The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame IV

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Some really great lists across the board here.

Seen 9 of allaby's. Pretty cool to see, along with others, Ride The Pink Horse in there. Quite the hidden gem that one

Seen 5 of CR's. Cool little list and nice to see the assist for adding to CR's unwatched classic Disney films. Alice should be a lot of fun for him. I was tempted to go with Pinocchio for him when I went searching for a nom.

Only 3 of Frederick's and one that is on my watchlist is in there.

A grand total of 8 on neiba's. Though, like I remarked, I really should take Diabloque off my list since it was back in the early 90s when I saw it and haven't since. I think I will so I can improve that revisit.

An even grander total of 10 for Okay. I was surprised to see such an open board to choose from with Okay so it was almost utterly random when I picked one for him.
Two things I thought were kinda cool. Since Apocolypse and Platoon normally get compared it'll be intriguing that he'll see 'em both.
I also noticed I share a film with okay as well: Woman in the Dunes. We'll see how be both feel about it.

Another large amount, 9 for raul's noms. Both raul and sean still remain a bit of an enigma when it comes to choosing for. Hopefully I found some decent ones for them both.

8 for sean with a childhood favorite that I'd like to revisit one day; Silent Running.

5 for Siddon. Was surprised about Poseidon NOT being seen by you and I'll try to remember the remark about considering noirs for you.

6 with Takoma. Interesting spread on that one.

7 with Thief. A number of them, faves.

7 of Thursday's. Some of which I'm looking forward to how she feels about them

And with the least-watched, only 2 out of cricket's.

As for myself:
Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987) One from my watchlist -- SWEET
Black Orpheus (1959) Seen this one pop up a few times and while it doesn't seem like something I wanted to see, it could end up a surprise.
Born Yesterday (1950) An unknown George Cukor film so it should be a lot of fun.
Captain Courageous (1937) A classic MustSee! and now I finally get to
Grave of the Fireflies (1988) One I had avoided due to how depressing I've heard it to be but I have also heard nothing but great reviews for it, so, while it'll be a hard watch, it will be an incredible watch.
Grizzly Man (2005) Heard a lot about this Doc, should be fun.
Le Jour Se Leve (1939) And another from my watchlist -- YAY
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) Another MUSTSEE! from the 30s -- VERY nice!
The Right Stuff (1983) I have seen this when it came out and only once and I don't think I saw all of it, and remember nearly nothing of it so I purposely kept it unchecked and now I'll have a proper viewing of it.
The Searchers (1956) One of two from the Westerns I need to see
Shane (1953) and here be the second. A mandatory addition to a proper western list
Woman in the Dunes (1964) Know pretty much nil about this one and honestly have no idea where it will land. Hence the fun!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Allaby's list - seen 11/12. A couple of really good films here. Almost don't want to say which because it might give away my pick.

CR's list - seen 11/12. Quite a varied list here. I think you will enjoy a few of these.

Ed's list - seen 8/12 You got an 80s coming of age movie anyway - John Hughes who? :P

Hey Fredrick - seen 10/12 Someone thought Brief Encounter was the best pick for someone who doesn't like romantic films? Interesting...

Neiba - seen 11/12. A couple of fun noms in amongst the gloom!

Okay - seen 11/12 A lot of classics here, but some of them will have to finish quite low down.

raul - seen 11 - I really think you will like my nom but I've been wrong before

Sean - seen 9/12 - A few of the noms were my back up options here, so will be interesting to see what you make of them.

Siddon - 5/12 Quite a varied bunch of noms

Takoma - seen 10/12 We both got Wendy and Lucy, that will be interesting. You've got a couple of my absolute favourites here. Not sure these are all optimistic, but that was quite a task, my pick for you isn't 100% optimistic but I hope you enjoy it...perhaps we should all have picked from the 100 cheers list.

Thief - seen 11/12 I think you might have the best list of the lot over all.

Cricket - seen 5/12 Really interested to see what you think of a couple of these.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Cranes are Flying (1957) - I wanted to see this since it was in the last personal rec hall of fame, good choice!
The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - I've been intrigued by this since I watched Shape of Water, looking forward to it.
Gentleman's Agreement (1947) - A bit unsure about the premise of this one but it will be good to see it.
In Cold Blood (1967) - Don't know much about this. I think I failed to finish the book once.
La Collectionneuse (1967) - I think I had this mixed up in my head with The Collector, but of course it's a completely different film. Not a fan of Rohmer so far but will give it a try.
The Little Foxes (1941) - Wanted to see this back when we did the 40s countdown but it slipped off my list.
The River (1951) - Know nothing at all about this one.
Rosemary's Baby (1968) - I thought this might be picked for me since it's on a lot of lists and I haven't seen it.
Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - Definitely should have watched this one by now.
Waterloo Bridge (1940) - I've seen the 1930s version, so it will be interesting to compare.
Wendy and Lucy (2008) - Always good to see more from the directed by women list.

A lot from the 40s, 50s and 60s! Pretty happy with my list overall, looking forward to getting started.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954) - I've been intrigued by this since I watched Shape of Water, looking forward to it.

The Shape of Water was 2hrs long, The Creature trilogy runs just under four hours...I highly recommend watching all three films. They are all stand alones but inspired parts of The Shape of Water and 100% worth it.

