The 75 best looking films ever made

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I feel like it's worth pointing out that Suspiria isn't technically a giallo (those tend to be more mundane murder mysteries as opposed to the black magic seen in Suspiria), besides which I don't think any of them go quite as hard as Suspiria when it comes to visuals.

I feel like it's worth pointing out that Suspiria isn't technically a giallo (those tend to be more mundane murder mysteries as opposed to the black magic seen in Suspiria), besides which I don't think any of them go quite as hard as Suspiria when it comes to visuals.
My knowledge of that era / style is poor, so I'm quite happy to be corrected, thanks.

Welcome to the human race...
Not a problem. If you are looking for something that matches Suspiria in terms of style, there's obviously more of Argento's stuff (Inferno is a direct sequel to Suspiria and therefore very similar) and quite a few of Mario Bava's films really laid the groundwork (thinking of stuff like Blood and Black Lace or Black Sabbath specifically).

Not a problem. If you are looking for something that matches Suspiria in terms of style, there's obviously more of Argento's stuff (Inferno is a direct sequel to Suspiria and therefore very similar) and quite a few of Mario Bava's films really laid the groundwork (thinking of stuff like Blood and Black Lace or Black Sabbath specifically).
Nice, I have The Fifth Cord lined up to watch. Is that more Giallo?

Even though I basically agree with this correction, I've for long wondered whether Italians (especially back in the day) consider it Giallo. As far as I know, the term's original meaning is much wider than "murder mystery".

Nice, I have The Fifth Cord lined up to watch. Is that more Giallo?
Yup. Cinematography by Vittorio Storaro and music by Ennio Morricone. Not one of my favourites but still worthwhile.

No 33: 'Woman in the Dunes' (196
Directed by Hiroshi Teshigahara
DoP.: Hiroshi Segawa

Easily one of the most beautiful films of the 1960s. The use of silhouettes and transitions are particularly breathtaking. Hiroshi Segawa also uses wide shots and close ups to ramp up the tension. The ripples of the sand dunes shimmer in the light, the contrast of black and white pops out of the screen. Amazing looking film.

I managed to watch all these movies.

A system of cells interlinked
There used to be cool movies. Now they do it for money and for getting rich. Just think about the lord of the rings
So, in the past, were they making them in the name of charity and altruism?

They are really special, especially from the point of view of their direction and how the characters are included in the script.

No 32: 'The Holy Mountain (1973)
Directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky
DoP.: Rafael Corkidi

Where to start with The Holy Mountain? There is only one Jodorowsky that's for sure. His films appear to be spiritual experiences rather than narrative movies. Colours and dreamlike sequences infiltrating the viewers brain and leaving them there. There are some set pieces performed with props like a Tarkovsky film (little birds escaping out of little holes, carefully extravagantly produced set design to dazzle the audience), yet there are also scenes of extreme nudity / violence and oddity that puzzle.

Either way, the Holy Mountain is a feast for the eyes and deserves to be experienced by any cinephile even if the subject content is challenging.

I was late to the party with Suspiria but agree it's aesthetically quite lovely. Woman in the Dunes is another I was late to and really is quite masterfully made.

Only Jodorowsky I've seen thus far is The Dance Of Reality back in 2017, it had its moments but in the intervening years it hasn't really inspired me to look at any more of his work. Maybe one day.

I was late to the party with Suspiria but agree it's aesthetically quite lovely. Woman in the Dunes is another I was late to and really is quite masterfully made.

Only Jodorowsky I've seen thus far is The Dance Of Reality back in 2017, it had its moments but in the intervening years it hasn't really inspired me to look at any more of his work. Maybe one day.
I've not seen that one. But both El Topo and The Holy Mountain are worth a watch for when you're in the mood for a film to just take you on a dream like journey of colours and semi-fantasy.

No. 31: 'Ida' (2013)
Directed by Pawel Pawlikowski
DoP.: Lukas Za
l

Lukas Zal's black and white cinematography is absolutely stunning in this film. There are many close ups of faces and in many shots, Ida / Anna is placed towards the bottom corner with just her upper body or part of her face showing. This seems to break the rules of contemporary photography, but it seems to be Pawlikowski saying to us that Ida is on the edge of something and the rest of her life is empty. The framing in this film is just majestic.

There could be a book containing about 300 beautiful static images from this film. And I'd buy it.