The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Well, I'm doing it every 20 entries, but here's an off-the-record update, just for you

France = 20
Japan = 16
Italy = 7
Germany = 4
Russia = 3
Sweden = 3
Spain = 2
Denmark = 2
China = 1
Mexico = 1
Netherlands = 1
Poland = 1
Hong Kong = 1
Canada = 1
India = 1
Iran = 1
South Korea = 1

France has been leading since pretty much the beginning, but I'm expecting the tide to turn in favor of Japan once all those Kurosawa's start rolling in, plus a couple more Ozu, Miyazaki, Mizoguchi, etc.

I'm also surprised to see South Korea and Hong Kong with only one so far, but I also expect them to bump up the ranking now in the last stretch.
I still have my money on France, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a nail biter.

Well, I'm doing it every 20 entries, but here's an off-the-record update, just for you

France = 20
Japan = 16
Italy = 7
Germany = 4
Russia = 3
Sweden = 3
Spain = 2
Denmark = 2
China = 1
Mexico = 1
Netherlands = 1
Poland = 1
Hong Kong = 1
Canada = 1
India = 1
Iran = 1
South Korea = 1

France has been leading since pretty much the beginning, but I'm expecting the tide to turn in favor of Japan once all those Kurosawa's start rolling in, plus a couple more Ozu, Miyazaki, Mizoguchi, etc.

I'm also surprised to see South Korea and Hong Kong with only one so far, but I also expect them to bump up the ranking now in the last stretch.
Miyazaki only has 1 movie for this list. It is interesting that Ghost in the Shell and Akira didn't show up, they are super popular.

Miyazaki only has 1 movie for this list. It is interesting that Ghost in the Shell and Akira didn't show up, they are super popular.
Miyazaki has well more than just 1! There's 4 on the list so far: Kiki, Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and Nausicaa

Miyazaki has well more than just 1! There's 4 on the list so far: Kiki, Totoro, Princess Mononoke, and Nausicaa
Yep. Unless he means he has one left, which is obviously Spirited Away. But even then, I wouldn't be surprised if Howl's also makes it.

For the record, Miyazaki is currently leading the board as far as directors go, with the 4 that rbrayer mentioned.

40. Let the Right One In
Superb film so tender and lovely. A real surprise for me as vampires aren't really my thing!

39. Fanny and Alexander
Big gap for me this one./ Must watch soon

38. The Lives of Others
One of the great films of modern European cinema.

37. Harakiri
Great film. Glad to see it so high.

36. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
One of the only musicals I like, even though I still feel there should be less singing!

35. The 400 Blows
The only one of this batch to make my list at #19 . One of the top French New Wave films, which automatically puts it in the top bracket of all time. If you watch practically any modern day coming of age film, there will be a nod to the 400 blows in it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

I love how diegetic the singing in The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is. Since nobody ever speaks, the film creates an alternate reality, in which communication through singing is the only way people can talk to each other. I watched it back in a time when I wasn't big on musicals but loved it a lot. Michel Legrand is great, and that final track is legendary. I really can't pick my favorite: this or The Young Girls of Rochefort. Demy's less known films like Lola and Bay of Angels are worth seeing, too.

The 400 Blows is a film I watched twice. I disliked it the first time. I didn't identify with the protagonist. I loved it the second time. I still couldn't identify with the protagonist, but I recognized it as a great film. It's semi-biographical and Truffaut's best. None as great as this, but the entire series with Antoine is worth seeing. Fun fact: Paradoxically, Antoine is heard out for the first time during a prison interrogation. Fun fact 2: Jacques Demy is in this film. He's the policeman at the police station who says "The coach has arrived".

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The only one I have not seen is Fanny and Alexander.

It has been a few years since I've seen The Lives of Others, I thought it was an emotional taut film delving into the collection of individuals' private lives in the name of government protection.

I also add two more from my list: Harakiri at #11 and 400 Blows at #17 along with my first Rectification; Grave of the Fireflies

Let the Right One In

With a leisurely pace we are allowed the time to slip into the storyline and the meeting of, and growing relationship of Eli and Oskar. Though I do wonder how much of it is a necessity for Eli who is in need of a new protector/food gatherer, which Oskar fits the bill of being unhinged enough and needy enough for someone to care about him to do the dirty work for him.
It seems to fit since she mentions in one scene where she mimics him about "squeal. Squeal piggy." is the very first time she saw him.

Still, this had a very good pace and setting, and the more gruesome scenes weren't overdone, giving them more gravitas. Especially the swimming pool scene which had a more dreamlike quality to all of it that seemed very befitting.

Harakiri aka Seppuku

Hanshiro Tsugumo: What befalls others today, may be your own fate tomorrow.

Harakiri's set-up is a basic one. That slowly unravels into something far more.
A Ronin (a master-less Samurai) asks permission of a feudal lord to use his courtyard so that he may commit ritual suicide.
Hesitant, due to what has become commonplace where Ronins claiming to seek an honorable death are, in reality, looking for handouts of coins and to be sent on their way; they tell him a harsh story of what happened to one such Ronin who tried to scam them as a warning.

