Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

Boldly going.
I haven't watched the movie since I was a kid, which, at the time I thought was boring as all get-out, so I might give it another watch and maybe give the book a shot.

A system of cells interlinked
I haven't watched the movie since I was a kid, which, at the time I thought was boring as all get-out, so I might give it another watch and maybe give the book a shot.
The movie isn't out yet. You are probably referring to a different version of Dune from the 80s, perhaps?

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Ecstatic reviews in The Guardian (five stars out of five). That's encouraging. Too bad, this being an expensive two-parter released in the time of covid, that the second half will never ever ever ever ever be made (ever).

Ecstatic reviews in The Guardian (five stars out of five). That's encouraging. Too bad, this being an expensive two-parter released in the time of covid, that the second half will never ever ever ever ever be made (ever).
wait u serious . we know the original always the best but im excited to see the new one anyways it has good cast! especially few from marvel!

The trick is not minding
I don’t see why not, as Marvel is still working on films with budgets just as big as Dunes.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The “Guardian review” is the first glowing one I have heard. Most have been, “Technically great, issues with the story, third act really suffers, sacrifices too much for a yet to be made sequel, shifted too much towards attracting “non-book” fans and not satisfying enough for book fans.”

As far as sequels go, WB has already set an example for green lighting another movie based on a “released on streaming” under performer. Then again, comics.

I was always bummed out Fincher never got to do a sequel to Dragon Tattoo. I really dug his version and Mara was stellar as hell.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Well, we are getting close, so I grabbed my copy of Dune (the book) last night, and dug in. I want to have the book fresh in my mind before I see this.

I figured it would be a good idea to reread Dune before seeing the film, but as I move along through the book, I am wondering if it was a good idea. The book is a towering masterpiece of science fiction, topping many "best of all time" lists. The book is dark and operatic, with a multitude of complexities, rife with subtle nuance. I used to think Dune unable to be correctly translated to the screen, and this most recent reread is only serving to cement that belief...

What s wrong with most user reviews saying the movie is visually outstanding but emotionally empty and dull??

What s wrong with most user reviews saying the movie is visually outstanding but emotionally empty and dull??
To be fair, many of the emotional moments are in the latter half of the story...

What do you mean? You think that concept is inherently wrong?
No but the movie is getting average scores because of the emotionally inept experience

Well, we are getting close, so I grabbed my copy of Dune (the book) last night, and dug in. I want to have the book fresh in my mind before I see this.
I've decided to give the book a go as well. I haven't actually read it before (I remember starting it as a kid, max ten years old, but never finished it then). Now I've read like a quarter of it, and I have some issues, but I'll try to persevere.

DUNE 2021 Denis Villeneuve

2h 35min | Action | Adventure | Drama | Sci-Fi
Writers: Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, Eric Roth
Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Chang Chen, Dave Bautista

Contains familiar elements from A New Hope and The Fellowship of the Ring which is a good thing but takes away a bit from originality and creativity. The scientific advancements, the evolution of language/communication and worldbuilding are good. Overall a great sci-fi blockbuster that ticks all the boxes but is not as groundbreaking as it's predecessors.

+

I believe you are correct.