A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Ha! There are a great many fans that would be green with envy that you have the DVD.

I recommend pairing it with the Loveless, if you’re doing as a Bigelow viewing. They have a lot of overlap in regards to the style and counter-culture subtext.
You'd think one of the specialty labels would have released a fancy new Blu-ray at some point. The only North American release I'm aware of is that allegedly crappy release from a while back with the Twilight-esque cover. I'm not sure it's even still in print?

You'd think one of the specialty labels would have released a fancy new Blu-ray at some point. The only North American release I'm aware of is that allegedly crappy release from a while back with the Twilight-esque cover. I'm not sure it's even still in print?
No copy is in print. There are echoes that a 4K from studio canal is on the way in the UK. Luckily, UHDs are region free so I’ll probably spend a stupid amount to get it.

The Twilight Cover release from Lionsgate gets a bad rap because they overused DNR. It’s not Predator “ultimate hunter edition” bad, where everyone looks like wax, but it is noticeable. That said, it does have a decent amount of detail and captures the look nicely, despite being a bit scrubbed.

A UHD restoring the grain and adding HDR would be a dream come true though.

The trick is not minding
Ha! There are a great many fans that would be green with envy that you have the DVD.

I recommend pairing it with the Loveless, if you’re doing as a Bigelow viewing. They have a lot of overlap in regards to the style and counter-culture subtext.
Is Near Dark rare to find on dvd these days? I only ask because my local rental has it available.

Is Near Dark rare to find on dvd these days? I only ask because my local rental has it available.
Amazon has the Blu-ray listed at $99 and the region B dvd around $30 after shipping. There are special edition DVDs that are even harder to find like a fancy Anchor Bay release.

Quite rare for a film that doesn’t seem like it should be rare.

What about “Bullseye!”

If neither ring a bell, you don’t remember it enough to dislike it and a rewatch is mandatory*.

WARNING: spoilers below
*optional but highly recommended with a side-eye if declined
Every time I say I don’t like it I get told to rewatch it and I do and nothing changes lol.

And I think Netflix has the DVD for anyone looking for it and still gets DVDs from Netflix.

Every time I say I don’t like it I get told to rewatch it and I do and nothing changes lol.

And I think Netflix has the DVD for anyone looking for it and still gets DVDs from Netflix.
Shudder, man. It’s on Shudder.

Watch it with The Loveless. I have spoken!

Do people here like The Lawnmower Man? Asking because I just learned the Director's Cut is on Netflix, but it's 2.5 hours long. I think DaMU was a fan?

Do people here like The Lawnmower Man? Asking because I just learned the Director's Cut is on Netflix, but it's 2.5 hours long. I think DaMU was a fan?
Any movie that starts with a pistol wielding chimp is aces in my book!

Any movie that starts with a pistol wielding chimp is aces in my book!

The opening is hilarious.

Hopefully the opening is 2.5 hrs long.
The rest of the movie is basically like “What if Flowers for Algernon but also Carrie and the Matrix?” Well, Neuromancer as it predates the Matrix, but ya know.

All that matters is they decided that Jeff Fahey should play a mentally handicapped person that becomes a telekinetic God of the cyberverse after reading a Stephen King short story about a Fawn that eats the grass off people’s lawns for a yard service.

It's a good movie, straight up. The effects in cyberworld are horrendous, but the effects in the real world are pretty impressive and very seamless for the time. Even somewhat seamless for today sometimes.

Never understood why they couldn't just make The Lawnmower Man as originally intended: a story of a naked man crawling around on a lawn eating grass and gophers. What more could you possibly need? Clearly, the highlight of Stephen King's immense literary contributions.

Never understood why they couldn't just make The Lawnmower Man as originally intended: a story of a naked man crawling around on a lawn eating grass and gophers. What more could you possibly need? Clearly, the highlight of Stephen King's immense ̶l̶i̶t̶e̶r̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶i̶b̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ cocaine stash.
Fixed that for you.

Victim of The Night

I watched The Loveless about a year and a half ago for my September thread and for a challenge to watch a first film by a director you really like.
I did a wonderful write-up of it with great screen-caps and all...
And now it's gone. Victim of the shutdown of Corri.

I think I remember this, and you. Were you affiliated with The Black Lodge?
I was aware of the Black Lodge but didn’t go in there or keep up with it. Welcome!

I watched The Loveless about a year and a half ago for my September thread and for a challenge to watch a first film by a director you really like.
I did a wonderful write-up of it with great screen-caps and all...
And now it's gone. Victim of the shutdown of Corri.
I stopped putting effort into my movie write ups after the fall of RT, so my condolences.

How’d you feel about it? And have you seen Near Dark since watching it?

Victim of The Night
I stopped putting effort into my movie write ups after the fall of RT, so my condolences.

How’d you feel about it? And have you seen Near Dark since watching it?
I quit for a while after RT fell but then I eventually got back to it, starting with my Horrorthons and then getting into a second month of write-ups and then finally a year-round write-up thread. Between RT and Corri, I probably lost close to 400-500 write-ups. That hurts.
I didn't think The Loveless was a great film, though not a bad one on the budget, but it did show the tremendous potential of both Dafoe (in a strange performance) and Bigelow (though I suppose it's hard to tell what Bigelow directed and what Montgomery did).

I quit for a while after RT fell but then I eventually got back to it, starting with my Horrorthons and then getting into a second month of write-ups and then finally a year-round write-up thread. Between RT and Corri, I probably lost close to 400-500 write-ups. That hurts.
I didn't think The Loveless was a great film, though not a bad one on the budget, but it did show the tremendous potential of both Dafoe (in a strange performance) and Bigelow (though I suppose it's hard to tell what Bigelow directed and what Montgomery did).
Yeah. I lost a ton with the fall of RT and just went “well, I’d be better off writing other things.” *gestures at numerous unproduced scripts*

Did you prefer it to Near Dark?

Loveless > Near Dark

While I intermittently would save the occasionally write up I would do of a movie on RT or Corrie, I remember being strangely disinterested by the idea of my thousands and thousands of words being disappeared. I cared about zero percent about that. My anger was more about erasing an entire communities (sometimes very valuable) interactions from over a decade. Especially considering what was written there was of infinitely more value than any of the garbage they were trying to get people to read on their main site. To this day, if I had it in my power I would like to do anything possible to completely topple that **** heap called Rotten Tomatoes.

As for the Corrie, my feeling was Bear was probably an insufferable ******* (I never personally interacted with him ever), but that was his site. And while he was cold hearted in nuking it, and not even giving others the chance to maybe take over the mantle of running it for him, the reality was he had kind of been paying for a bunch of people he barely knew to post on a site he wasn't even using. For years. So I can't complain too much on that one.