With the use of multiple flashbacks, we discover why this Ronin has chosen this specific feudal lord and while the storylines within the middle of the film do weigh down the pace somewhat, its third act rewards the viewing brilliantly.
Having only seen this once when I nominated it, my second viewing was even more enjoyable having prior knowledge of what was what regarding the initial stories and their complete meaning as the film progresses.

Also, unlike many Samurai stories, this is not glamorized but takes on a more realistic take on the Code of Samurais and the disregard of those that have fallen to a more destitute life as a Ronin. Along with the lies that cover up the truth of ones' actions in order to Keep up Appearances.

Tatsuya Nakadai is captivating in this and we are instantly with him from the very first moment of his appearance.

Even more so as we learn his personal story. Explaining his world-weary anguish to the point that we cheer him on in the final act.

A slow-burn of a film that is, in my eyes, an equal to many of the older samurai films. Focusing more on humanity than the pursuit of Glory that is the backbone of this genre.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

This one had got me to thinking of Les Demoiselles de Rochefort,. And not simply due to the lovely Catherine Deneuve being in both, but there were some lovely similarities that kept me drifting back to it: The color schemes, the sad love stories, and, of course, being a small town in France during the same time frame.
Therefore this had quite an excellent chance of being something that would put a smile on my face.

While I can see how having the entire dialogue being sung could cause some offsetting for some, it didn't at all for me. Putting a grin on my face from the get-go as the customer asks if his car is ready and the singing begins.
Though I must say, I kept anticipating at some point for people to break out in dance. Like in the very beginning when Guy goes into the Change Room at the garage and all the guys are talking. Or, more correctly, singing.
But that was more of being conditioned in the usual sense of musicals where dancing and singing go hand in hand.
Speaking of the garage I thought it was pretty funny that one mechanic said how little he cared for opera and preferred movies. An amusing little inside joke, that.

Another movie that came to mind was Yentl. In regards to changing up the usual recipe of a musical. While everyone sang in this one, in Yentl, it was her thoughts, those moments of soliloquy that were sung.
Made me appreciate and enjoy this aspect all the more, I guess.

It was a pleasant little story of First Loves and how life seems to move people in different directions. For better or for worse, which we don't truly see - or perhaps it is as we perceive individually. Are they truly happy, or do they make themselves happy in their new lives with others?
We would hope they are truly happy and it is only in that moment of seeing each other that they feel sadness/regret.

A sweet, little sad love story in the language of love, filled with bright beautiful colors.
Très beau, CR!

The 400 Blows aka Les Quatre Cents Coups

Psychiatrist: Your parents say you're always lying.
Antoine Doinel: Oh, I lie now and then, I suppose. Sometimes I'd tell them the truth, and they still wouldn't believe me, so I prefer to lie.

Ahh, those glorious halcyon days of being an utter mischievous little sh#t.

And yeah, the trouble you get into for it.

Initially, since this is regarded very highly in many cinematic circles, I thought it'll be a good idea to share the experience with a couple of Movie Critics. At least, that's what they assured me they were when I paid for their movie tickets.
They did seem quite engaged during their viewing. I must say.

But, when I asked them to write up their thoughts, they ran off to steal a typewriter, and I haven't heard or seen of them since.

So. . .

This was Director François Truffaut's first full-length film, and it is said his most personal film. Having caused all kinds of trouble as a youth as well. And, having done very much the same myself, I was continually chuckling throughout this. Feeling relieved that I cheered them on instead of acting like a grumpy old codger complaining about the problems with youths.
One of my favorites being the gym coach that takes the boys out running in the city streets, and Truffaut uses a long shot from above displaying the dwindling number of students as they all sneak off, a couple at a time. Until the large group of some twenty or more kids was down to only two.
Like so many other scenes, this brought back all kinds of funny memories of similar incidents. Finding myself more and more involved as the film proceeded.

I paused once to research the writer, Honoré de Balzac, that Antoine (Jean-Pierre Léaud) pinned inside a small cupboard within their tiny apartment. Curious to see the connection and learning that Balzac had a love for the criminal element/To Live Wildly as well within his literature and personal life.

Having viewed this, I totally see how this film of a delinquent by a delinquent won a Hall of Fame.
In short, BRAVO Truffaut!!

Grave of the Fireflies aka Hotaru no haka (1988)

Setsuko: Why do fireflies die so soon?

This was everything I had expected it to be, including how beautifully sad it would end up being. I knew for a fact that I would have rather not viewed this for the emotional impact it would cause me. Knowing full well how incredibly beautiful this film would be and is.
Even a day later, as I write this, it still permeates and weighs me down. Its emotional impact was still powerful enough to circumvent the foreknowledge of what would occur, along with the opening scene. The inevitable sadness STILL affected me due to how masterfully poetic director Isao Takahata brings this story of orphaned Seito trying his very best to care for his little sister, Setsuko, amidst the ever-present air bombing. Its devastation was relentlessly visited by American aircraft continually bombing Japan at the end of WWII.

