Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Terrific movie. Sad & strange that 2 of the 3 leads died prematurely in 2017.

And whatever happened to Fonda? I see she hasn’t made a movie since 2002.

As I was planning to watch the rest of..

The Ninth Configuration

Quite an amazing film hence the rating, though as I almost fell asleep trying to watch it the first time I would personally recommend viewing on a full 9 hours of sleep.

The only one I've held off on is Torn Curtain mostly because of it it's low Tomatometer.
Torn Curtain is actually a decent cold war thriller type film, but it suffered from the incomprehensible casting and pairing of Paul Newman and Julie Andrews. However it did feature a nice turn by the incomparable Lila Kedrova (of Zorba the Greek fame).

The other deficit was the absence of a score by the inimitable Bernard Herrmann. Hitchcock's refusal to use Herrmann's score caused an irreparable rift in their professional relationship, causing them never to work together again. Reportedly there is a version floating around with Herrmann's score added. I'd love to see that one.

But I think you'd enjoy it. It's not great Hitchcock, but it's a very watchable film.

I've only seen Sciamma's Water Lilies is she really crazy feminist? I was gonna watch Portrait Of A Lady On Fire.
Folks on here toss around feminist and woke to the point of meaningless around here.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is great.

The trick is not minding
Folks on here toss around feminist and woke to the point of meaningless around here.

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is great.
Not sure the first sentence is necessary. It’s essentially calling out people without naming them and serves no purpose here, nor does it have much, if anything, to with his question.

Not sure the first sentence is necessary. It’s essentially calling out people without naming them and serves no purpose here, nor does it have much, if anything, to with his question.
Posting on a message board isn’t necessary nor is someone complaining about Sciamma’s apparent crazy feminism.

Yet here we are.

It’s relevant because it’s a part of this board’s culture and is actively discouraging posters from checking out quality films due to this persistent and flippant usage of political terminology.

So what’s the use in trying to police my discussing it as it happens?

The trick is not minding
Posting on a message board isn’t necessary nor is someone complaining about Sciamma’s apparent crazy feminism.

Yet here we are.

It’s relevant because it’s a part of this board’s culture and is actively discouraging posters from checking out quality films due to this persistent and flippant usage of political terminology.

So what’s the use in trying to police my discussing it as it happens?
Critiquing a director, however wrong they are (and I agree with you on this) isn’t the same as calling out “folks”. *
His question had nothing to do with said calling out “folks” and was asking about a film itself.

It isn’t “policing” so much calling out something close to grandstanding, and I didn’t want it to derail the thread.

Yet here we are.

The trick is not minding
Bleh. I’m acting like a mod. I’m not a mod. that isn’t my intention. So, let me extend an olive branch before it derails this any further.
Cool?

Critiquing a director, however wrong they are (and I agree with you on this) isn’t the same as calling out “folks”. *
His question had nothing to do with said calling out “folks” and was asking about a film itself.

It isn’t “policing” so much calling out something close to grandstanding, and I didn’t want it to derail the thread.

Yet here we are.
It’s definitely hall monitor style posting and all it does is redirect the conversation to being about the culture of this site, which does have that exact issue.

I was addressing their (and others) sloppy film criticism, which is at least more “on topic” than what you’re currently doing

Bleh. I’m acting like a mod. I’m not a mod. that isn’t my intention. So, let me extend an olive branch before it details this any further.
Cool?
Disregard the post I made while you were writing this. We cool.

Less fighting, more Nightbeast.

*stamps punchcard*
Is it one of those "crazy feminist" movies?

Could be, we never learn the Nightbeast's gender.

The trick is not minding
It’s definitely hall monitor style posting and all it does is redirect the conversation to being about the culture of this site, which does have that exact issue.

I was addressing their (and others) sloppy film criticism, which is at least more “on topic” than what you’re currently doing
I didn’t read your post as “addressing their films criticisms” so much as calling them out for their beliefs, however flawed it was.*

I didn’t consider that “on topic”.*
Anyways. We’re cool.