Mofo Bros Top 100: A Raul and Sean Production

→ in
Tools    

GBG, really liked Sling Blade so that makes me think it might be up my alley?
I would think so but I have kind of given up on trying to rec you modern movies. I never know what to expect.

Zodiac? I'm guessing.
Long Goodbye too, then you loved The Player. That’s just recent. I just stick to classics for you. Not because I care what you like, I just don’t have a feel for your sensibilities with modern movies at all.

Long Goodbye too, then you loved The Player. That’s just recent. I just stick to classics for you. Not because I care what you like, I just don’t have a feel for your sensibilities with modern movies at all.
Mostly movies in the last few years have been going, bigger, more, wilder with more twist BIG endings, IMO and I'm not a fan of those. Like I said in 2016 there were lots of films I thought were all kinds of great. A couple of them will be making Raul's list, I'll commit then on them.

Been enjoying the dual countdown so far, guys. Keep it up.

Lots of good pick but I'll single out The Player as others have and back it with a recommendation for those that love movies...and a good tracking shot!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Mostly movies in the last few years have been going, bigger, more, wilder with more twist BIG endings, IMO and I'm not a fan of those. Like I said in 2016 there were lots of films I thought were all kinds of great. A couple of them will be making Raul's list, I'll commit then on them.
I think that’s why I was so surprised by your Long Goodbye reaction. That movie doesn’t even feel Neo Noir to me, feels classic Noir in structure. Zodiac has no quick cutting. Character based procedural crime story.

This isn’t a bad thing, I just don’t know how to judge modern stuff with you. Can’t believe I’m calling 70s modern by the way.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

A movie that just checks all the boxes for me really. Some very sound performances, love the black and white cinematography, and a cool soundtrack.

The Last Picture Show is great. It's the kind of film which will hit differently depending on which stage of your life you watch or rewatch it (graduating from high school/college and moving away from where you grew up).

This one really went up for me on the last watch. It's another brilliantly directed film by Scorsese. It's also DeNiros best performance for me

The ultimate bromance culminated into the ultimate list! I love it y’all! I will third wheel the hell out of this thread!

I looked a bit at it but will continue soon when I have the proper time and dedication for such a beautiful thing. Can’t wait.

I have only seen this once but it was pretty much close to a perfect first watch. The acting, cinematography, setting, and sound were all top notch. The lighting was so good in this film too. I've been itching to see this again and I assume it can only go up on a list like this.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Sean - Ah yes our tastes really have started to align since you came into the 80s and 90s. for Dances With Wolves, Braveheart, Jerry Maguire and Good Will Hunting. Not seen Sling Blade or it could well have been a 5 for 5 post

Raul - Thought Parasite was excellent. My second or third favourite film of the year. Loved the scene where they are washed back down to what feels like hell itself with the size of the drop

Didn't really care for Dances with Wolves.

Remember liking Sling Blade, but haven't seen it in a long time.

Love Braveheart and Good Will Hunting.

Jerry Maguire is good. Haven't seen it in a while, though.

The Player is another one I remember liking a lot, but it's been a good while since I last saw it.

Taxi Driver is pretty good and Parasite is great.

My next three movies are actor directed, which is just a weird coincidence, but I definitely took notice of it. Dances With Wolves was a formidable theater watching for me. I think it probably started my love for historical epics. Also may be the movie that made me realize movies can be serious in theme and still be seriously entertaining. Holds up for me, I love it.

Speaking of historical epics. This is one I really didn't think would hold up, unfortunately I was buying the hype. I think it holds up in spades. Great story and acting. Really funny in moments and those battles have to be some of the craziest ever.

I loved this movie when it first came out, if I hadn't rewatched it recently it probably wouldn't have made my list. It is so effective emotionally. Great performance by Thornton. Really love Yokham here as well. Not a false move for me in this one.

Another one I loved from first watch. Gooding gives one of my favorite performances ever. I am not a romantic comedy guy, but I am a sports movie guy. This blends them perfectly for me. Very funny movie.

Another trend you might notice with me is I like dramas that are funny. I just think it brings out the characterizations so well. Most of my favorite directors, with a couple exceptions, use humor very effectively. This movie is really funny to me. I think about certain scenes and lines very often. I don't watch it as often anymore, but I have seen it a bunch and it remains a classic in my mind.
Braveheart is pure kickassery.

Dances With Wolves is ok.

Good Will Hunting is great, will it make it for me?

Sling Blade I remember liking pretty well. Seen once.

Jerry Maguire isn't a favorite necessarily but I like it.

Pretty much everything is there for me with this one, sorry sounding like a broken record. Great script and I love the humor in the film. Jack is at his best definitely in this one. Nurse Watched is played to perfection.