The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I'm usually not a fan of Cera but he does well here
While I like Scott Pilgrim overall - due to its amazing supporting cast, Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are both absolutely horrible in this, so it's strange to read that you liked Cera. They have no chemistry together, and it nearly ruins the entire film. The ending is a whole other issue I'll get to below.

Interesting if this really is a comic book adaptation which it must be.
It is, and it's written by a Canadian, Bryan Lee O'Malley. The original comics (which are a fun, quick read) have a few Canadian references that were sadly cut from the film haha.

WARNING: "Film and Comic Ending" spoilers below
Even ignoring Cera and Winstead's lack of chemistry on screen, based on their characters interactions in the film, it really doesn't make sense for Scott and Ramona to end up together, and that's my least favourite thing about the adaptation.

The film was released before O'Malley finished the comics, and when the final volume came out later, the two actually didn't end up together. Scott and Knives become a couple instead, which makes much more sense in both versions.

Silent Running: My big take away is that the botanist picked to regrow the planet didn’t know he needed light. Not a lot going on in the movie, and it didn’t have much going on for me. Dern was good, and I am always into robots with human personality.

Silent Running: My big take away is that the botanist picked to regrow the planet didn’t know he needed light. Not a lot going on in the movie, and it didn’t have much going on for me. Dern was good, and I am always into robots with human personality.
Yea I love Dern but I didn't get much out of that movie.

Love that movie and Bruce Dern is a big part of the reason why...The other reason are the robots, which put those crummy Star Wars robots to shame

While I like Scott Pilgrim overall .
WARNING: "Film and Comic Ending" spoilers below
Even ignoring Cera and Winstead's lack of chemistry on screen, based on their characters interactions in the film, it really doesn't make sense for Scott and Ramona to end up together, and that's my least favourite thing about the adaptation.

The film was released before O'Malley finished the comics, and when the final volume came out later, the two actually didn't end up together. Scott and Knives become a couple instead, which makes much more sense in both versions.
I'm a bit torn, because
WARNING: spoilers below
Scott treated Knives SO horribly, that I didn't mind that they didn't end up together in the film. I think that if they'd put more work into the resolution of their relationship, it could have made sense for them to end up together. As it was, though, he did not deserve her.

High Noon is one I didn't like much when I first saw it but was forced to watch it again and liked it a lot more. Was simply a case of putting more modern movie viewing expectations on an older film the first time I watched it. Thankfully, I've got that out of my system and can really enjoy old films.

Just watched The Manchurian Candidate earlier this year. Thought it was pretty good and loved the ending.

Always go back and forth between which Keaton film is my favorite - Steamboat Bill, Jr. or The General. Steamboat is a little more fun but the General is probably a better film. Can't really go wrong with either one, though.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Creature From the Black Lagoon

“There are many strange legends in the Amazon. Even I, Lucas, have heard the legend of a man-fish.”

Fun creature feature, in which a group of scientists go on an expedition to find the fossilized remains of a creature and end up with more than they bargained for.

There are some interesting aspects to this – I liked that the leading man isn’t set on killing the creature, for example, but wants to keep it alive, setting up tension with the money man who wants to bring back the body. I liked that the female character was also a scientist who has useful contributions to make at times, but she is later reduced to the role of screaming and being kidnapped.

There are some nice scenes underwater. According to my 12 year old, “it’s good picture quality for something that’s seventy years old.” True enough.

It's not particularly tense or scary. I also found the bane of a lot of 50s movies, an overwrought musical score, annoying at times. There were also a couple of bits that were poorly done – the small bundle of twigs that is apparently blocking them from leaving, and the way Kay just rolls on the floor so the creature can easily pick her up which mark it out as low budget.

All that swimming in the Amazon, though. Never mind the creature, what about the piranhas?
Personally I really liked it when I saw it last year. Will be cool to see again too.

I really liked The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and would put it near the top of the Universal Monster movies.

