MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Divorce Italian Style (1961), as suggested by @jiraffejustin. Directed by Pietro Germi, the film stars Marcello Mastroianni as a man who wants to marry his hot young cousin. The problem is he is already married and divorce is illegal. He comes up with a scheme to get his wife to cheat on him so he can have an excuse to kill her. This was well made film with a smart and witty screenplay. Mastroianni is quite good as the horny rascal. Cinematography was very nicely done too. Good recommendation, jiraffejustin.
If you like this, you'd probably also like Seduced and Abandoned also by Pietro Germi. It's a similar movie in a lot of ways, and both are very funny.

If you like this, you'd probably also like Seduced and Abandoned also by Pietro Germi. It's a similar movie in a lot of ways, and both are very funny.
Cool. I will have to check it out. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules
As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me 'So weit die Füße tragen" (2001) I've seen this twice and really liked it.
The Blue Light 'Das blaue Licht' (1932) I thought this was kinda cool especially the cinematography for 1932.
Giovanni's Island 'Jobanni no shima' (2014)
I seen this in a HoF and was impressed.
Sorry I didn't respond sooner guys, but I've been busier than usual the last couple of days. So glad the weekend is almost here!

I don't think I've even heard of any of these before. Finally had a chance to watch some trailers, and I think I'm leaning towards Das blaue Licht, but I'll have to see what I'm in the mood for this weekend. If there's one you have a hunch that I'll like more, feel free to let me know!...
I hear ya about being so busy! I don't have a feeling that you'd like one of my choices better than the others. I hate to brag but I was rather proud of those choices for you especially as the first three that I considered and almost went with probably blew!

Let the night air cool you off
Sleepaway Camp

I've never seen Sleepaway Camp, but I was already aware of who the killer was and the big twist. I wish that hadn't been spoiled for me, just so this could have been entirely fresh. That said, I can tell there is something to this film because I was still enjoying the film and looking for clues. I don't know why it is, but these 80s slashers have way more charm than the slashers of the 90s and 2000s. I am guessing it mainly has to do with the look of the films. The color palette of those later slashers is usually a lot uglier and more sterile. Maybe it also has to do with the 80s having more charm than those later generations too, because the characters in that next generations of slashers are infinitely more hate-able, and not in the same way Judy and Meg are. There is probably something to that VHS era quality giving the films a much seedier, which aids this type of film, look and feel. As far as matching up to slashers of its own generation, Sleepaway Camp is above average. It's not the best I've seen, but it's far from the worst. The Angela Baker character is interesting and I'd be interested in revisiting Sleepaway Camp 2 (yeah, I guess I should have mentioned I've seen the sequel before I saw the OG, but I think I remember hating the sequel) to see how I feel about it now that I have seen the foundation of Angela. The kills are sort of interesting, but nothing all that special. The progression of Angela's actions are interesting as there are "honorable" kills (the pedophile and Mel), there are revenge kills, there is the dishonorable kill of the kids while they sleep, and then there is the kill of Paul at the end which the film did an excellent job of building too.

with a chance to bump up a half in the future.

Memories of Murder / 살인의 추억 (2003)
Direxted By: Bong Joon-ho
Starring: Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyung, Kim Roi-ha

Honestly, I don't really have much to say about Memories of Murder. It made good use of its atmosphere, and has great performances - particularly from Song Kang-ho and Kim Sang-kyung. The cinematography is not as captivating as it is in Mother or Parasite, but considering this was only Bong Joon-ho's second film, its still fairly impressive.

The story is almost as much about police brutality as it is about Korea's first serial killer. The focus is also more on the detectives and their obsession with finding the culprit, leading each of them to question the procedural methods they once believed in. Despite the subject matter, the tone isn't that dark overall, as comedic elements are woven in throughout the film.

I can imagine that the lack of closure might not be satisfactory for viewers who didn't know that Memories of Murder was loosely based on a real, unsolved case. Personally I didn't mind the ending, but I did expect something a little more dramatic that would carry further weight than what actually happened. I still enjoyed the film though, and I'm glad that I finally watched it.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	memories.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	80971  

The Blue Light / Das blaue Licht (1932)
Directed by: Leni Riefenstahl
Starring: Leni Riefenstahl, Mathias Wieman, Franz Maldacea

I was only familiar with Leni Riefenstahl as a propaganda and documentary film maker, so it was interesting to see where she got her start directing. After watching Das blaue Licht, it's easy to understand why she was later chosen to shine the right kind of light on Germany and the Nazi Party. The imagery here is simply breathtaking.

The mountains, and the village at its base are hauntingly beautiful through Riefenstahl's eye. The landscape becomes an essential element to both the film's atmosphere and its story. Sunbeams shining through trees in the forest are simply captivating, even if only briefly seen. The clever use of various lighting techniques, particularly for the titular “blue light”, also makes the film look years ahead of its time.

What I felt Das blaue Licht film could do without was its frame story format. It does lend itself well towards the fairy tale-like quality of Junta's narrative, but it ultimately felt inconsequential. Despite its short runtime, after the action leaves the village, I did feel the film started to drag a bit as well. Luckily the harrowing free climbing climax brought everything back together for the conclusion.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	blaue-1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	81047  

Am I going to post 5 times in a row? Why not.
[...] especially as the first three that I considered and almost went with probably blew!
Do you care to share what those films were now that I'm finished, or are you going to keep the original three a secret for a potential future roulette/rec thread?

Am I going to post 5 times in a row? Why not.

