Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Je Tu Il Elle - 5.5/10

I gave it a 6/10 on IMDB for the nudity. I think many would consider this boring. I was kinda in the mood for something slow, having barely slept in the last two days, and then smoking a ton of kif, etc., but the script is bad. I only see this from French movies. You'll have mostly silence, and when someone does talk, it's neither interesting, or realistic, and instead will critique how a man's hair is parted and that kind of talk is 40% of the script.. Then there will be the critics and viewers (middle-class Democrats probably) who think they're supposed to admire it to sound cool.

As John Lennon said, "Avante-garde is French for bull****" because most of it isn't avante-garde at all. These movies are industry "avant-garde", but it's not even unique. "Buffalo '66" is unique, without the pretension.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Hostage House, 2021

Real estate agent Susan (Jennifer Taylor) is showing a gorgeous 70-acre property when her daughter, Heather (Julia Terranova) decides to drop by. Unfortunately for them both, a pair of criminals, Natalie (Emily Sweet) and Keith (Justin Schilling) also decide to make an appearance.

This movie is terrible. Of course it is. Of course it is. It's called Hostage House, it has like a 3.8 IMDb rating, and I definitely ate half a chocolate bar while watching it.

At the same time, this film was exactly what I needed it to be.

The four actors must have gathered around a hat before filming and each one drew a single method for conveying emotions. Susan drew jutting her jaw. Heather got exasperated sighs. Natalie got narrowed eyes/eye-rolling. Keith drew letting hair drape vulnerably over eyes. (By the way, Keith is that "good guy" criminal you get in these films, and if you weren't sure, just look at the way his hair boyishly flops over his face).

Susan is a delightful enigma. Did I miss a line where she was, like, formerly a combat nurse who personally dealt with terrorist negotiations? She sews up bullet wounds ("Oh good," she casually remarks, "the bullet went straight through!"), and ominously declares that she's "seen too many deals go wrong." Who are you, Susan?!

Also, quite charmingly, despite the film taking place in 2021, Susan loftily brags to the millionaires viewing the home that it comes equipped "with Wi-Fi. For streaming!".

The only genuinely unpleasant note comes in literally the last scene of the film as (SPOILERS, but do you actually care?)
WARNING: spoilers below
Natalie, imprisoned, gives birth to her baby, who is then taken away from her by an indifferent prison nurse. As she screams for her baby, a male guard looks at her and smirks.
. Such a weird and borderline cruel way to end the film.

Anywho, I can't imagine recommending this, per se. But if you ever need a film that's garishly, soothingly predictable, with lots of questionable acting, please consider Hostage House. If you have Wi-Fi, it's streaming!

I forgot the opening line.

By POV - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18729584

Blue Thunder - (1983)

This was above average fare - a fast-paced conspiracy-minded action thriller that was so common in the 1980s and 90s (director John Badham himself helmed the likes of Wargames and Short Circuit along with this.) It doesn't require a whole lot from Roy Scheider acting-wise, but the real star of the movie is the helicopter - and as always, the villain (this time Malcolm McDowell as an old comrade/rival of Sheider's character) is memorable - albeit somewhat subdued. Great action scenes and a very easy-to-understand plot makes this quite enjoyable.

The "He's Out There..." on the poster is interesting. This was initially going to be a film about some insane person going on a kill-crazy rampage in the technologically advanced helicopter. It feels like the poster is advertising the film this was originally going to be.

7/10

By CineMaterial, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3754912

Kiki's Delivery Service - (1989)

This was a foreign language countdown film at #94 - and I saw it going for $2 in a shop so I bought it and watched it. It's outside the range of what I'd normally watch, but was charming, funny and looked good. I imagine kids would love it.

7/10

Foreign Language Countdown films I've seen : 38/101

“I was cured, all right!”
Mobile Suit Gundam I ~ 劇場版 機動戦士ガンダム

The classic!
It's still amazing after all these years. This movie is basically the TV series reissued into a movie. The funny thing is, it works perfectly. It's not as deep as the TV series, but great on its own.

As John Lennon said, "Avante-garde is French for bull****"
McCartney had a better joke. "Knock knock. Who's there? Avant-garde. Avant-garde who? Avant-garde a dime."

Just finished watching the new movie Karen. I honestly enjoyed this. Taryn Manning does a great job and I liked her performance a lot. The film is entertaining, fast paced, and has something worthwhile to say. Keep an open mind and give Karen a shot. You just might like it. My rating is
. (For real, no joke.)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Paul McCartney: 3, 2, 1
This is good. I love any studio stuff. Wished Paul would have gone over "Old Siam, Sir".... I signed up for a free trial on Hulu for this, but man, I might cancel it today or tomorrow. It's full of junk, and about 2-3 movies I've already seen and liked.

