R.I.P. Edward Asner

Tools    

Farewell to the wisest of the Gargoyles, Santa Claus and the star of Up. And if anyone wants a rare piece featuring classic Asner...

Great show.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
One of his last roles was that of the arrogant Sid Weinberg, the stepfather of William Zabka's Johnny Lawrence in Cobra Kai. RIP Ed Asner

I watched all of the Mary Tyler Moore Show last year and his portrayal of Lou Grant was perfect. RIP.
I rewatched MTM a few years ago, Ed Asner as the cranky but likeable Newsroom editor was spot on. He was fun to listen to on the DVD extras with his insight of the show.

Had a feeling this was going to happen soon. Brilliant character actor who, though basically known for one role, could do just about anything and won eight Emmys to prove it. Loved him as Axel Jordache in Rich Man Poor Man and his voice work in Up was incredible, but I guess to most people, he'll always be Lou Grant and I guess that's a pretty good legacy. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only original cast members of The Mary Tyler Moore Show who are still alive are John Amos (Gordy) and Lisa Gerritsen (Bess Lindstron)? Another devastating Hollywood loss...RIP.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only original cast members of The Mary Tyler Moore Show who are still alive are John Amos (Gordy) and Lisa Gerritsen (Bess Lindstron)?
Betty White will be 100 in January.

Had a feeling this was going to happen soon. Brilliant character actor who, though basically known for one role, could do just about anything and won eight Emmys to prove it. Loved him as Axel Jordache in Rich Man Poor Man and his voice work in Up was incredible, but I guess to most people, he'll always be Lou Grant and I guess that's a pretty good legacy. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only original cast members of The Mary Tyler Moore Show who are still alive are John Amos (Gordy) and Lisa Gerritsen (Bess Lindstron)? Another devastating Hollywood loss...RIP.
Yeah, the man could act. He got famous in MTM and the spin-off Lou Grant, both excellent comedy series.

I did get a kick out of his cameo with Jack Lemmon near the beginning of O. Stone's JFK.

Loved him on The Mary Tyler Moore Show as Lou, and on Rich Man, Poor Man. He'd been in a lot of Hallmark movies the last few years, playing the wise old gentleman in a small town quite a bit. Godspeed, Ed!

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Man, I grew up watching him and I remember going to see Up on release day. Rest in peace.