Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I'll never understand all the hate for what is literally one of my favorite movies of all time.

Victim of The Night
been huge fan of scarlett johansson for long time and been fan of Natasha Romanoff aka black widow for long time aswell, im glad they chose scarlett johansson as Natasha Romanoff. loved the movie and make sure to watch end credits also if ur a big marvel fan like me

Can't wait!
I also have absolutely loved Natasha/Black Widow/Johannson. I'm a huge Marvel fan and she has been one of my favorite characters since The Avengers. She really become the glue that holds that whole thing together and I was glad to see her as the leader in Endgame and then... well, the fitting resolution of her arc.
Really look forward to this movie.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge

Damn good movie. Faithful, action packed and well cast. Joel McHale voicing Johnny Cage was a stroke of genius.

Minnelli is also good in The Sterile Cuckoo. But she's dreadful in Arthur (my first experience with her, which tainted me against her for years)

L is For Liza is also worth checking out.
I think you mean Liza with a Z, not L is for Liza

Okay, so there we go. I think you've said it better than I did. The "reality" itself feels too much like fantasy, so the contrast between the two realities doesn't feel heightened enough. And unfortunately
WARNING: spoilers below
since they are the same reality that makes internal sense
. but it dings the conceit a bit. Like the hotel scene. "Hey, man, that hot woman is obviously a fantasy! Clearly reality is that you are married to . . . .this equally hot woman who thinks you're a sex machine".
There are obviously aspects of Total Recall's portrayal of women that should be criticized, but I still think you're dismissing/underselling how progressive the gender dynamics in the film really are on the whole, especially for a movie that's over thirty years old. For one thing, I see little evidence that Melina was intended to be some sort of "improbably hot" fantasy woman, considering that, even in her most glamorous moment (in her introduction scene), she's still wearing some very tacky eyeshadow, and is dressed fairly modestly for someone who's supposedly a "prostitute" (which is pretty clearly just a front she puts on in public, since she behaves very different with Quaid in private, so the sleazy come-ons aren't indicators of her thinking he's a "sex machine", but clearly just an act she's putting on). And, she dresses even more modestly for the remainder of the film, never suffering the kind of "conveniently alluring" clothing damage you'd expect from a more typical male fantasy, despite all of the intense physical action she engages in throughout providing an excuse for it.

Besides that, saying that all of the key players in the film doesn't make sense, when you consider how big an impact Melina has on the story; her presence in the film is less to be Quaid's love interest, and more as an equal partner to him in the ass-kicking, and without her
coming to save Quaid by shooting Cohagen at the end, he and all the mutants we saw in that sector are literally dead, with the rest of the entire planet doomed to continue suffering under Cohagen's oxygen tyranny. I mean, how much more could she have saved the day?
And all of that is with me still leaving out a lot of points (I didn't even get into how progressive the racial dynamics of the film are), so, it's definitely a progressive characterization, even when not comparing it to an actual regressive portrayal of a female character in Hollywood around that time, like the way that Vicki Vale in the previous year's Batman was a character who was almost entirely defined by how attractive she was, by just being a love interest to Bruce, and by constantly being a damsel in distress for Batman to save, you know?

Regarding the unimaginative future, I think that's intentional.*one of satirical points that Verhoeven makes here and in Robocop is that unchecked capitalism results in a future that's actually kind of ****ty.*They've achieved colonization of Mars, but because they cheaped out on protecting their workers, they end up with a bunch of mutants and a resulting revolt.*The fact that Mars kind of looks like a ride at the Epcot Centre kind of plays into this.*

