MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Tools    

@Allaby

Here's your three movie choices. Let me know if you've seen them or if they just plum don't work for you.

A Face in the Crowd 1957
Birdman of Alcatraz 1962
The Pawnbroker 1964
I haven't seen any of them, but have heard good things and been meaning to eventually get around to them. I will go with A Face in the Crowd.

Here’s looking at you, kid.
@BooBooKittyFock

Here are your three choices:

Barton Fink (1991)
Directed by: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Notes: Saw this on your watchlist and thought it was similar to some other films that you seemed to like. Though honestly I don't remember much about it other than it has some great cinematography.

Mandy (2018)
Directed by: Panos Cosmatos
Notes: Starts slow and slightly arthouse, turns over-the-top gorey. Highly stylized.

Millenium Actress (2001)
Directed by: Satoshi Kon
Notes: You had Perfect Blue from the same director on your watchlist, but I wanted to give you a tonally lighter choice, and this is a less depressing take on similar subject matter.
Thanks Cosmic!

Give me a sec, I just got home, I’ll figure out three films you haven’t seen!

@BooBooKittyFock

Barton Fink (1991)
Notes: Saw this on your watchlist and thought it was similar to some other films that you seemed to like. Though honestly I don't remember much about it other than it has some great cinematography.

Mandy (2018)
Notes: Starts slow and slightly arthouse, turns over-the-top gorey. Highly stylized.

Millenium Actress (2001)
Notes: You had Perfect Blue from the same director on your watchlist, but I wanted to give you a tonally lighter choice, and this is a less depressing take on similar subject matter.
I know I'm not playing, but I just want to say I love this trio of recommendations.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Alrighty, @jiraffejustin here be your choices:

Black Narcissus (1947)

The Chaser (2008)

Fargo (1996)

went with a wide variety in hopes of hitting something you'll be very much in the mood to see. ENJOY

I haven't seen any of them, but have heard good things and been meaning to eventually get around to them. I will go with A Face in the Crowd.
It's a unique movie for sure, even more so for a 1950s movie.

@CosmicRunaway

I’m going to try and give you a 3 films you hopefully haven’t seen, I looked at your link but that’s all I had to go off of.
Lmk if you watched any of the three films and I’ll replace it!

1. The Handmaiden 2016
Directed by: Park Chan-wook
My first recommendation is The Handmaiden. This is my favorite foreign film I’ve ever seen, I also think that you probably already saw this film, but at the slim chance you haven’t, it was worth the rec!

2. Stardust 2007
Directed by: Matthew Vaughn
My second recommendation, an awesome fantasy film, very cheesy but has a good blend of lore and can warm the heart.

3. A River Runs Through It 1992
Directed by: Robert Redford
My third recommendation, is a film that I hold close to my heart. It was my dads favorite film growing up and is now one of mine, if you haven’t seen it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Enjoy, Cheers!

@BooBooKittyFock

Barton Fink (1991)

Mandy (2018)

Millenium Actress (2001)
I choose Millenium Actress!

Looking forward to the watch, lmk if you have seen any of my films again, cheers!

Let the night air cool you off
@edarsenal sorry I took so long

1. Dark Waters

2. Black Orpheus

3. Elite Squad

So I looked at your checklist to see what I could do for you, so here are three non-English language films that will help with getting to ten of those. Black Orpheus is on your watchlist, plus I saw it due to the first round of this game. Dark Waters is an African film that would check off that part of the challenge, plus it is on Netflix (or at least it was last I checked). It has like six different titles, so I just went with the one on Netflix and Letterboxd. It has a young Omar Sharif. It's my favorite of the three I gave you. Elite Squad just came to me when I was trying to think of something different from the other two and more modern.