High Noon is one I didn't like much when I first saw it but was forced to watch it again and liked it a lot more. Was simply a case of putting more modern movie viewing expectations on an older film the first time I watched it. Thankfully, I've got that out of my system and can really enjoy old films.
That happened to me too...One of the first old films I watched was Casablanca and I was use to newer films so I thought it was only just OK. Now it's a 5/5 movie for me.

Always go back and forth between which Keaton film is my favorite - Steamboat Bill, Jr. or The General. Steamboat is a little more fun but the General is probably a better film. Can't really go wrong with either one, though.
I've not seen Steamboat Bill, Jr. Well there's always the next Personal Rec, hint, hint

I really liked The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and would put it near the top of the Universal Monster movies.
I held off watching that cause I though it would be just a corny B monster 50s movie, but the underlying theme of humans encroaching into nature where they didn't belong, worked well for me...especially as I felt sympathy for the creature who just wanted to be left alone. The movie contains one of the great 'narrative shots' that I've seen. It's a simple shot but conveys the entire story in just one image.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have yet to see Manchurian Candidate.

It's been at least a decade since I saw The Caine Mutiny, and while I can't remember a lot, I remember enjoying it very much with only the occasional lag in the story.

I actually had to go back and read my review from the 22nd HoF for [b]I, Daniel Blake] which, at the time, did leave me "speechless," and I ended that review commenting, "A powerful film about a very everyday situation that shouldn't be but is."

I haven't seen Creature From the Black Lagoon since I was a wee tyke. Nearly fifty years ago and back then, it was the usual monster fair and one of the few that I never seemed to revisit. I should really rectify that.

Silent Running Another I hadn't seen since I was a kid when it showed on Night at the Movies on TV, and at the time I absolutely loved it. The fact that the three robots were named Huey, Louey, and Dewey and their personalities were so engaging for a pre-ten-year-old, and OH I would cry EVERY SINGLE time I saw that ending. . . I've been truly intrigued as of late to revisit now as an old fogey. I'm sure the ending will still get me, but I've wondered how the remainder of the film would hold out.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Grave of the Fireflies aka Hotaru no haka (1988)

Setsuko: Why do fireflies die so soon?

This was everything I had expected it to be, including how beautifully sad it would end up being. I knew for a fact that I would have rather not viewed this for the emotional impact it would cause me. Knowing full well how incredibly beautiful this film would be and is.
Even a day later, as I write this, it still permeates and weighs me down. Its emotional impact was still powerful enough to circumvent the foreknowledge of what would occur, along with the opening scene. The inevitable sadness STILL affected me due to how masterfully poetic director Isao Takahata brings this story of orphaned Seito trying his very best to care for his little sister, Setsuko, amidst the ever-present air bombing. Its devastation was relentlessly visited by American aircraft continually bombing Japan at the end of WWII.

In fact, this year, I have watched several beautifully done, incredibly tragic Japanese films set during that time, and each has moved me. Two of which were anime. A couple I would venture back to, and while I am so very tempted to with GotF at this exact moment, the gripping sadness is too intense to override the utter beauty of both the animation as well as the very story itself to revisit. Though at some point, I feel that I will. Because of JUST how beautiful this tragic film is.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
In Cold Blood

"They who had no pity, now ask for yours. They who had no mercy, now ask for yours. They who shed no tears, now ask for yours. If you have tears to shed, weep not for them, weep for their victims."

I think this was a very fine film, with a couple of reservations.

It looks fantastic – a very stark black and white, with well shot rainfall at times and some deliberate choices of transitions between scenes. The stark and moody look of the film chimed perfectly with the tone and atmosphere. It was an interesting story, too. The acting was good, especially from Scott Wilson as the sociopath Hickcock.
WARNING: "In Cold Blood" spoilers below
I liked the way the movie didn’t show the murders at first and almost built up sympathy for Perry, who seemed a nervous accessory to Hickcock’s nasty amoral charmer, only to pull the rug by revealing it was Perry who killed the family in a frenzy of lost control.

