The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
helluva triple play, there, CR!
The General is a great Keaton film with some truly amazing stunts
I've got Bob le Flambeur on my Watchlist, can't wait to check that out.
And while it's been a while since I saw Bullitt it is everything you stated. Steve McQueen is the man!

Yeah, Bullitt is pretty damn good.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've got three movies to write up...I've been watching, just no time to write
You have a hell of a memory. The longer I wait to write even a minor review, the worse it is and less I have to say about it. Like for example I haven't written up Long Goodbye but watched it and probably now won't have much to say

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I worry about waiting too long for a write-up as well. Ideally, it'll be right after the credits run and my reaction is fresh. On occasion, some films insist on some contemplation before typing something up.
With my recent change in jobs, my time has been taken up a bit and I'm sorta forced to wait, most of the time, sometimes several days or more before I have the time to write something up. Like presently, even though I saw American Film a couple of days ago, it'll be tonight or even tomorrow that I can write something.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)

I've seen a lot of really good movies on all your recommendations and this is one of the best. Already watched it twice. Highly recommend!
I think this is always the hope, that someone will like a recommendation enough to recommend it to others! Really glad you liked this. It does take a while to get used to the style but it is a very moving film, I found.

The Caine Mutiny: If this was a tighter movie I think I would have loved it. The love story couldn’t be more useless. I enjoyed this a lot though. No one told me the great climax that f A Few Good Men had an origin. Good stuff

Manchurian Candidate: Didn’t hate this, but it definitely felt dated. All the hypnosis stuff was just not very clever. The performances were pretty good and it looked decent. The story was kind of a dud though.

I don't like wanting waiting to write a review either. The longer I wait the less impact a film has on me. If I waited a week I wouldn't remember a damn thing
Good grief, I need to proof read my post, I meant waiting to write, not wanting to write

I seen both Manchurian Candidate and The Caine Mutiny but can hardly remember them. It's been like 15 years, so I'm due for a rewatch. There's too many movies I tell ya

I finished watching Ride the Pink Horse (1947). Directed by and starring Robert Montgomery, this film noir is about a veteran who is out for revenge against a Mexican gangster. This sounded like something that I should have loved, but I found myself lukewarm by the end of it. There were some things I liked though. Montgomery's performance is great and I loved the look of the film. The story was what ended up falling flat for me. I just didn't find it that compelling or engaging. The film started off strong, but lost steam as it went along and I found myself losing interest as it went on. Not a bad film, but not as good as I would have expected. I would rate it a

I finished watching Ride the Pink Horse (1947). Directed by and starring Robert Montgomery, this film noir is about a veteran who is out for revenge against a Mexican gangster. This sounded like something that I should have loved, but I found myself lukewarm by the end of it. There were some things I liked though. Montgomery's performance is great and I loved the look of the film. The story was what ended up falling flat for me. I just didn't find it that compelling or engaging. The film started off strong, but lost steam as it went along and I found myself losing interest as it went on. Not a bad film, but not as good as I would have expected. I would rate it a
Not my movie choice for you, but I love that film as it's so different than the usual noir. My review (if anyone is interested) Ride the Pink Horse

I haven't seen The Manchurian Candidate in a good while, but I remember liking it quite a bit. Angie Dickinson is great in it.

I just finished watching I Daniel Blake (2016). Directed by Ken Loach, the film stars Dave Johns as a carpenter who after a heart attack has to fight to try and get employment and support allowance. Going in to the film, I wasn't sure if I would like it. I had only seen one film from the director before (Kes) and hated it. I was concerned the film sounded like it would be too much of a downer and would be hard to enjoy. I am very pleased to report that I loved this film! Dave Johns is fantastic and brings a lot of depth and humanity to the role. I think he should have been nominated for an Oscar for his performance. Hayley Squires is also very good as a single mom that Blake befriends. I also really liked young Briana Shann's performance as one of her kids. I thought the screenplay was very well written and done in an honest, believable way that avoided clichés. I Daniel Blake is a compelling and interesting film that tackles an important subject matter in a way that is heartfelt, compassionate and still manages to be an entertaining film. Good call whoever nominated this for me. I am glad I saw it. This one rates a high

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Creature From the Black Lagoon

“There are many strange legends in the Amazon. Even I, Lucas, have heard the legend of a man-fish.”

Fun creature feature, in which a group of scientists go on an expedition to find the fossilized remains of a creature and end up with more than they bargained for.

There are some interesting aspects to this – I liked that the leading man isn’t set on killing the creature, for example, but wants to keep it alive, setting up tension with the money man who wants to bring back the body. I liked that the female character was also a scientist who has useful contributions to make at times, but she is later reduced to the role of screaming and being kidnapped.

There are some nice scenes underwater. According to my 12 year old, “it’s good picture quality for something that’s seventy years old.” True enough.

It's not particularly tense or scary. I also found the bane of a lot of 50s movies, an overwrought musical score, annoying at times. There were also a couple of bits that were poorly done – the small bundle of twigs that is apparently blocking them from leaving, and the way Kay just rolls on the floor so the creature can easily pick her up which mark it out as low budget.

All that swimming in the Amazon, though. Never mind the creature, what about the piranhas?