MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
Who's smart here?....I can't figure out how to evenly pair up the 4th round? Maybe I'm just tired or just plain stupid! Or maybe both, ha. But it looks to me that there's no way to do it evenly.
What you could possibly do is do two groups of three. You, Cosmic, and Ed in a group, Me, Allaby, and BBKF in the other group. You recommend for Cosmic and Ed, Cosmic for you and Ed, and Ed for you and Cosmic. Same concept with the other group. We do a two week round instead of one to give time for both to be watched.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That's actually a pretty good idea!

Who's smart here?....I can't figure out how to evenly pair up the 4th round? Maybe I'm just tired or just plain stupid! Or maybe both, ha. But it looks to me that there's no way to do it evenly.
What you could possibly do is do two groups of three. You, Cosmic, and Ed in a group, Me, Allaby, and BBKF in the other group. You recommend for Cosmic and Ed, Cosmic for you and Ed, and Ed for you and Cosmic. Same concept with the other group. We do a two week round instead of one to give time for both to be watched.
That sounds like a good plan.

Question to everyone: was there a way to arrange the pairings so that we didn't end up with an uneven pair in the fourth round?

Question to everyone: was there a way to arrange the pairings so that we didn't end up with an uneven pair in the fourth round?
Using some sort of round robin generator might've sorted that out at the start. Not sure about now though.

As it stands, jj's workaround is pretty ingenious.

Yeah, from the beginning you could have scheduled it out and made it work. For instance, just imagine each member is a number:

Round 1: 1&6, 2&5, 3&4
Round 2: 1&5, 4&6, 2&3
Round 3: 1&4, 3&5, 2&6
Round 4: 1&3, 2&4, 5&6
Round 5: 1&2, 3&6, 4&5

But I don't think there is a way from the current point. One of those things you don't realize will be a problem until it is.

I have some free time and have no idea what I want to do otherwise, so I'm just going to preemptively pick out films for both CR and Ed so I'm ready for the next round no matter what.

I have some free time and have no idea what I want to do otherwise, so I'm just going to preemptively pick out films for both CR and Ed so I'm ready for the next round no matter what.
I'm working right now, at least I'm suppose to be But I will go with JJ's solution for a three way round and post that as soon as I can.

@Citizen Rules
Here are your options from me this round:

Another Round (2020)
Directed by: Thomas Vinterberg
Notes: Pacing and tone are similar to films you've enjoyed in past HoFs, so I think you might like this.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Directed by: Isao Takahata
Notes: In case you're looking for some heartbreak.

The Producers (1967)
Directed by: Mel Brooks
Notes: This really feels like the kind of film you would've seen already, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if you just forgot to mark it off the site lists.

@edarsenal

And here are your picks for this round! If the last one is too new let me know and I can replace it.

District B13 (2004)
Directed by: Pierre Morel
Notes: You said you've been meaning to check this out, so here's a chance. I actually just rewatched it and it's still a fun, fast-paced action flick I'd recommend. As a bonus, you can practice your French (though this isn't québécois haha)

Ikiru (1952)
Directed by: Akira Kurosawa
Notes: Am I just picking films you already showed interest in earlier in the thread? Maybe. I do think this is the kind of sad you'll enjoy though!

Nobody (2021)
Directed by: Ilya Naishuller
Notes: I wouldn't normally have gone with something so new, but your 2021 challenge "Nightmare Mode" still has a few slots for 2021 films and this is a great John Wick-like film that's worth a watch if you're in the mood for it.

@edarsenal

Space Station 76 (2014) Yes, it's only rated a mere 4.9, but those people missed the point of the movie! It's not a sci-fi blockbuster action movie, it's more of a commentary on life in the 1970s. I do think someone who experienced the 1970s would get the most out of the movie. Just don't let the opening credit scene, throw you for a loop.
In the first 1 minute of the film, I formed an opinion that turned out to be 180 degrees wrong and I ended up really liking it.

Alice's Restaurant (1969) This is truly a one of a kind movie, made in 1969 about young people 'hippies' and featuring Arlo Gutherie who so fits this movie, he's good in it too. The movie making itself feels like a free form 'hippie' type movie (I mean that in a good way). I think you'd dig it! I sure did. A happy film.

I Love You to Death (1990) Filmed in the city I grew up in, with some cool local landmarks like Bob's Java Jive, oh and Phoebe Cates never looked cuter, though she only has a cameo.

Is there a way to do a movie title search on someone's letterboxd account. I'm looking to find the choices for Cosmic and I can see how to sort them by a-z or by decade or by rating, but is there a way I can just type the name of the movie and find it quickly?

[...] is there a way I can just type the name of the movie and find it quickly?
If you make a burner account and add me, you could see whether or not I've marked something as seen on the film's page (which you can quickly search for), under "activity from friends". For example:

(Seen but not rated still shows up here too, as do things marked on your friends' watchlists)

If you don't want to go through the trouble to make an account just to delete it later, sadly the best way I found was to sort the person's viewed films by decade, then specific year. Hopefully someone more familiar with the site will have a better option.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lbd.png
Views:	126
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	80834  

@BooBooKittyFock

Samurai Rebellion (1967; Masaki Kobayashi) - You have Harakiri in your top ten, this is by the same dude and it's also a samurai flick... should be down your alley.

Solaris (1972; Andrei Tarkovsky) - It seems as though you haven't seen any Tarkovsky films, or at least none that I noticed. I don't know much about your tastes, but whether you end up liking it or not, I feel like he's essential viewing.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002; Park Chan-Wook) - Looking through your watchlist, it shows you haven't seen this little ditty. I figured this would be a change of pace compared to the other two.

@CosmicRunaway

You're the hardest for me to pick for I know you like sci-fi and fantasy and LOVE musicals but all the sci fis I thought of, you've seen and apparently hated, ha! I did put some thought into these and hope you like one of them.

As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me 'So weit die Füße tragen" (2001) I've seen this twice and really liked it.

The Blue Light 'Das blaue Licht' (1932) I thought this was kinda cool especially the cinematography for 1932.

Giovanni's Island 'Jobanni no shima' (2014)
I seen this in a HoF and was impressed.

[...]all the sci fis I thought of, you've seen and apparently hated, ha!
I need to work on my rating system. A lot of my scores are skewed towards the lower end of the scale because I was using 2.5 as a baseline for an all-around average film I liked. So now there are films I only rated say, a 2 that I actually found quite entertaining and would happily watch something similar.

When I have the time I'll probably go through and re-rate all my films within the context of their own genre or something, maybe base it more on pure enjoyment, even if the film has technical flaws.

I take that back. I found some thanks to letterboxd.

A Visitor to a Museum (1989; Konstantin Lopushanksy)

Divorce Italian Style (1961; Pietro Germi)

The Night of Counting the Years aka Al-Mummia (1969; Shadi Abdel Salam)

I think very highly of all three of these films and they are all very different from one another. I don't know if you would like all three of them, but surely at least one of these would do you right.

@Allaby