Your top three war movies of all time

Tools    

Paths of Glory 1957
The Longest Day 1962
Platoon 1986

Not even close, have another go.

edit: on second thoughts I reckon that's probably their top three and they are not trying to predict mine at all.

what are yours?

You'll find out if we ever do an official Top War Films countdown on here.

Welcome to the site btw, do stick around always nice to see new members joining

You'll find out if we ever do an official Top War Films countdown on here.
I thought i give this place a try. I seem to be wasting my time

Ah, don't give up on the site so quickly - no offense intended.

Welcome Hownos!

My top 3:
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
The Thin Red Line (1998)

The three you mentioned are great too.

Paths of Glory 1957
The Longest Day 1962
Platoon 1986
I just watched The Longest Day and was blown away by this film. I'd never seen it before or even heard it mentioned. It's not your typical hero driven WWII movie, but more like a documentary-style film...I'm not saying it's an actual documentary, just that with the POV from the German Army, The French occupied people & French resistance fighters, The British & American D-Day invasion forces...the film effectively covers the events of June 6 1944 also known as 'the longest day from all participants, which was pretty cool to see. Very impressive FX 'real' special effects, I'm impressed that a film that old could look so damn real.

Your other two choices are great too!

No Top 3 from me but some I think highly of (and not already mentioned) that may or may not appear on my personal ballot should we do a War Films countdown at some point (hope we do)....

All Quiet On The Western Front
Battleground
Der Untergang [Downfall]
Ivanovo detstvo [Ivan's Childhood]
Letyat zhuravli [The Cranes Are Flying]
L'armée des ombres [Army Of Shadows]
Napoléon vu par Abel Gance [Napoleon]
Ningen no jôken [The Human Condition I-III]
Stalag 17
Schindler's List
The Dam Busters
The Dawn Patrol

Victim of The Night
Off the top of my head and just assuming contemporary war movies not historical ones, I think I'll go with:

Apocalypse Now
The Bridge On The River Kwai
The Big Red One

For the record, I think Platoon is awful.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I tried to do this and then I wasn't sure what counts as a war movie.
Two of the three I mentioned aren't strictly speaking "war movies" in my book, but usually considered so - because they involve people in uniforms shooting at people in other uniforms. But they're more opportunistic heist movies during a war than movies about the war's stakes, which makes me enjoy them more than flag movies. So... blurry line. I didn't go as far as mentioning Eye of the Needle (a spy drama set during ww2) or The Good The Bad and the Ugly (a few minutes of which count as a wonderful anti-war diatribe, but aren't central to the film). Or resistance movies (Chypmunk went with the wonderful L'Armée des Ombres, so maybe I should have). Heck, I had even made a custom list (did I now) about war-movies-that-aren't-war-movies.

So, of course, it evenutally depends o the OP's intent, but by default I'd say, go nuts. The borders of the "war movie" category are often the most fascinating.

1. Apocalypse Now
Lawrence of Arabia
The Thin Red Line

2. Ivan's Childhood
Paths of Glory
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

3. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
Das Boot
The Great Escape

I'm not cheating you're cheating

I forgot the opening line.
Off the top of my head and just assuming contemporary war movies not historical ones, I think I'll go with:

Apocalypse Now
The Bridge On The River Kwai
The Big Red One

For the record, I think Platoon is awful.
Good to see someone else has actually seen and liked The Big Red One. I've only seen the 160 minute reconstruction.

If I had to go for three, then I have to be boring and say :

Come and See
Saving Private Ryan
Bridge on the River Kwai

Films like The Captain, The Guns of Navarone, Apocalypse Now, 1917, The Thin Red Line, Fury, Full Metal Jacket, All Quiet on the Western Front, Battle for Haditha, The Dirty Dozen and 100 more that'll come back to me deserve mentions.

Stick it out, have a good read, take the bad with the good and you'll find your patience will be richly rewarded.