Regarding the diversity of casting, that can probably be attributed to standard Hollywood practice, but as the premise presents a kind of fantasy (and a mostly male one, given the target audience for the genre), it makes some sense that the cast is male-dominated and all the prostitutes are female.*
Also, the cheap-looking future can be interpreted to be a result of the implanted memory program being unable to properly reflect what an advanced society would presumably look like, in a kind of lingering "uncanny valley" effect, so that's another layer to it. Anyway, about the diversity of casting, I'll just say that the amount of women in the film has nothing to do with the amount of screentime or impact they have on the story (which is a lot, especially in the case of Melina, for the reasons I just listed). I mean, Persona has the same amount of major female characters in it as Total Recall does; does that mean they didn't have enough impact on that film? Anyway, it makes sense as a creative decision to have just two major female characters in the film, so that they can better contrast one another as mirror images, and it's also worth noting that, by the end of the film
Quaid has rejected the one who was portrayed by a "sex symbol"-actress who checked off every conventional box Hollywood had for standards of female beauty (blonde, blue-eyed, white, etc.), and embraced the one who was played by a Latina actress, a racial dynamic that's still pretty rare these days, let alone 30+ years ago, which is additional evidence for how progressive the film's casting/characterizations really were.

I forgot the opening line.

By Source, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=29389100

Rabbit Hole - (2010) - rewatch

Saw this a decade ago and loved it the first time around. A glimpse inside the life of couple Becca and Howie (portrayed by Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart) and how they process their grief after losing a child in an accident. Becca becomes aggressive and angry, Howie just seems lost. They go to grief counselling where Becca starts picking fights and embarrassing Howie. Meanwhile Howie latches on to the newly single Gabby (Sandra Oh) by smoking pot with her and having a good time. Eventually Becca reaches out to the kid who caused the accident, Jason, and encourages him when she sees a comic he's created - Rabbit Hole - which deals with alternate universes.

Kidman was nominated for a best actress Oscar (the year of Black Swan and Natalie Portman's win.) She conveys her 'angry grief' well. Her sensitivity to everything, and rejection of her husband keep us on edge. A wrong move and someone's going to have a complete breakdown. I like the way she finds comfort in the comic book written by the boy who accidently killed her child. The film has a nice ending, and by nice I mean it works well within the confines of this film - a film more true to life than most. Another welcome cast member is Dianne Wiest, playing Becca's mother Nat. Nat has lost a son herself, but Becca is always quick to point out that losing a son who's 30 is a different thing. Both true and untrue - and cruel.

For what it was, based on a play by David Lindsay-Abaire which he adpated for this film, it's an insightful film about loss comparable to Ordinary People and films like it. There's nothing outrageous, but many uncomfortable and sad moments woven together. It's quite short and to the point. We don't linger over the shocking events. Those events reverberate well throughout the whole film. Really good one this, but again, not as good to me as it was the first time around.

6/10

I don't disagree, I just didn't think it totally translated. For example, we get scenes that don't include Doug . . . which makes no sense if it's a fantasy.
That's the thing, though; the film doesn't explicitly comfirm that it is a fantasy, as there are about as many aspects of it that point to it being real as there are the opposite, so, besides the neccessary exposition they provide to us as an audience, the scenes without Quaid provide an additional "plausible deniability" to the idea that it's not just happening in his head. Besides, the Rekall guy said Quaid's fantasy had gone haywire in his brain, so it makes sense for it to be shifting its focus as a result of that malfunction, and despite the central real/not-real conceit, the movie still has to operate as a coherent bit of cinematic storytelling to us as an audience. It's why the film is still mostly shot from an outside, "objective" perspective, instead of entirely from Quaid's personal 1st-person perspective (ala Hardcore Henry), and if it's all a fantasy, then it also doesn't "make sense" to include the shot of Richter reacting in anger after Quaid has escaped from him by jumping onto the train, since the former is already out of his line of sight, so it's a thin line to try to draw anyway.

