The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I have two Kurosawas on my list, but neither are the latest 2 in the countdown.

These aren't the Kurosawas you're looking for.
These aren't the Kurosawas we're looking for.
He can go about his business.
You can go about your business.
Move along.
Move along... move along.

Like I know you do.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
A Mama Tomato, a Papa Tomato, and a Baby Tomato are walkin down the street. The Baby Tomato starts to lag behind so the Papa Tomato gets real angry and stomps on him, squishing him and says, "Ketchup."

Time for me to play Catch up.

52. Tokyo Story is one of a handful I severely wanted to see prior to making my list, with a firm belief it would have made my list - never mind being one I truly NEED to see. I've only seen two of Ozu's and with each one my respect and love as grown. Firstly with A Hen in the Wind where I paused to research Ozu, my discoveries creating a growing fascination that built to love upon seeing another that is on my List; propelling me to firmly place Tokyo Story on my Watchlist/Film Challenge to ensure I rectify this.

51. The Celebration I have not heard of but with the high praise, I have read here, it has been added to my Film Challenge for a Dogme entry.

50. Sansho the Bailiff I consider a Must See! for me and truly need to.

49. Three Colours: Blue Have not seen any of them and in my ignorance, I have never attempted to.

48. Close-Up Is unknown to me

47. Pather Panchali I have heard a lot of praise for this one but have not actively searched it out.

46. Princess Mononoke This was one of my first introductions to Hayao Miyazaki when I first saw it in a local cinema upon its debut. One that holds more respect than endearment for me. Can't quite explain the why of it, though. It just is. Shockingly, with my love for Miyazaki, especially as I delved deeper into his work recently, I was unable to place one on my List.

45. Playtime I had not heard of this Tati film until I saw it recommended to @Thief in a Personal Rec HoF and his enjoyment of it. I have seen and thoroughly enjoyed Mon Ocle so I definitely need to see this as well.

44. La Strada I have only recently aka FINALLY checked out Fellini and so I need to delve more and this is one of them I should see.

43. Grave of the Fireflies Now, I know for a fact that this is an exceptional film, but I have always avoided it due to just how sad of a film it is. Presently I have it nominated for me in a Personal Rec HoF so this just may be the next one I watch this weekend.

42. Yojimbo #8 from my list.

41. High and Low #21 from my list.

Yojimbo (1961)

Gonji - Tavern Keeper: What'll you do now?
Sanjuro Kuwabatake: Go next door and buy a coffin.
Gonji - Tavern Keeper: How can you give up like that?
Sanjuro Kuwabatake: You idiot! I'm not dying yet! There's a bunch of guys I have to kill first.

This has been THE MOST FUN I've had watching an Akira Kurosawa so far.
The few I've seen had been very serious dramas, and unlike them, there is a playfulness to this - what could be considered a classic popcorn-munching action film. One that is very much in the top echelon of that subgenre. Dark humor and sarcastic wit permeate this very entertaining film. Even the Soundtrack invokes a kind of "Comedic Carnival" tone that worked very much in its favor.
The inspiration to Sergio Leone's A Fistful of Dollars and Walter Hill's Last Man Standing, it is said that Kurosawa was inspired, equally, with Hollywood Westerns, and, what I didn't know, by The Glass Key (1942). Which is getting bumped in my Sh#t I just GOTTA see. SOON.

Toshirô Mifune, taking Kurosawa's advice that his character is a wolf or a dog, incorporated, along with some truly great, and at times, amusing expressions, will shrug/twitch much like a dog scratching at fleas.
I can't help but think that he may have had a lot of fun with this character, because of the evident humor within his, as always, fantastic performance.

Along with him are two exceptional actors, Tatsuya Nakadai as the pistol-toting Unosuke -

- and the crotchety Tavern Keeper, Gonji (Takashi Shimura), holding their own with the scene-stealing Mifune.

Exploring my initial pleasure regarding, Dark humor, sarcastic wit, Soundtrack = a very cool "Comedic Carnival" tone, is the numbskull, cowardly, wannabe thugs, that are the hired soldiers for the two bickering Bosses of the nearly deserted town.
I am UTTERLY heartbroken I could not locate a gif of the cowards vs. cowards attempt at, but too afraid to, street fight.
But, this guy was, and that's how I felt too.

This was utterly, UTTERLY, f@ckin AWESOME!

I discipline my dumb @ss for taking this long to see this FINALLY

High and Low aka Tengoku to jigoku

Ginjirô Takeuchi, medical intern: I'd rather be told the cruel truth than be fed gentle lies.

This is my second detective film by Kurosawa, the first was Stray Dog.
My initial films for Kurosawa, for all their greatness - which can not be denied, have had a tendency to drag a bit at times for me.
This did not.

