Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

I think she knows her weight and bank balance.
Do you even know the going wage of a Death Nurse these days?

Do you even know the going wage of a Death Nurse these days?
Do I need to watch all the movies to find out.

The Sparks Brothers 4/5
Joker 3.5/5
I'd go slightly higher for that second film, but I'm certainly glad you didn't straight-up hate it like some did, at least.

I'd go slightly higher for that second film, but I'm certainly glad you didn't straight-up hate it like some did, at least.

I can sympathize with those that hate it. I found it vaguely annoying for a good chunk of its run-time. It's not terribly original, and I got the sense it took itself a little more seriously than I was willing to , but I can't pretend I wasn't compelled by its images and Phoenix's performance. Looked at through the lens of being a comic book film, and resisting its attempts to make me grapple seriously with its Bickelisms, it is unsettling.

I land at about the same rating as Crunbsroom. I liked Phoenix and appreciated that it didn't go for the usual flashy kind of Scorsese imitation, but also found it so studied in imitating the aesthetics and tone of its influences that I struggled with why I wasn't just watching those instead.

You know, I've never really liked Sparks that much either. Very unpopular take as they're getting some sun recently.

You know, I've never really liked Sparks that much either. Very unpopular take as they're getting some sun recently.

I'm a medium fan and the documentary would likely be a real slog for anyone who is not at least that as it addresses all 25 of its records in some amount of depth. This was ultimately what won me over though, as it is rare that a music doc is about the entirety of a career. And with a band like Sparks, it gives you a window into what it is like to survive below the surface, and never compromise, for Forty plus years.

It's equally exhausting as it is exhilarating.

I'm a medium fan and the documentary would likely be a real slog for anyone who is not at least that as it addresses all 25 of its records in some amount of depth. This was ultimately what won me over though, as it is rare that a music doc is about the entirety of a career. And with a band like Sparks, it gives you a window into what it is like to survive below the surface, and never compromise, for Forty plus years.

It's equally exhausting as it is exhilarating.
It's a great story. I like the idea of Sparks, I admire their zeal and spirit and productivity and stubborness. They're a band I should like, want to like, theoretically how can I not like? Yet when I listen to their actual music. I don't like. It's like Prefab Sprout. I wish I could like them.

It's a great story. I like the idea of Sparks, I admire their zeal and spirit and productivity and stubborness. They're a band I should like, want to like, theoretically how can I not like? Yet when I listen to their actual music. I don't like. It's like Prefab Sprout. I wish I could like them.

That's like me with Roxy Music.

I was cold on Prefab Sprout for years, and it was only during the pandemic that I found the time to force Steve McQueen upon myself until it clicked. It's a good record.

I was cold on Prefab Sprout for years, and it was only during the pandemic that I found the time to force Steve McQueen upon myself until it clicked. It's a good record.
Oh wait. I was thinking of Scritti Politti. Never mind.

I am listening to Roxy Music as I read this.
Don't hate me.

I don't dislike them. And I suspect one of these days, as I keep plugging away at all of the records of theirs I have, an A Ha moment will eventually happen. But as it stands now, they are in a purgatory with a couple of other artists that I respect but just can't quite connect with (Rush, Depeche Mode, Run DMC, Eric Clapton).

A system of cells interlinked
But as it stands now, they are in a purgatory with a couple of other artists that I respect but just can't quite connect with (Rush, Depeche Mode, Run DMC, Eric Clapton).

Ouch! Say it ain't so!

What drives you away from these artists? Geddy's voice? Pretentious lyrics? Mode's sort of drone-ish sound?

Oh wait. I was thinking of Scritti Politti. Never mind.

Cupid and Psyche is pretty great too. But, there is something about Gartsides voice, that would have made me assume they were much too dainty and precious for your tastes. Even if the band themself actually seem to be influenced by a bunch of artists that would be very much your thing (they are pretty ****ing tight for such a sucky baby little unit)