… except for the fact that they all have English accents.
Seems unlikely that an actor from the Republic of Ireland (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) would need an English accent in this movie. But, if you say so. (Not to mention Scarlett J.)

Victim of The Night
Love this movie.
Saw it in the theater, alone, after leaving the gym, because I knew none of my friends would go see it with me (buncha 20 year-old boy-men).
Thought it was excellent. Exactly what it should be.

Victim of The Night
You gotta give me more than that.
I was so excited for this movie and then my city got hit by a ******* hurricane and now I can't see it.

You gotta give me more than that.
I was so excited for this movie and then my city got hit by a ******* hurricane and now I can't see it.
well it was amazing movie with great soundtrack , wait u serious that must suck alot

Love this movie.
Saw it in the theater, alone, after leaving the gym, because I knew none of my friends would go see it with me (buncha 20 year-old boy-men).
Thought it was excellent. Exactly what it should be.
same here i saw it long time ago cant remember with who tho lol. that sucks alot cause its a good movie ofcourse people would love to see a chick flick

I forgot the opening line.

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Warner Bros.., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1042805

Roger & Me - (1989)

Anyone who has seen a Michael Moore film will be very familiar with his style of filmmaking, which can be traced all the way back to his debut - a documentary about his own efforts to interview General Motors CEO Roger Smith. Smith was shutting plant after plant and sacking tens of thousands of workers to enable General Motors to open plants in Mexico and pay workers a pittance. It's the grimmest dark side to capitalism, and Moore somehow coaxes some awful points of view from the wealthy people he interviews. Roger Smith had every opportunity to set the record straight - and no matter how biased and creative Moore is in creating the world we see through his eyes, this is a damning indictment of destructive greed.

6/10

By The Bounty - UK poster. impawards.com, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=16069339

The Bounty - (1984)

Don't let the fact that this was a box office flop or that Dino De Laurentiis produced it put you off - this version of the mutiny on the Bounty is pretty good - which made it's 126 minutes fly by for me. We have Anthony Hopkins as Lt Bligh, Mel Gibson as Fletcher Christian - plus Laurence Olivier and Edward Fox along with a very young Liam Neeson and Daniel Day-Lewis. They built a replica Bounty just for this film and shot it around French Polynesia and New Zealand. Hopkins regarded it as a "botched job" - and if so I would really have loved a non-botched effort because this alone is quite enjoyable.

7/10

This could have been such a fun twist on
WARNING: spoilers below
the Diabolique type plot. But the writing isn't quite there and the total lack of chemistry (and honestly, the palpable discomfort at the gay content) with Caine and Reeves just sinks the whole thing. Too bad.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Protégé (Martin Campbell, 2021)
6/10
Sentimental Journey (Walter Lang, 1946)
5.5/10
The Black Raven (Sam Newfield, 1943)
5/10
Yellow Cat (Adilkhan Yerzhanov, 2020)
6/10

Azamat Nigmanov and Kamila Nugmanova are in trouble with the Kazakh mafia in the remote steppes where he wants to express his love for the cinema by building a movie theatre.
Relentless (Lee H. Katzin, 1977)
+ 6/10
Astraea (Kristjan Thor, 2015)
5.5/10
Hollywood and Vine (Alexis Thurn-Taxis, 1945)
6/10
Pleasantville (Gary Ross, 1998)
+ 7.5/10

When brother and sister Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon get zapped into the "Pleasantville" TV show, trouble starts.
Crooks and Coronets AKA Sophie's Place (Jim O'Connolly, 1969)
6/10
The Biggest Bundle of Them All (Ken Annakin, 1968)
+ 5/10
Vendetta for the Saint (Jim O'Connolly, 1969)
6/10
Afterlife of the Party (Stephen Herek, 2021)
6/10

Popular Victoria Justice dies on her birthday but is allowed to come back to try to make amends to a few close people.
The Great Niagara (William Hale, 1974)
6/10
Search and Destroy (William Fruet, 1979)
5/10
Nightmare (William Hale, 1974)
6-/10
Dave (Ivan Reitman, 1993)
7/10

First Lady Sigourney Weaver first recognizes that lookalike replacement Dave (Kevin Kline) is not her philandering husband when she sees his dick.
How I Spent My Summer Vacation (William Hale, 1967)
6/10
Slow Machine (Joe Denardo & Paul Felten, 2020)
5/10
Visit, or Memories and Confessions (Manoel de Oliveira, 1993)
6/10
Worth (Sara Colangelo, 2020)
6.5/10

Washington D.C. lawyer Ken Feinberg (Michael Keaton) is appointed Special Master of the U.S. government's September 11th Victim Compensation Fund and is helped in doing the right thing for the families of the victims by Charles Wolf (Stanley Tucci).