The Suicide Squad

→ in
Tools    

the movie was pretty good , saw it last night online, loved Margot robbie and jai courtney im glad they were still on it and Idris Elba his one of my favorites also especially loved him on thor cause im a marvel fan .

Yeah, this was good fun. I'd give it between
and

It's kind of amusing counting all the ways in which Gunn imitated the kinds of things he did with Guardians of the Galaxy, but it's fresh enough that it doesn't feel like a retread, and he gets a lot of mileage out of getting to amp everything up with the R rating. I'd definitely watch another, and frankly, I'm at the point where I'm probably going to be interested in whatever Gunn does going forward, given how consistently entertaining his last few efforts have been.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I watched it Saturday, I think? MOSTLY enjoyed it. I got more into it the more I watched but the first twenty minutes or so felt kind of stretched out and the timing of jokes weren't quite right with me, but whatever. It evened out. Overall, it was much better than the first effort, IMO, of course. No weird wiggly witches squirming around. The Groot clone was pretty good and I totally got a Happy! Season 2 vibe with the main objective, but that's cool too. It was fun and never asked me to take it too seriously.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Love Fillion, and Yoda & everyone’s endorsement is a huge deal, but still unsure it’ll take the leap.
For whatever it's worth, I kinda hated the first one and caught that in theater. I only watched this because it was on HBO Now. I had no intention of seeing this on the big screen. MAYBE going in with low expectations helped, but I actually enjoyed it. Idris Elba REALLY helped anchor this flick throughout the silliness of it all---which was also a good thing. If possible, go in as blind as possible without trailers and such. I think some reveals are quite good, if unexpected.

If you liked Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok then you should be able to get into this one easy enough. Just have a sip of water to wash the first Suicide Squad out before jumping in.

For whatever it's worth, I kinda hated the first one and caught that in theater. I only watched this because it was on HBO Now. I had no intention of seeing this on the big screen. MAYBE going in with low expectations helped, but I actually enjoyed it. Idris Elba REALLY helped anchor this flick throughout the silliness of it all---which was also a good thing. If possible, go in as blind as possible without trailers and such. I think some reveals are quite good, if unexpected.

If you liked Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok then you should be able to get into this one easy enough. Just have a sip of water to wash the first Suicide Squad out before jumping in.
Yes, I see your point regarding expectations. Think I won’t have an issue there as mine are at an all-time low, heh.

I don’t have any ideological prejudice against Marvel for being a theme park or a monopoly or whatever. I remember really liking X Men: First Class because of the Lensherr-Xavier relationship. And I love Loki, but he is obviously dead and this multiverse thing (I said that deliberately, I’m aware it’s an extended-universe-thingie) is a bit much.

I do have an intuitive feeling that Elba will likely help matters. Will give it a try and have a glass of water at hand.

Or something else.

Yeah, in case it isn't clear, the last film shouldn't factor into any opinions here. There's basically no relationship and this film basically ignores it (thankfully).

Yeah, in case it isn't clear, the last film shouldn't factor into any opinions here. There's basically no relationship and this film basically ignores it (thankfully).
Oh, that’s good to know. So it’s essentially a standalone?

Oh yeah, 100%. New director/writer, lots of new people. They kept the actors like Robbie who fit the role and who obviously weren't why the last one was bad.

This is basically just "okay, this is how we should've done it the first time." The first film only really exists in that it allows them to skip a lot of the setup from last time. But you don't need to know the first film even exists, and I only remember bits and pieces from it myself.

Oh yeah, 100%. New director/writer, lots of new people. They kept the actors like Robbie who fit the role and who obviously weren't why the last one was bad.

This is basically just "okay, this is how we should've done it the first time." The first film only really exists in that it allows them to skip a lot of the setup from last time. But you don't need to know the first film even exists, and I only remember bits and pieces from it myself.
Oh, that’s why I was confused. Regardless of whether I’ll watch it, this info is essential general knowledge.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I’m always interested in how differently we process entertainment. Being a card carrying member of the James Gunn fan club and of the belief he has made the single best modern comic film…

When I think about the movie, I don’t have a memorable scene. Signature moment. Not even the needle drops.

When I think of all the hallmarks of his style, none really stuck out, except… The R2 and Sebastian stuff (oh, Sebastian) and the cameo. That’s textbook Disney though, so it’s kinda artificially sweet.

Boldly going.
I was surprised when some of the bigger names like
WARNING: "this character" spoilers below
Michael Rooker's Savant
character died at the beginning, and they started off with like 10 Suicide Squad members and ended up with about 5... And that's what makes them really a suicide squad: outcomes are less-predictable, and that's what makes it more fun. The combination of humour and the right amount of serious tone worked overall.

"Num num"!

what, why

I thought it was pretty fun, though how much of that was me thinking "wow this is so much better than the other one" is maybe a little difficult to parse.

Welcome to the human race...
I think my main issue is that it's still fundamentally the same as the 2016 film to the extent that simply redoing the same idea with a firmer execution and a relative amount of freedom being granted to its main creative does not guarantee that the end result will be good. It has the same issue as Deadpool where its attempts at edginess are not only not enjoyable on their own terms but a transparent attempt at masking how much this still feels compelled to play by the genre's rules (to say nothing of how Gunn's recycling of the whole found family/parental issues stuff from the Guardians films does not yield worthwhile variation here despite how much of its extensive runtime it burns on trying to develop these characters in a way that seems counter-productive to a film titled The Suicide Squad). Also the action, comedy, and whatever else doesn't work for me.

Guess there's no accounting for that last bit, particularly since that's basically the entire point of the film: creative gore and adult (well, for some definition of the word) humor. I think "MCU stuff, but R-rated!" is a fairly self-justifying thing, though, even if I expect it'll get old pretty quick.

Welcome to the human race...
I mean, if the Alien vs Predator films taught me anything, it's that upgrading from PG-13 to R doesn't automatically guarantee an improvement.

Nah, not automatically. There's definitely a lazy version of all this. But Gunn's a pretty talented director and definitely "gets" fun, and I think he came up with some pretty fun stuff for this one. But that's super idiosyncratic and it's a total impasse if one person finds something fun and another doesn't.

But surely you liked Nathan Fillion's flying detachable arms, if nothing else.

I actually wondered if you'd find that too easy/obvious to actually enjoy. It is kind of cheap, the comedy equivalent of giving a character a dog to make you like them, but yeah I think it worked anyway like so many cheap things do when done well enough.