The Wire, The Sopranos, or Breaking Bad?

Tools    

The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad?
28.00%
7 votes
The Wire
36.00%
9 votes
The Sopranos
36.00%
9 votes
Breaking Bad
25 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Duplicate Account (locked)
These three shows to me are the greatest ones to exist, to me the sopranos is probably the best one because of the intimate quality. Both The Sopranos and The Wire are very intellectually stimulating, it's cool how with the wire they show cross sections of many aspects of the city. Breaking Bad is basically like the televised version of smoking crystal meth.

Which one is the best to you? Do you have any other series that you think are just as good or better?

Haven't seen The Sopranos yet, but The Wire is my #2 TV show and Breaking Bad is my #3, so there you go.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Breaking Bad is okay, not quite The Shield level but almost as good as The Americans. But all these are entertainment. The Wire is something else. It's a real solid sociological thesis on the interdependence of various fields of Baltimore's politics, economy, culture and society, and, by extension modern urban life. And it's more about anti-narratives (plots that go nowhere, police work that doesn't progress) than the other series' adventures. It hardly goes on the same shelves. It's entertaining at a meta-level, like Samuel Beckett.

I enjoy Spielberg or McTiernan as much as any other person. But Ettore Scola is a whole different thing.

Breaking Bad is okay, not quite The Shield level but almost as good as The Americans. But all these are entertainment. The Wire is something else. It's a real solid sociological thesis on the interdependence of various fields of Baltimore's politics, economy, culture and society, and, by extension modern urban life. And it's more about anti-narratives (plots that go nowhere, police work that doesn't progress) than the other series' adventures. It hardly goes on the same shelves. It's entertaining at a meta-level, like Samuel Beckett.

I enjoy Spielberg or McTiernan as much as any other person. But Ettore Scola is a whole different thing.

While The Sopranos isn't quite as complicated or realistic as The Wire, it has a pretty deep social element (yet not sociological). I really dig the juxtaposition of tough guy mobster psychology with the more "liberal" and gushy aspect of psychiatry, along with all the conversations about identity politics which were picking up in the 90's. Imagine what the sopranos would look like now adays...

These three shows to me are the greatest ones to exist, to me the sopranos is probably the best one because of the intimate quality. Both The Sopranos and The Wire are very intellectually stimulating, it's cool how with the wire they show cross sections of many aspects of the city. Breaking Bad is basically like the televised version of smoking crystal meth.

Which one is the best to you? Do you have any other series that you think are just as good or better?
The Sopranos has always been my #1 show. Huge fan of The Wire & The Shield.

The Italian sensation Gomorrah is a fantastic show. Final season got delayed, but it will appear one of these days. Gomorrah is like The Sopranos, but without any humor.

Breaking Bad is okay, not quite The Shield level but almost as good as The Americans.
I hated The Americans. Love Breaking Bad.

Another terrific series is Six Feet Under.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Another terrific series is Six Feet Under.
One of my personal favorites of all time.

And let's face it: FEW series can match that series finale for beauty, plot tie-ups and general satisfaction.

Might be time for a rewatch.

One of my personal favorites of all time.

And let's face it: FEW series can match that series finale for beauty, plot tie-ups and general satisfaction.

Might be time for a rewatch.
I’ve seen it 3 times. As recently as last year.

I’ve seen it 3 times. As recently as last year.
I'm sure I've seen it that many times too. Never gets old. This week is my usual rewatch of HBO's John Adams series. Next week I might take another run at The Sopranos.

Gotta admit, most of my favorite series of all time have come from HBO.

I'm sure I've seen it that many times too. Never gets old. This week is my usual rewatch of HBO's John Adams series. Next week I might take another run at The Sopranos.

Gotta admit, most of my favorite series of all time have come from HBO.
John Adams is something that doesn’t appeal at all. Not a fan of period stuff.

No one surpasses HBO. Not even close.

Did you ever see the two-season Enlightened with Laura Dern or The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow on HBO? I highly recommend both of them.

Did you ever see the two-season Enlightened with Laura Dern or The Comeback with Lisa Kudrow on HBO? I highly recommend both of them.
FX is better

American Horror Story
American Crime Story
The Americans
Damages
Fargo
Justified
The League
Legion
Nip/Tuck
Rescue Me
The Shield
Sons of Anarchy
The Strain
You're the Worst

FX is better

American Horror Story
American Crime Story
The Americans
Damages
Fargo
Justified
The League
Legion
Nip/Tuck
Rescue Me
The Shield
Sons of Anarchy
The Strain
You're the Worst
Fargo, Justified & The Shield all good. That’s it for FX.

Saw The Comeback. Kudrow is so delightful in anything she does.

No period stuff? Not even Deadwood? Another of my absolute faves, which I rewatch several times a year.

If we wait long enough, even The Sopranos will become period stuff.

Saw The Comeback. Kudrow is so delightful in anything she does.

No period stuff? Not even Deadwood? Another of my absolute faves, which I rewatch several times a year.

If we wait long enough, even The Sopranos will become period stuff.
I watched Deadwood only for yummy Tim Olyphant. Good show, but definitely not a fave.

True on The Sopranos. Someone here commented recently that it’s amusingly dated or something to that effect. Can’t remember her exact words.

True on The Sopranos. Someone here commented recently that it’s amusingly dated or something to that effect. Can’t remember her exact words.
Gabagoo (3047)

This is a compelling sci-fi sequal of the primitive and inferior series "The Supranos" of the early 21st century. In the year 10,000, Melika Cazzamblanca (the niece of a suprano family counter-agent twice removed) finds a soylent green DVD tucked away in a trash can. Shocked and Intrigued, she starts a Deli and a crack den which then orbits the star Xenon XXIV.

Edits: I can't effing spell.

@Austruck, did you like Veep? I’m not a comedy fan per se, but this show was so hilarious. Probably the funniest show for me since The Office UK.

A system of cells interlinked
All of the above!

@Austruck, did you like Veep? I’m not a comedy fan per se, but this show was so hilarious. Probably the funniest show for me since The Office UK.
For some reason, this show never interested me, so I've never watched it. I'm not a fan of political humor in most any form, and since I lean probably a lot further right than anyone associated with Veep, I gave it a pass.