Along with so many great shots and his usual attention to detail, we get a very full investigation in finding, pursuing, and the eventual capture of a kidnapper. None of which had that lull that had caused me to drift on other films, such as Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood and Stray Dog. All of which I truly love and need to revisit.
I found myself fully immersed, pausing the timer out of curiosity and pleasure of how it moved along for me. This in itself is a bit of a curiosity for me, since, if you asked me, I could not say why this specific film of his kept my complete attention as opposed to other truly great films of his.
But I was.
From the first introduction of Gondo and his fellow Directors of the Board for the shoe company they worked for to the kidnapping, the drop-off, and the real chase: Finding the kidnapper and capturing him for a greater crime and thereby, the harsher punishment.
The final third of the film as they followed him as he purchased more heroin was far more gripping than many films I've seen with a similar circumstance.

To state a Kurosawa film as excellent is pretty much redundant, but, for me, this is something new, it was gripping.

Movies Seen: 25 of 60 (41.66%)
3. Shoplifters (2018) #72
4. Rome, Open City (1945) #93
5. Rififi (1955) #76
6. Army of Shadows (1969) #90
8. Yojimbo (1961) #42
13. Samurai Rebellion (1967) #79
19. Paprika (2006) #100
21. High and Low (1963) #41
25. In This Corner of the World (2016) One Pointer

And those were not the Kurosawa film I voted for.

I've seen several of them. But neither Yojimbo or High and Low were among them. Add those to the list of those I need to see sometime.

Missed out on seeing The Hidden Fortress, but did manage to see Rashomon, Throne of Blood and the film I did put on the list proper.

High and Low is kind of perfect, #17 on my ballot. Was expecting a much higher placement on the countdown. Love Yojimbo as well but didn't vote for it.

Movies Seen: 28/60

My Ballot: 8/25
25. Mongol (1-pointer)
22. The Wages of Fear (#67)
21. Fireworks (#78)
17. High and Low (#41)
7. Samurai Rebellion (#79)
6. The Battle of Algiers (#56)
5. War and Peace (#59)
2. La Haine (#53)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here.
Advance warning: I have to work overnight tomorrow so I will not be able to post any movies. I will post 4 on Saturday to make up for it.

Welcome to the human race...
I've seen Yojimbo a few times now and High and Low for the first time recently, but I find both excellent. Didn't put either on my list, though.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
@gbgoodies definitely has won the homework award for this countdown. How many movies did you watch in preparation for your list?
Thanks.

I stopped counting at 82, but I watched a few more movies after that, so it was probably around 90 movies by the time I submitted my list.

Gbg wins the 'homework' award for every countdown I think

(sorry, I forgot to sign it)

Thanks.

I always try to watch a lot of movies for these countdowns because I want to make the best list that I can, and the way to do that is to watch movies that I haven't seen yet, or in some cases, rewatch movies that I haven't seen in a long time.

I don't really understand why some people are in a rush to submit their list quickly. There are always people who say that they forgot movies that they should have included on their list, or they watch a movie after submitting their list, and then say that they would have included it on their list if they had seen the movie before submitting their list.

I usually just start with a list made from the movies that I've already seen, and then add, remove, and reorder the movies as I watch more movies. Then I wait until the last day or two before the deadline to submit my list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Yojimbo wasn't on my watchlist, but I stumbled across it on archive.org while looking for a different movie for this countdown, so I decided to watch it. I didn't have high hopes for it because it didn't sound like my kind of movie, and it didn't make my list, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It was a much lighter movie than I expected, and it had an old western movie feel to it.

High and Low was one of the best movies that I watched for this countdown. It reminded me of the old police TV dramas in the 1970s. It made it all the way up to #5 on my list.

My list so far:
5. High and Low (1963)
6. Run Lola Run (1998)
15. Sundays and Cybele (1962)
23. Diabolique (1955)
25. Ivan Vasilyevich Changes His Profession (1973)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just a random off the cuff prediction for the 4 slated for today. We will see if I get any of the 4 right.

A Separation
400 Blows
La Dolce Vita
Wild Strawberries

I think Yojimbo is better than any of its imitators but that's not saying a great deal. It's OK, but not something I care much about.

Not seen High And Low.

122 points, 8 lists
40. Let the Right One In

Director

Tomas Alfredson, 2008

Starring

Kare Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson, Per Ragnar, Henrik Dahl

124 points, 9 lists
39. Fanny and Alexander

Director

Ingmar Bergman, 1982

Starring

Bertil Guve, Pernilla Allwin, Allan Edwall, Ewa Froling

127 points, 8 lists
38. The Lives of Others

Director

Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006

Starring

Martina Gedeck, Ulrich Mühe, Sebastian Koch, Ulrich Tukur

YES! Let the Right One In is the best vampire movie I've ever seen! It didn't make my list but it's still flawless.

I only had time for the three-hour cut of Fanny and Alexander. It was good but a bit underwhelming.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't know you were doing four today...

127 points, 12 lists
37. Harakiri

Director

Masaki Kobayashi, 1962

Starring

Tatsuya Nakadai, Akira Ishihama, Shima Iwashiita, Tetsuro Tamba

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Just guessed the wrong Bergman, that's all.

Adding to what I was saying before(you can delete that if you want), Harakiri is a flawless and perfectly tense samurai film with some great twists.

Thursday Next
I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Fanny and Alexander and Let the Right One In were both late cuts from my list. I think Harakiri is very good. I don't love The Lives of Others as much as some other people, but it's still a very strong movie. An awesome foursome!

Reply to Topic