The Most Astonishing Cinemas around the World! Check if you live near!

Tools    

Reply if you have ever been to one!
1. Sci-fi Dine-in Theater At Disney’s Hollywood Studios
2. Grand Lake Theatre, Oakland
3. Cinema São Jorge, Lisbon
4. The Projector, Singapore
5. Curzon Bloomsbury, London
6. Tivoli Cinema, Bath
7. Paris Theater, New York
8. The Sun Theatre, Melbourne
9. Grand Teatret, Copenhagen
10. Genesis Cinema, London
11. Museum Lichtspiele, Munich
12. Le Cinéma du Panthéon, Paris
13. Golden Age Cinema and Bar, Sydney
14. Egyptian Theatre, Los Angeles
15. Plaza Theatre, Atlanta
16. BFI Southbank, London
17. Phenomena Experience, Barcelona
18. Le Colisée, Carcassonne
19. Metrograph, New York City
20. Kino International, Berlin
21. Alamo Drafthouse Ritz, Austin
22. Coolidge Corner Theatre, Massachusetts
23. L’Odyssée, Strasbourg
24. Music Box Theatre, Chicago
25. Studio 28, Paris
26. Mareel, Shetland Islands
27. Orinda Theatre, California
28. Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace, Sydney
29. Sala Equis, Madrid
30. Stadtkino, Vienna
31. The Park Theatre, Manitoba
32. New Beverly Cinema, Los Angeles
33. Cineteca Nacional de Mexico, Mexico City
34. Castro Theatre, San Francisco
35. TCL Chinese Theatre, Los Angeles
36. Stella Cinema, Dublin
37. Rio Cinema, London
38. The Labia Theatre, Cape Town
39. The Raj Mandir, Jaipur
40. Le Champo, Paris
41. Cine Doré Filmoteca Española, Madrid
42. Puskin Art Cinema, Budapest
43. The Civic, Auckland
44. ArcLight Cinerama Dome, Los Angeles
45. The Astor, Melbourne
46. Cinema Dei Piccoli, Rome
47. The Electric, London
48. Cineteca Madrid, Madrid
49. Village East Cinema, New York
50. Le Grand Rex, Paris
51. Pathé Tuschinski, Amsterdam

What makes them “astonishing”?

I have seen movies at the Castro in San Francisco, the Egyptian Theatre, Mann's Chinese Theatre, ArcLight Cinerama Dome, and the New Beverly in Los Angeles, the original Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, TX, and the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, MA. A few of those are on the list not for their architectural magnificence but rather their programming and reputation.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Reply if you have ever been to one!
14. Egyptian Theatre, Los Angeles

32. New Beverly Cinema, Los Angeles

35. TCL Chinese Theatre, Los Angeles

44. ArcLight Cinerama Dome, Los Angeles
Went to all these theaters when I lived in L.A. The Egyptian was still showing first run films when we lived there in the '60s, and again in the late '70s to early '80s. It had been built by Sid Grauman in 1922, 4 years before the Chinese.

When I first went to the Chinese it was Grauman's Chinese Theater. Then when we moved back to Hollywood in the late '70s, it had change to "Mann's" Chinese Theater. Of the two, the Egyptian was more stunning and ornate inside. It was also larger. Now they've busted it up for other endeavors, including a very small theater for special events.

Went to the Beverly a time or two before Tarantino owned it. I believe it was an art house then. It was named because of it's location on Beverly Dr.

And the Cinerama Dome was an eye popper. Don't remember the film, but it was in super wide format Cinerama. I think it's still in use.

I probably was at the Village East, but can't recall for sure. We went to 6-7 theaters in NYC when living there in '67/68. Saw Bonnie and Clyde at the Embassy on Bwy & 72nd in 1967.

And I may have been to one of the London cinemas. In '71 or '72 we were there on tour. I went to see The Last Picture Show at a large London theater, and got so homesick that my heart ached!

The Paris movie theater is a single-screen movie theater on West 58th Street across from the Plaza Hotel. Saw many movies there when I lived in Manhattan. Still managing to hold on.

This used to be the old D.W. Griffith single-screen movie theater on East 59th Street. One block from my NYC apartment, but, now, sadly long gone.