Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Even though it speaks to some kind of brain damage to give Things a perfect score, Things is such an alternate universe that if you accept what is happening, how can you not give it a perfect score?

Beyond the Door is very much of this earth. It has many corporal limitations. You can almost see the movie it wants to be, and it makes you want to hate it. So it isn't as easy to impress on the garbage meter.

Personally, I would put Things significantly above it, as that is this wonderful artifact that feels like you found it between some couch cushions while reaching for the remote. Beyond the Door, on the otherhand, is an artifact in the way an old candy wrapper is. Sure, you can also find one of these between couch cushions, but your instincts are probably to immediately throw it out. Even though it might be the rarest of candy wrappers and possibly worth many many quantities of nickels and should treat it with as much respect.

Hopefully you can find the respect that Beyond the Door deserves though. Just don't give it a perfect score (like I probably did). You have to retain some kind of credibility in this world.
You mention not Death Nurse 2. Am I to take it that you have not witnessed it’s majesty?

I shall take this time, and perhaps it is merely the cheap wine and expensive beer talking, to compliment your gift of gab and how much I enjoy your ramble even when we disagree and you shamelessly expose your lack of Death Nurse 2 knowledge.

I shall watch Beyond the Door before the week ends!

Victim of The Night
I lied, I watched Barracuda, Cruel Jaws and Orca after that, so I clearly didn't learn my lesson fast enough.
I have this strange affection for Barracuda.

As a side note, can we (very) briefly talk about what a godawful cover In Utero has?

Ack!
What's wrong with it, out of curiosity?

It's pretty funny stuff. I love the first appearance of the shark here, where they clearly used an inflatable shark held under water and released to propell itself out of the surface. It just kinda bobs like it's the first shark with sciatica. Here's a taste (the whole film is in better quality on yourube as well).

[/quote]

We're you a fan of anything before.
Not really, but I just didn't pay her much attention. I've only heard a couple of songs, and, again the Radiohead influence, I didn't hate them. It just wasn't on my radar. Now with this new one, I don't like it as much as some people who seem to be saying that she's created a whole new genre and is bound to be the next big defining icon of the decade, but I do think it's smarter than the bulk of her contemporaries. There was an Onion joke recently about how Kanye West has reached out to Eilish to inquire about a collaboration on a future mutual meltdown.

I'm pretty sure back in RT days, anyone who had seen it, considered it completely worthless. And while I think they are fundamentally wrong, it's hard to argue with them. I get the hate. Even though they are incorrect and should do better.
I'm sitting right here, crumbs. Don't act like you're not looking in my direction.

I think, more specifically, I've said that Beyond the Door is the worst Exorcist rip-off of all time, and that's not exactly worthless. Someone has to toe that line. An admirable sacrifice, in fact. But I would also place it pretty far at the bottom of the 70s Italian horror canon.

Now Demon Witch Child? Released the same year from Spain, aka La Endemoniada, is my preferred choice for bad Exorcist rip-off, not because it's necessarily any better per se, but because it's more entertaining in being frightfully bad. You can't go wrong with the possessed girl doing a demonic Jimmy Cagney impression, and, as Cap'n Terror has pointed out, the cameo of David Cassidy as demonic paraphernalia is priceless.

Is this the same Beyond the Door that Shock was renamed Beyond the Door II as a sequel in the US despite having no relation to it?
I cannot stress enough that Shock (Beyond the Door 2) is a vastly superior motion picture with a truly evil child, no devil intervention required.

Are you telling me to go...beyond the door?
Yes....and reach for that copy of Demon Witch Child sitting behind it.

You can't go wrong with the possessed girl doing a demonic Jimmy Cagney impression, and, as Cap'n Terror has pointed out, the cameo of David Cassidy as demonic paraphernalia is priceless.
The power of Partridge compels you!
The power of Partridge compels you!

Hey Crumbs. Stu was mentioning this forum a decent amount at another RT refugees board. And this summer I finally saw a Conjuring movie (the first one ftr), and couldn't help but think of you as I did so.