Let the night air cool you off
Alrighty, @jiraffejustin here be your choices:

Black Narcissus (1947)

The Chaser (2008)

Fargo (1996)

went with a wide variety in hopes of hitting something you'll be very much in the mood to see. ENJOY
I'll be watching one of the first two. I haven't decided which yet. I've already seen Fargo, but I have it on my Letterboxd watchlist because it's due for a rewatch.

And I don't mind anybody using my watchlist to choose something for me, but it's definitely not a requirement. You can go with anything.

I’m going to try and give you a 3 films you hopefully haven’t seen, I looked at your link but that’s all I had to go off of.
Yeah, other than the site's lists I don't really have anything else unfortunately. I've been updating my "seen log" whenever I remember watching a film, particularly when it's not on a list already, but I'm not sure if anyone else can view your seen log.

Lmk if you watched any of the three films and I’ll replace it!

1. The Handmaiden 2016
Directed by: Park Chan-wook
My first recommendation is The Handmaiden. This is my favorite foreign film I’ve ever seen, I also think that you probably already saw this film, but at the slim chance you haven’t, it was worth the rec!
I actually have seen this one, but it would've been a great pick! You don't have to replace it though, since I'll watch Stardust.

I avoided Stardust when it was new because I didn't particularly like the trailer. I've really enjoyed some of the director's other work though (First Class and the Kingsman films), so I think it's about time I give it a shot.

Heading to work now, but when I get home later, maybe I'll look into finally setting up a letterboxd account.
No pressure, I got two out of three, hope you enjoy the film! Have a good day at work and happy Friday!

@CosmicRunaway
Since you’re going to work anyway, ima give this another shot, even though you said you’d pick Stardust.

1. The Raid 2011
Directed by: Gareth Evans
I saw John Wick was in your favorites, based off of that, I recommend this, great action sequences and a thrilling movie from cover to cover. If you have seen The Raid, then the rec will go to “The Raid 2”

Since you’re going to work anyway, ima give this another shot, even though you said you’d pick Stardust.

1. The Raid 2011
Directed by: Gareth Evans
I saw John Wick was in your favorites, based off of that, I recommend this, great action sequences and a thrilling movie from cover to cover. If you have seen The Raid, then the rec will go to “The Raid 2”
Ooh, I've been meaning to watch The Raid for ages now, but just haven't gotten around to it. Now I have a decision to make.

@BooBooKittyFock Definitely going to go with The Raid. I think I'll like it more than Stardust, and when I asked my room mate (who has seen both) which one he thinks I should go with, he laughed and said "obviously The Raid, how is that even a question" haha.

https://letterboxd.com/CosmicRunaway/

I now have a (work-in-progress) letterboxd account! Hopefully I'll have it updated by the time the next round starts. Have to quit for now after only adding recent films since I'm leaving to go see a screening of Free Guy.

@BooBooKittyFock Definitely going to go with The Raid. I think I'll like it more than Stardust, and when I asked my room mate (who has seen both) which one he thinks I should go with, he laughed and said "obviously The Raid, how is that even a question" haha.
Awesome! Glad I was able to pick a film I. Your wheelhouse!

Speaking of, I’m going to switch my choose to Barton Fink, feel like you did your research right and I would like that the most. I picked the other because it was on the criterion channel but I don’t have an issue with purchasing a Cohen brother film!

Awesome! Glad I was able to pick a film I. Your wheelhouse!

Speaking of, I’m going to switch my choose to Barton Fink, feel like you did your research right and I would like that the most. I picked the other because it was on the criterion channel but I don’t have an issue with purchasing a Cohen brother film!
I enjoyed Barton Fink...btw if you need a free link, just give a shout out and someone probably can find it and PM you one.

I enjoyed Barton Fink...btw if you need a free link, just give a shout out and someone probably can find it and PM you one.
I know most cinephiles tend to stick to hard copies like blu ray, but I’m unorganized and I like digital copies, I back them up on my hard drive. I’ll probably just purchase it, there are certain directors I try to collect their full filmography! I’ll let you know if I end up needing the link though, thanks!