Beloved Russian Movies? Do you have one?

Tools    

Hi everyone!
Really need your help ASAP

I'm a journalist from Moscow (Russia), RBC Style Mag. Now we are making a new issue - it will be on Russian cinema. Well we wonder, what does the foreign audience think of Russian movies? Maybe some of you guys are so lucky to watch Tarkovsky movies. Or a brand new project "Major Grom" on Netflix? Who knows, maybe you met "Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears" in your life somewhere...

There can be various examples. If you would like to share your experience of meeting Russian cinema, please, do it) I really need you to remember some Russian movies and tell me about it in the comments below. I'll be so gratеful for your nostalgia and impressions.

All your brights I'll put together in a feature. And I promise to share it with you

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Yeah, unoriginally enough, it's essentially Tarkovsky (Stalker, Solaris, and yes they qualify as beloved - not seen Mirror yet, though, although high on my to-watch list). And Protazanov's Aelita (1924). I had also seen a couple Eisenstein as a kid (Alexander Nevsky, I think), but too young to fully appreciate or remember them. And also, more recently, the rather brilliant Ostrov (Lungin, 2006) which helped me understand better some orthodox religious friends.

The latest russian film I saw was After Death, by Yevgeni Bauer (1915). For some reason, it touched me very deeply.

I think that's all. Apart from The Mirror, the Russian movies I'm most looking forward to see are a mostly classic sci fi, such as Hard to be a God (because Strugatsky) and On the Silver Globe. Maybe also one of the recent movies about historical space conquest : there's been one about Gagarin or Leonov that I should be tracking, but my enthusiasm is a bit restrained by the fear of it being too nationalistic. It's a bit of a biased reluctance (can't be much worse than US flag weaving in similar movies, I guess), but the fact is, I'm really not fond of Putin and the current moment in Russian history... If it hadn't taken this turn, these last years, I'd have dived into these movies a bit more innocently. It may be unfair of me, but, there we are.

Anyway, I also plan to watch Vertov's Man with a Movie Camera, because it's the sort of movie that I feel I know already too much indirectly (from academic studies) yet always have to remind myself that I haven't properly watched it yet.