Can't wait!
I also have absolutely loved Natasha/Black Widow/Johannson. I'm a huge Marvel fan and she has been one of my favorite characters since The Avengers. She really become the glue that holds that whole thing together and I was glad to see her as the leader in Endgame and then... well, the fitting resolution of her arc.
Really look forward to this movie.
same here since iron man 2 and i agree she does an amazing job as natasha also im glad i have all the pop vinyls and statues of her aswell . she so perfect as a leader i agree. at the end of the credits the scene shocked me :O especially julia louis dreyfus from the falcon and the winter soldier was on it

Lost In London

Alright mate... Horrible.. utterly dreadful mate So it was shot in one take and live streamed, why would they go to so much effort with such a crap script and idea mate alright mate... Woody harrelson at his worst, England at its worst.. alright mate alright mate the people who conceived and made this film should be wiped from existence mate alright mate meaningless soulless drivel would be too kind.. but I guess it was a technical achievement... no.. doesn’t look good either.. mate.. portrays my country horribly.. just bizarre and we don’t say mate in every sentence **** off
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

I see little evidence that Melina was intended to be some sort of "improbably hot" fantasy woman
Doug literally orders her off of a menu in the scene where he is making choices about his fantasy.

In fact, she HAS to be a fantasy woman because otherwise
the whole sequence where they are trying to convince Doug that he's in a dream wouldn't work
. Her being a fantasy is essential to a big part of the film.

so the sleazy come-ons aren't indicators of her thinking he's a "sex machine", but clearly just an act she's putting on
The person who thinks he's a sex machine is the other very sexy lady.

Besides that, saying that all of the key players in the film doesn't make sense, when you consider how big an impact Melina has on the story
I didn't mean key players in the sense of main characters. I was criticizing the limit of imagination shown in how the film envisions the future and remarking on the fact that in this portrayal of the future, men are still in charge of all the important stuff and they are the vast, vast majority of the spies/toughs as well. There is one woman in the agency, and not only is she somebody's "girl," her job is to pretend to be a wife (complete with all wifely duties).

it's definitely a progressive characterization
Agree to disagree. Did the film have a single important female character who didn't have sex with the male lead?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Melina and appreciated her very active role in the action in the latter half of the film. But doing better than other people who were doing horribly does not mean you did well. Like the shot where Doug punches out Lori and then the camera conveniently comes to rest on a shot of her spandex-clad butt. Very progressive, A+.

Ya'll are like talking me down to

Heh, heh. Well, I don't know. But if you run across one, let me know..
I only have some audio. The Miles was released as part of Bitches Brew Live, I have a boot of James Brown's set. I have part of Zappa's but only as an audience recording. Seriously, given its reputation (which, for those unaware, this was the largest scale event to fuse jazz musicians and rock musicians in one venue, all one month before Miles even recorded Brew), I'm surprised that there hasn't been an effort at archiving and restoring the material. I don't know if anyone was filming at all, but surely someone has something which could be used to document it.

What I'm saying is that you buried the lead, which is that you were an eyewitness to this legendary event. I'm sure there are many stories....

Doug literally orders her off of a menu in the scene where he is making choices about his fantasy.

In fact, she HAS to be a fantasy woman because otherwise
the whole sequence where they are trying to convince Doug that he's in a dream wouldn't work
. Her being a fantasy is essential to a big part of the film.

The person who thinks he's a sex machine is the other very sexy lady.

I didn't mean key players in the sense of main characters. I was criticizing the limit of imagination shown in how the film envisions the future and remarking on the fact that in this portrayal of the future, men are still in charge of all the important stuff and they are the vast, vast majority of the spies/toughs as well. There is one woman in the agency, and not only is she somebody's "girl," her job is to pretend to be a wife (complete with all wifely duties).

Agree to disagree. Did the film have a single important female character who didn't have sex with the male lead?

Don't get me wrong, I liked Melina and appreciated her very active role in the action in the latter half of the film. But doing better than other people who were doing horribly does not mean you did well. Like the shot where Doug punches out Lori and then the camera conveniently comes to rest on a shot of her spandex-clad butt. Very progressive, A+.