I think, more specifically, I've said that Beyond the Door is the worst Exorcist rip-off of all time, and that's not exactly worthless. Someone has to toe that line. An admirable sacrifice, in fact. But I would also place it pretty far at the bottom of the 70s Italian horror canon.
I have only seen the trailer for Beyond the Door. I am curious if you've seen Seytan (the Turkish ripoff) or not - a movie, which I couldn't tell if there was actual entertainment value in the movie or only in the subtitles. And the latter, I did not feel comfortable assuming the comedy was coming from the movie and not the translator being snarky.

Hey Crumbs. Stu was mentioning this forum a decent amount at another RT refugees board. And this summer I finally saw a Conjuring movie (the first one ftr), and couldn't help but think of you as I did so.
Please, it's RTefugees. Still, glad to see that me constantly nagging people to come to forums is paying off a bit here, so welcome to the MoFo, Ash!

I am curious if you've seen Seytan (the Turkish ripoff) or not - a movie, which I couldn't tell if there was actual entertainment value in the movie or only in the subtitles. And the latter, I did not feel comfortable assuming the comedy was coming from the movie and not the translator being snarky.
I have seen Seytan, and it's probably still on youtube. It's not technically better than Beyond the Door but it's more fun.

Victim of The Night
You must have already seen The Last Shark (Great White) which happens to feature Vic Morrow involved in a deadly helicopter accident. Weird, huh?
I have seen Great White but Up From The Depths remains my favorite Jaws knockoff.

Huge fan of his song Gospel for a New Century. Everything else leaves me lukewarm.

Gospel feels much too fully formed, in comparision to his woozier efforts like this. I havent been as gaga as some have been over his Safe in the Hands of Love LP, mostly because of how much music journalists have played up his experimental past, and pretended that this is some kind of unidentifiable new music. It's not, even remotely, and so I got my hopes up a bit. But he has some fairly affecting tracks that slowly worm their way into you, because of their occassional half formed quality.

You mention not Death Nurse 2. Am I to take it that you have not witnessed it’s majesty?

I shall take this time, and perhaps it is merely the cheap wine and expensive beer talking, to compliment your gift of gab and how much I enjoy your ramble even when we disagree and you shamelessly expose your lack of Death Nurse 2 knowledge.

I shall watch Beyond the Door before the week ends!

I don't know Death Nurse 2. It's true. I think I may have heard of it before, but alas, I am ignorant beyond that.

I'm sure it was the cheap wine to blame. Maybe if the beer was cheap too, it could have taken some credit for appreciating half conscious rambling. But, as long as we have a place to come and enjoy disagreeing with eachother, we'll be good.

I'm sitting right here, crumbs. Don't act like you're not looking in my direction.

Now Demon Witch Child? Released the same year from Spain, aka La Endemoniada, is my preferred choice for bad Exorcist rip-off, not because it's necessarily any better per se, but because it's more entertaining in being frightfully bad. You can't go wrong with the possessed girl doing a demonic Jimmy Cagney impression, and, as Cap'n Terror has pointed out, the cameo of David Cassidy as demonic paraphernalia is priceless.

I cannot stress enough that Shock (Beyond the Door 2) is a vastly superior motion picture with a truly evil child, no devil intervention required.

I think there were more than a few on RT who didn't give this movie the time of day. My overall impression when I left there was that Beyond the Door wasn't even worth bothering with. And so I didn't. So if you want to take some of the blame for such terrible guidance, feel free. It's one of my favorites that I finally found the time for during this pandemic. Now I just got to get around to Night of a Thousand Cats (maybe next quarantine)

I actually started Demon Witch Child about two weeks ago, but didn't get more than five minutes in because I was tired. I've kept it book marked in my brain ever since though.

Oh, hello. I hope my kind words regarding the Conjuring made it so you politely refused to give that movie a fair chance while watching. My life goal is to block James Wan from gaining any more positive juju than necessary.