pretends it's not one. It's like an in-world anthology, but not in an interesting way. Like, the framing device is part of the world, and lessens every part. It takes the stories from stuff that might be esoteric or thematically abstract or something, and nails them down to a dull explanation.

Hey, question/recommendation.

Anyone here has seen Banshee Chapter? It's a movie about a mysterious drug that gives everyone the same hallucinations. I never hear about it anywhere. Ted Levine plays this Hunter S. Thompson character in it.

If you haven't seen it, it might fill an open slow this october.

Man, I thought I was in the minority with how much I didn't connect with Goodnight Mommy. Pleasantly surprised by this group of horror fans here.

Man, I thought I was in the minority with how much I didn't connect with Goodnight Mommy. Pleasantly surprised by this group of horror fans here.
We have all the best horror opinions.

Well . . . some of us do.

Victim of The Night
Yeah, when that was making its rounds a few years back I thought it looked good and then a bunch of people, many of whom are around here, poo-poo'd it and so I just never saw it.

Victim of The Night
By the way, I'm gonna try Alucarda again this year. I actually didn't even finish it when I last tried it about 7 years ago but it seems like it should be my thing so I'm gonna give it another go. Probably early or mid-month. Look for it.

By the way, I'm gonna try Alucarda again this year. I actually didn't even finish it when I last tried it about 7 years ago but it seems like it should be my thing so I'm gonna give it another go. Probably early or mid-month. Look for it.
Alucarda is really good. I think I gave it 4/5.

Victim of The Night
Alucarda is really good. I think I gave it 4/5.
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened when I tried to watch it.

First of all, welcome. Second, have you seen Final Exam?

We have all the best horror opinions.

Well . . . some of us do.
*hides quietly in the shadows*

First of all, welcome. Second, have you seen Final Exam?
Thank you.

I have. I'm not the world's biggest slasher fan, but for some reason I tend to watch that one when I'm in the mood for an '80s movie. Oddly enough, I seem to be more drawn to the characters in Final Exam than the slasher aspects of the film.

I have. I'm not the world's biggest slasher fan, but for some reason I tend to watch that one when I'm in the mood for an '80s movie. Oddly enough, I seem to be more drawn to the characters in Final Exam than the slasher aspects of the film.
This is the correct answer! Your initiation is now complete.

I'm not a slasher fan either, but I somehow convinced literally everyone to watch Final Exam, so that's been a running joke.

This is the correct answer! Your initiation is now complete.

I'm not a slasher fan either, but I somehow convinced literally everyone to watch Final Exam, so that's been a running joke.
Except that swine SpelingError.