Do you care to share what those films were now that I'm finished, or are you going to keep the original three a secret for a potential future roulette/rec thread?
5 times is a magic number

Glad you liked The Blue Light. I hoped you would of course. Yeah I had a hard time finding an image too for my review at MoFo. Just in case you want to see what I wrote about it....
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...83#post1248283

My original three choices for you, sure I can tell
Journey to the Center of the Earth
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Tank Girl

But then I looked at your Letterboxd account and seen that you had watched Tank Girl and didn't seem to like it. I would've guessed that was a good choice for you, shows what I know

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Blue Light / Das blaue Licht (1932)
Directed by: Leni Riefenstahl
Starring: Leni Riefenstahl, Mathias Wieman, Franz Maldacea

I was only familiar with Leni Riefenstahl as a propaganda and documentary film maker, so it was interesting to see where she got her start directing. After watching Das blaue Licht, it's easy to understand why she was later chosen to shine the right kind of light on Germany and the Nazi Party. The imagery here is simply breathtaking.

The mountains, and the village at its base are hauntingly beautiful through Riefenstahl's eye. The landscape becomes an essential element to both the film's atmosphere and its story. Sunbeams shining through trees in the forest are simply captivating, even if only briefly seen. The clever use of various lighting techniques, particularly for the titular “blue light”, also makes the film look years ahead of its time.

What I felt Das blaue Licht film could do without was its frame story format. It does lend itself well towards the fairy tale-like quality of Junta's narrative, but it ultimately felt inconsequential. Despite its short runtime, after the action leaves the village, I did feel the film started to drag a bit as well. Luckily the harrowing free climbing climax brought everything back together for the conclusion.

5 times is a magic number

Glad you liked The Blue Light. I hoped you would of course. Yeah I had a hard time finding an image too for my review at MoFo. Just in case you want to see what I wrote about it....
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...83#post1248283

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Tank Girl

But then I looked at your Letterboxd account and seen that you had watched Tank Girl and didn't seem to like it. I would've guessed that was a good choice for you, shows what I know
Yeah, I would've thought Tank Girl might have worked for Cosmic -- apparently not lol

After reading both of your reviews I am VERY curious to see Das blaue Licht just for the composition alone.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Memories of Murder / 살인의 추억 (2003)
Direxted By: Bong Joon-ho
Starring: Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyung, Kim Roi-ha

Honestly, I don't really have much to say about Memories of Murder. It made good use of its atmosphere, and has great performances - particularly from Song Kang-ho and Kim Sang-kyung. The cinematography is not as captivating as it is in Mother or Parasite, but considering this was only Bong Joon-ho's second film, its still fairly impressive.

The story is almost as much about police brutality as it is about Korea's first serial killer. The focus is also more on the detectives and their obsession with finding the culprit, leading each of them to question the procedural methods they once believed in. Despite the subject matter, the tone isn't that dark overall, as comedic elements are woven in throughout the film.

I can imagine that the lack of closure might not be satisfactory for viewers who didn't know that Memories of Murder was loosely based on a real, unsolved case. Personally I didn't mind the ending, but I did expect something a little more dramatic that would carry further weight than what actually happened. I still enjoyed the film though, and I'm glad that I finally watched it.

While I do agree on the cinematography does not captivate as much as Mother or Parasite, it does really nail it for its genre of Criminal Investigation.

I had not known while watching it that it was based on actual events and that the killer was still not caught at the time of its making. Bong purposely had Song look directly at the camera during the final scene should the killer watch the film and thereby look directly at them.
I am used, and rather like how a lot of Asian films, especially South Korean films have these unresolved or more rougher endings and quite enjoy them for it.

VERY glad to see you enjoyed it.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Tank Girl

Yeah, I would've thought Tank Girl might have worked for Cosmic -- apparently not lol
I actually quite like Tank Girl for what it is, and have happily watched it multiple times. I just think it's a trash film.

Which Journey to the Centre of the Earth was it going to be? I've seen the Brendan Fraser version haha.

I actually quite like Tank Girl for what it is, and have happily watched it multiple times. I just think it's a trash film.

Which Journey to the Centre of the Earth was it going to be? I've seen the Brendan Fraser version haha.
The old version of course

For future reference, if someone had nominated something like Tank Girl for me, I'd likely have scored it here based on enjoyment alone.

I'll probably end up re-ranking a lot of letterboxd films similarly once I have the time and patience. And also remove scores for films I don't remember super well. Right now I scored them on the lower side under the notion that "if I liked them, I'd remember them better" which probably isn't true haha.

I'm wondering if @BooBooKittyFock will be back in this? He had said he was going to be gone from the 31st to the 5th. I see he logged into MoFo a week ago but didn't post here. So maybe @jiraffejustin @Allaby who were waiting for movie choices from BBKF might want to pick movies for each other themselves? I don't know? What does the group want to do @CosmicRunaway @edarsenal

What do I need to do if anything?
I was just checking that out. You need to select 3 movies for each of your two match-ups in the 4th round, Jiraffejustin and Allaby.

Then you'd need to watch one each of their selections that they already posted for you:
@BooBooKittyFock

Samurai Rebellion (1967; Masaki Kobayashi) - You have Harakiri in your top ten, this is by the same dude and it's also a samurai flick... should be down your alley.

Solaris (1972; Andrei Tarkovsky) - It seems as though you haven't seen any Tarkovsky films, or at least none that I noticed. I don't know much about your tastes, but whether you end up liking it or not, I feel like he's essential viewing.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002; Park Chan-Wook) - Looking through your watchlist, it shows you haven't seen this little ditty. I figured this would be a change of pace compared to the other two.
@BooBooKittyFock, I suggest:

A Single Man (2009)
The Skin I Live in (2011)
Match Point (2005)