I wanted to give somebody Black Dynamite so bad but comedies... I haven't had good luck nominating them.
Yeah, comedies are tricky. For what it's worth, I really like Black Dynamite. The "figuring out the conspiracy" sequence in the diner is one of my favorite things ever.

The Cranes are Flying (1957) - I wanted to see this since it was in the last personal rec hall of fame, good choice!
Gentleman's Agreement (1947) - A bit unsure about the premise of this one but it will be good to see it.
In Cold Blood (1967) - Don't know much about this. I think I failed to finish the book once.
La Collectionneuse (1967) - I think I had this mixed up in my head with The Collector, but of course it's a completely different film. Not a fan of Rohmer so far but will give it a try.
The Little Foxes (1941) - Wanted to see this back when we did the 40s countdown but it slipped off my list.
The River (1951) - Know nothing at all about this one.
Rosemary's Baby (1968) - I thought this might be picked for me since it's on a lot of lists and I haven't seen it.
Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - Definitely should have watched this one by now.
Waterloo Bridge (1940) - I've seen the 1930s version, so it will be interesting to compare.
Wendy and Lucy (2008) - Always good to see more from the directed by women list.

A lot from the 40s, 50s and 60s! Pretty happy with my list overall, looking forward to getting started.
2 people tried picking Gentleman's Agreement for you.

Takoma - seen 10/12 We both got Wendy and Lucy, that will be interesting. You've got a couple of my absolute favourites here. Not sure these are all optimistic, but that was quite a task, my pick for you isn't 100% optimistic but I hope you enjoy it...perhaps we should all have picked from the 100 cheers list.
Nah. I'd rather watch a good movie than a mediocre movie that's "happy". I just know that right now I'm more receptive to optimistic stories because I've been a bit stressed.

Bless ya'll for accommodating all my quirks and demands.

And @CitizenRules;, while there are a few moments of violence in Zodiac, the film leans much more on atmosphere and suspense and tension. It feels much more like a mystery/thriller than a serial killer film. I think it's pretty great, and I'm not sure I've ever talked to someone who didn't at least like it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Allaby 5/12 and they are all quite good! Curious to see what you think of Fail Safe.
CR 6/12 I think you'll love Bob le Flambeur and hopefully my nom
Ed 5/12 I considered 3 of these before picking my nom, quite an interesting list
Hey Fredrick 5/12 You are forbidden to dislike It's Such a Beautiful Day!
Okay 9/12 Imagine being able to watch some of these gems for the first time. I envy you!
Raul 6/12 It's a surprise you haven't watched Godfather 2 yet. Hope you like it. for me, it's the best one of the three.
Sean 3/12 A list filled with hidden gems, sounds very interesting!!!
Siddon 2/12 It's always a challenge to pick for Siddon, I never heard of half of these movies.
Takoma 3/12 Every film here that I haven't seen has been on my watchlist for a long time. Nice list.
Thief 6/12 Curious to see what you'll think of Touch of Evil
Thursday Next 5/12 Very varied list, so cool!
Cricket 1/12 and that's my nom! But no wonder as cricket has seen almost everything from the lists.

JFK: I've always been interested in this, but it's one of those things where, unless it's at the very top of your must see list, you don't usually pick the long movie.

Field of Dreams: If they build it, they will come. Is that right? Strange that I've never seen this and I am a lifelong sports fan. Only thing I can think of is that I usually don't pick out family friendly movies.

Sophie's Choice: I didn't like Meryl Streep when I was younger but I feel different now. I know this is the only movie on one of the lists I haven't seen. 100 years 100 movies I think.

Red Road: I remember this showing up on the female directors countdown. I'm sure I looked it up then but I don't remember now. A blind watch.

The Decline of Western Civilization: I'm pretty sure this is on the documentary list but it's a blind watch.

Stranger than Paradise: I'm not sure what list this is on but I believe this is a Jim Jarmusch movie. I can't stand what I've seen of him so far but I wanted to try more.

Dheepan: I think this is on the Cannes list. Blind watch.

Monsieur Hire: I think this is on the Ebert list, blind watch.

The Testament of Dr Mabuse: I think this is a series of movies. I looked one of them up once and thought they looked really good. One of them is very long, I don't know if it's this one. This is probably on the 30s list?

Life is Sweet, Brother's Keeper, and Caravaggio: All blind watches and I don't know what lists they're on. When that's the case, it's probably either female directors, documentaries, Cannes, or British.

Surprised nobody picked the movie I most want to see. There's always next time, or the time after, or the time after that.

Noms for other people I haven't seen-
The Birds, the Bees, and the Italians
Black Dynamite
Seven Up!
Mustang
Mystery Train
The Voices
Another Earth
Scott Pilgrim vs the World
The Full Monty

Thief 6/12 Curious to see what you'll think of Touch of Evil
It's been on my radar since like forever. I think it's the one I'm most looking forward from the bunch. We'll see.

I'm pleased with the variety of films picked for me. I've got films from the 30s, 40s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2010s, including drama, documentary, comedy, adventure, romance, crime, action, and film noir. They all look great and I'm confident I will love them all!

The Testament of Dr Mabuse: I think this is a series of movies. I looked one of them up once and thought they looked really good. One of them is very long, I don't know if it's this one. This is probably on the 30s list?
I really like this film.