The reservations: First, parts of the ending. I don’t think it was at all necessary to have narration, or commentary from random reporter characters or any attempts at moralising, and it made the film a bit too long. Second, I don’t really like true crime stories. The decision to focus on the killers would be just fine in a fictional film, but there’s something a little off about using real life murders with real life victims as entertainment. In an attempt at realism they actually used some of the real locations of the murder and photos of the victims, which made me a little queasy.

I would recommend this film to noir fans. It has certainly stuck with me since I watched it.

Viridiana

I felt like this was the sort of arthouse film that I would like even with having a bit of a rough history with Bunuel, and for the most part that prediction was right. The best part of the film is the uneasiness of the first half. Even if it's a risky subject matter it was filmed very well and I thought Silvia Pinal did a real good job in the lead role. I'm guessing the incest subject matter is why the film was banned obviously. The film was beautiful to look at certainly, the scenes with Pinal in that gown were filmed very well. It definitely loses some luster in that second half and in particular fails to shine when Pinal isn't on the screen, but overall I still think it was pretty well done. Great camera shots throughout the film too. I dug it well enough.

That happened to me too...One of the first old films I watched was Casablanca and I was use to newer films so I thought it was only just OK. Now it's a 5/5 movie for me.

I've not seen Steamboat Bill, Jr. Well there's always the next Personal Rec, hint, hint

I held off watching that cause I though it would be just a corny B monster 50s movie, but the underlying theme of humans encroaching into nature where they didn't belong, worked well for me...especially as I felt sympathy for the creature who just wanted to be left alone. The movie contains one of the great 'narrative shots' that I've seen. It's a simple shot but conveys the entire story in just one image.
Casablanca was one of my first black and white films when I was getting serious about film. But I've always loved it. Other classics I saw early were Rebecca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Strangers on a Train.

Casablanca was one of my first black and white films when I was getting serious about film. But I've always loved it. Other classics I saw early were Rebecca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and Strangers on a Train.
All good ones...and among the first I seen too.

City Lights (Charles Chaplin 1931)

Reaction: I so needed to see this!

I swear that every single time I looked at my MoFo movie list I'd see City Lights and think, 'damn this movie made every list.' OK, maybe it's not on every list, but it's on 10 MoFo list! I don't think any other movie appears on so many of our list.

I enjoy silent films and I've loved a number of Chaplin's greats: Modern Times, The Kid, The Gold Rush and others. I wish I could say I also loved City Lights, but I found it only OK. I wasn't really impressed with it and maybe that's because I was really, really tired that night. Or maybe because subconsciously I was comparing it to Buster Keaton's The General which I recently watched and was impressed with.

When the film started I noted that it was 1931, that's into the sound era. Odd that Chaplin decided to stay with a silent film when sound was the thing at that point.

Unlike The Kid and other of Chaplin's earlier films, I felt like the story here didn't earn it's pathos. It was like Chaplin was burnt out and just went to the same movie well one too many times. I mean you get the Tramp falling in love with the poor blind girl who's about to be evicted out of her home. The Tramp then helps her. That all seemed kind of hackneyed and pandering to the audiences emotions. Where as other of his films earned the audiences accolades.

I'd call City Lights middle of the road, BUT very glad to have watched it finally.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	KRAROKXOUET3DV32HLEU3X36TI.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	79511  

Sexy Beast

Thematically both as a heist film and a black comedy this movie didn't really do a whole lot for me. I did have to have a chuckle at that beginning Boulder scene though, I thought that was pretty funny. Seems like Kingsley is pretty highly praised for this but I didn't really care for his character, who seemed more focused on dropping as many F bombs as humanly possible. I got nothing against it, I love Scorsese movies after all but it all just seemed a bit overboard and really ruined the dialogue and flow of the film for me. The underwater scene was pretty cool. Overall, just really not my kind of film, surprised it was nominated for me.