Ya'll are like talking me down to
If you move it down by a few more popcorns, pretty sure it resets to 5.

A quiet place 2 8/10

If you move it down by a few more popcorns, pretty sure it resets to 5.
I believe that’s called a total recall.

I only have some audio. The Miles was released as part of Bitches Brew Live, I have a boot of James Brown's set. I have part of Zappa's but only as an audience recording. Seriously, given its reputation (which, for those unaware, this was the largest scale event to fuse jazz musicians and rock musicians in one venue, all one month before Miles even recorded Brew), I'm surprised that there hasn't been an effort at archiving and restoring the material. I don't know if anyone was filming at all, but surely someone has something which could be used to document it.
What I'm saying is that you buried the lead, which is that you were an eyewitness to this legendary event. I'm sure there are many stories....
Frank recorded many of our shows. Seems like he would have recorded the Newport, since it was rather a milestone. I'm not sure if he used any of it on any album releases. He very commonly edited-in bits and pieces from many shows-- some were years apart.

I do have a couple of stories, but they're X rated.. I can tell you that the guys were determined to play their best because we had lots of pure jazz veterans listening and watching, so I recall it being a good show. I'd like to hear it myself..

We went on to play several jazz festivals. One I recall was the Charlotte, NC Jazz Festival. All of the other acts were pure jazz: Roland Kirk, Gary Burton, Duke Ellington, and a bunch of others.

At the "wrap" party at the Hilton, I walked into the crowded ballroom and looked for the bar. There wasn't one, but they had a table set up in the middle of the room which had a very large punch bowl sitting on it, full of champagne punch. When I went to get a cup, I looked at the server who was a long hair, and his eyes seemed to be rolling in different directions. I looked closer, and there was about 6" of sludge at the bottom of the bowl. It was LSD. I thought, "Oh, f**k it, and drained a cup (and had several more). 10 minutes later I'm standing there talking with Larry Coryell, when all of a sudden the whole ballroom lit up in flames.. It was a helluva acid trip. I almost left with some Hippies who had a commune. Came down the next day..

Frank recorded many of our shows. Seems like he would have recorded the Newport, since it was rather a milestone. I'm not sure if he used any of it on any album releases. He very commonly edited-in bits and pieces from many shows-- some were years apart.
Yeah, like the You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore sets. I haven't gone deep on all of the dates used for those.

I do have a couple of stories, but they're X rated..
That why I asked!!!

I can tell you that the guys were determined to play their best because we had lots of pure jazz veterans listening and watching, so I recall it being a good show. I'd like to hear it myself..
There's a few clips on Youtube, all of which appear to come from the same audience tape that I have. And there's also
, which is proof that somebody was filming in a professional capacity at the time (and with much better fidelity, but heavily edited).

We went on to play several jazz festivals. One I recall was the Charlotte, NC Jazz Festival. All of the other acts were pure jazz: Roland Kirk, Gary Burton, Duke Ellington, and a bunch of others.
If you'll indulge my music nerd, were you still with the Mothers when Zappa guested with Pink Floyd at a Belgian festival that October?

At the "wrap" party at the Hilton, I walked into the crowded ballroom and looked for the bar. There wasn't one, but they had a table set up in the middle of the room which had a very large punch bowl sitting on it, full of champagne punch. When I went to get a cup, I looked at the server who was a long hair, and his eyes seemed to be rolling in different directions. I looked closer, and there was about 6" of sludge at the bottom of the bowl. It was LSD. I thought, "Oh, f**k it, and drained a cup (and had several more). 10 minutes later I'm standing there talking with Larry Coryell, when all of a sudden the whole ballroom lit up in flames.. It was a helluva acid trip. I almost left with some Hippies who had a commune. Came down the next day..
As Zappa was fervently anti-drug, I've always wondered about the possibility that, since these situations were quite common in the era, he may have found himself spontaneously dosed. Which I'm sure must have annoyed him greatly.