The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Grave of The Fireflies is sublime, and devastating. Great great film. La Strada is also a devastating film in another way, and like Nights of Cabiria has a magnificent ending.

Neither made by list but both are essential for any cinephile in my opinion.

Gbg wins the 'homework' award for every countdown I think

(sorry, I forgot to sign it)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
How many movies did you watch in preparation for your list?
All of them. Where's your God, now, @mark f?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

120 points, 8 lists
42. Yojimbo

Director

Akira Kurosawa, 1961

Starring

Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai, Yoko Tsukasa, Isuzu Yamada

120 points, 10 lists
41. High and Low

Director

Akira Kurosawa, 1963

Starring

Toshiro Mifune, Tatsuya Nakadai, Kyoko Kagawa, Tatsuya Mihashi

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Advance warning: I have to work overnight tomorrow so I will not be able to post any movies. I will post 4 on Saturday to make up for it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Yojimbo is one of Kurosawa's most playful films with one of Mifune's wittiest performances as the ronin with no name. He spends most of the movie, when he's not using his katana, walking around with his arms inside his kimono as if he didn't have any. Yeah, just like Clint and his serape. If you've seen A Fistful of Dollars and Yojimbo, you know how closely the former follows the latter. The comparison even extends to the anachronistic (for the time) sounds of their musical scores. But the plot is really the key, and Kurosawa says he was inspired by the Alan Ladd film noir The Glass Key, which was based on a Dashiell Hammett novel. Kurosawa must've really liked Hammett since parts of Yojimbo also come from his first novel, Red Harvest.

High and Low is Kurosawa's adaptation of one of Ed McBain's "87th Precinct" novels. Almost none of the plot or movie turns out the way one would think. Toshiro Mifune is excellent playing a businessman with multiple dilemmas and Tatsuya Nakadai [again] equals him playing the chief detective investigating the central crime and its aftermath. Kurosawa shows he's as adept at modern crime films (although this certainly isn't his first) as he is at his period adventure/dramas.

No votes.

Hmmmmm, Kurosawaier and Kurosawaier cried Alice!

Yojimbo and High And Low are both great movies and one of them even made my ballot

Seen: 44/60 (Own: 27/60)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
40. Huo zhe [To Live] (1994)
39. Yi Yi (2000)

Extra faildictions:
38. La règle du jeu [The Rules Of The Game] (1939)
37. Les parapluies de Cherbourg [The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg] (1964)

I'm in the minority when I say that the remake A Fistful of Dollars is slightly better than Yojimbo, but Yoimbo's still a pretty awesome movie.

Ha! What are the odds indeed

I haven't seen High and Low, but Yojimbo was my first Kurosawa a few years back. Like it a lot, but it's not the Kurosawa I went with.

My Summary:

Seen: 20/60
My list: 3/25

My List  

I'm in the minority when I say that the remake A Fistful of Dollars is slightly better than Yojimbo, but Yoimbo's still a pretty awesome movie.
I don't think I would put one too far from the other, to be honest.

Yojimbo was my first Kurosawa, simply because I'd grown up on A Fistful of Dollars and was curious for that reason. I've seen nearly all his films now, though most of them only once, but High and Low stands out for me as the one which has had the biggest impact on me as a viewer. It was my #9.

My List:
4. Playtime (#45)
7. Three Colours: Red (#54)
9. High and Low (#41)
12. The Wages of Fear (#67)
14. Diabolique (#69)
23. A Man Escaped (#60)
24. Le Trou (#81)

I also prefer A Fistful of Dollars. Yojimbo is one of my least favorite from Kurosawa but that means it's still a good movie.

High and Low is close with The Hidden Fortress and The Idiot for my 2nd favorite Kurosawa.

6. Pather Panchali (#47)
8. Children of Paradise (#58)
9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
10. Contempt (#71)
14. Sundays and Cybele (#73)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)
24. Three Colors: Red (#54)
25. High and Low (#41)

60 entries, so it's time for another breakdown.

First, the obvious one, cause with that double whammy, Kurosawa has joined the club of the recurring directors, along with:
  • Hayao Miyazaki (4)
  • Federico Fellini (2)
  • Krzysztof Kieslowski (2)
  • Thomas Vinterberg (2)
  • Henri-Georges Clouzot (2)
  • Takeshi Kitano (2)

Second, country breakdown

France = 18
Japan = 15
Italy = 7
Germany = 3
Russia = 3