In fact, this year, I have watched several beautifully done, incredibly tragic Japanese films set during that time, and each has moved me. Two of which were anime. A couple I would venture back to, and while I am so very tempted to with GotF at this exact moment, the gripping sadness is too intense to override the utter beauty of both the animation as well as the very story itself to revisit. Though at some point, I feel that I will. Because of JUST how beautiful this tragic film is.
Also, would GotF have made my list? Probably, if not d@mn close.

Movies Seen: 31 of 66 (46.96%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
8. Yojimbo (1961) #42
11. Harakiri (1962) #37
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
17. The 400 Blows (1959) #35
19. Paprika (2006) #100
21. High and Low (1963) #41
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

Rectification List
1. Grave of the Fireflies Hotaru no haka (1988) #43

131 points, 10 lists
34. In the Mood for Love

Director

Wong Kar-wai, 2000

Starring

Tony Leung Chiu-wai, Maggie Cheung, Rebecca Pan, Kelly Lai Chen

140 points, 11 lists
33. Wild Strawberries

Director

Ingmar Bergman, 1957

Starring

Victor Sjostrom, Ingrid Thulin, Bibi Andersson, Gunnar Sjoberg

And Wong Kar-wai joins the group of the repeating directors. Bergman is already on his third appearance.

I still haven't seen Wild Strawberries, but it's definitely on my radar.

I saw In the Mood for Love about a year or two ago and loved it. Such a moving, yet tragic story of love. It was my #16.

My Summary:

Seen: 25/68
My list: 6/25

My List  

I fully grasped Wild Strawberries in all of its perfection the second time around. That may have been a five-year difference. Number 19 on my list.

I felt like In the Mood for Love was a little underwritten, but the romantic plotline and direction were still very good.

My list:
2. The Mirror (86)
12. Princess Mononoke (46)
13. Pather Panchali (47)
19. Wild Strawberries (33)
20. Harakiri (37)

In The Mood has a chance at overtaking Chungking for my fave Wai after I see it a couple more times. For now it’s my second fave so didn’t make my list, really glad it’s here though. Beautiful film. Love that piano score.

I have watched Strawberries twice and since it’s Bergman, I have expected to fall in love both times. I just settle for very good though. Maybe next time. Not disappointed to see it, especially since I didn’t expect it or Fanny this high. Bergman still has a shot at taking the crown. Think it will be Kurosawa though.

Both are great films, but neither made my ballot. I'm pretty sure that Wild Strawberries was one of the last 5 or 10 films I cut from my ballot though. With a significant degree of optimism which runs throughout it, it's pretty uncharacteristic of Bergman, but I quite loved the detour from his normal wheelhouse as I found Isak's arc to be quite powerful with the various nightmares and flashbacks and how the conflict between the young passengers he takes along with him on the car ride parallel his past regrets - the way Isak feels content with watching them socialize with each other at the end always gets to me. One of my favorite character arcs in film and definitely one of my top five or three favorite Bergman's.

In the Mood for Love is a visual delight. It’s one of the most beautiful films I’ve ever seen. Unfortunately, I couldn’t connect with the film on any other level and with only very superficial enjoyment, it was never in consideration for my ballot.

I’ve seen a dozen or so of Bergman’s films and had five or six on my shortlist. Ultimately I voted for two of them, with Wild Stawberries the higher entry at number 7. It’s a very moving experience.

I haven't seen either of yesterday’s movies.

My Ballot:
2. The Skin I Live In (#92)
7. Wild Strawberries (#33)
8. Paprika (#100)
9. The Celebration (#51)
22. La Haine (#53)
23. Raise the Red Lantern (#91)
25. He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (One-Pointers)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
35/68

-La Strada - 10/10
-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10
-Wild Strawberries - 10/10 - Nice self-reflecting movie. One of Bergman's best.
-Le Trou - 9/10
-The 400 Blows - 8.5/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-A Man Escaped - 8/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Close-Up- 8/10 -
-Pather Panchali- 8/10
-Tokyo Story - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Harakari - 7.5/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-The Celebration- 7/10
-The Lives of Others - 7/10.
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Z - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10
-Le Haine - 4/10

Both In The Mood For Love and Wild Strawberries are decent watches, the former was in contention for a spot on my ballot but didn't make it in the end.

Seen: 49/68 (Own: 32/68)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
32. Cidade de Deus [City Of God] (2002)
31. Oldeuboi [Oldboy] (2003)

I like Wild Strawberries but it's not one of my favorite Bergmans.

I was indifferent the one time I watched In the Mood. I probably wasn't in the mood.

I was indifferent the one time I watched In the Mood. I probably wasn't in the mood.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Wong Kar-wai's In the Mood For Love is a beautiful romance bordering on a mystery-thriller. Always interesting to watch but doesn't really affect me at all.

I can't possibly explain how I left Wild Strawberries off my ballot. I have always loved it. Now, the reason I originally loved it was because it had the coolest first five minutes of any film I'd ever seen. That still stands! An awesome dream opening gives way to a meditation on how the young and old are forever intertwined.

Now, I love it because it just seems to address all the different weaknesses all males have. It pretty much is a "shopping list" of what we males need to buy into to be whole individuals.

It's still my favorite Bergman, full of beautiful imagery, including my fave nightmare at the beginning and the shot of his parents at the end.

Reply to Topic