The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Vampyr is great but not the Dreyer I chose. (Not much of a spoiler)
Look forward to loudly expressing my disgust when that movie inevitably shows up.

Between Mirror, Knife in the Water, Vampyr and Roma, I've seen none of them.

At this rate, I'll be lucky to see half my top 25 show up. Oh well.

Look forward to loudly expressing my disgust when that movie inevitably shows up.
Ah, the passion of groan of Rock.

I forgot the opening line.
Well, I've seen Vampyr now, thanks @matt72582 - I loved it. Creepy atmosphere, great cinematography and a plot straight from a dream. Already adore The Passion of Joan of Arc so Dreyer really seems to work for me. Last night I watched Porco Rosso which was charming, uplifting and funny. Haven't seen Roma.

None from my list yet, which could be good thing or a bad thing...

-------------------------------------------------

Films I've seen : 5
Films that have been on my radar : 1
Films I've never even heard of : 12
Films I've heard of : 1

Films from my list : 0

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen either Vampyr or Roma. Roma was on my watchlist for this countdown because I remembered hearing how good it was when it was nominated for several Oscars, but I didn't get a chance to watch it.

Both these films are terrific. Both close to 10 out of 10. Vampyr is one of the most influential films of all time, and an essential Dreyer. Roma is one of the best films made this century. Both would be in my top 50 or 60 but I didn't vote for either.

I love Vamypr. It may be my favorite vampire movie. Here's my review for the 24th HoF:

This movie is almost 90 years old, has no monster costumes and has two special effects that barely qualify as such these days, but it still cut through my defenses and chilled me more than several modern horror movies have. I love how it put me in hero Allan Grey's shoes before I realized it. With passions to which this horror movie fan can relate and Julian West's wide eyes and relatable reactions, his fears and desires became mine nearly at frame one. It helps that the movie fulfills those desires at just the right times such as when Allan lends a helping hand to inflicted daughter Léone or when he consults the vampire guide for more instructions. The movie is also a masterclass in simplicity and elegance. I have seen dozens of horror movies and thus believe it will take a lot for each one I see to scare me, but it only took a door swinging open or the image of a scythe to get my adrenaline flowing or the turning of a gear to bring me relief. Speaking of that scythe, which appropriately graces the movie's HBO Max thumbnail, the movie demonstrates director Dreyer's talent for letting images speak volumes. I'm not sure if it's how he plays with your expectations - a shadow of someone digging a hole is one thing, but showing it in reverse is something else - good timing - I mean, what's more consoling than seeing sunshine through the clouds after what Allan and Léone have been through - or perspective - I'm talking about the "grave cam" - but Dreyer sure had a knack for showing without telling and making the images indelible. Again, there are no elaborate costumes, makeup or sprays of blood, but it's still one of the best movies I've seen in the horror genre. While I still enjoy seeing such things as much as the next horror fan does, it's not only refreshing to be reminded that a mere shadow or facial expression can scare just as much, but also that they can still scare me.

Vampyr...was one of the nominations in the 24th HoF, where it did well coming in at 5th out of 13 films.

I wrote this in the 24th HoF
This is the type of unique and cinematically import film that I'm glad was nominated. I wish I could say I liked it, but closer to the truth to say I just appreciated it.

To me this felt like an experimental film as the shooting technique was way cool with many inventive shots, but the overall narrative of the film didn't do much for me and felt more of an outline as the story itself seemed to be lacking. The coffin scene with our main hero was the most creepiest shot. I especially liked the drilling of air holes into the coffin...Yikes

Knife In the Water and Vampyr are both films I'm not certain if I've seen or not (though I'm thinking more no on both. I think I get 'Knife' mixed up with Plein soleil in my head and while I own Vampyr I don't think I've seen it) But I have no doubts about Mirror or Roma... I've definitely not seen them. Stalker is the only Tarkovsky I've tried to watch and Roma is far too new for me to have seen.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
If it makes you feel any better, I accidentally voted for a movie that doesn't even exist yet.
If it makes you feel any better, you weren't the only person to do that. (Different film though).

64 points, 4 lists
82. Cache

Director

Michael Haneke, 2005

Starring

Daniel Auteuil, Juliette Binoche, Annie Girardot, Bernard Le Coq

64 points, 6 lists
81. Le Trou

Director

Jacques Becker, 1960

Starring

Michel Constantin, Jean Keraudy, Philippe Leroy, Raymond Meunier

Welcome to the human race...
I watched Caché for the first time not too long ago and liked it quite a bit. Might even be my favourite Haneke insofar as one can play favourites with films as off-putting as his.

Haven't seen Le Trou, though it's definitely on the to-do list.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Vive la France!

I'm not a big fan of Michael Haneke, mainly because it always feels like he really hates cinema. Or really hates people. Or both.

Le Trou on the other hand is a good film, very tense.

French double-whammy! Haven't seen any of these either so...

My Summary:

Seen: 4/20
My list: 1/25

My List  

I haven't seen any of the last several sets except Le Trou. I watched it in 2014 for the 5th HOF. According to my post about it in that thread, I enjoyed it. Unfortunately I haven't watched it since then and remember very little about it so it didn't get my vote.

BTW, will the list in the index post of the thread get linked to the posts for the individual movies? I find it easier to navigate these kinds of threads when the index is linked.

My Ballot:
2. The Skin I Live In (#92)
8. Paprika (#100)
23. Raise the Red Lantern (#91)
25. He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not (One-Pointers)

I watched Cache a while ago. I need to revisit it as my memory of it is kinda fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure it's my favorite Haneke. Very ambiguously menacing with how it refuses to hold your hand or provide answers to its mysteries. Also, without spoiling anything, the razor scene in the final act is a strong contender for the scariest scene in any non-horror film.

I haven't seen Le Trou, but it's been on my watchlist for a while.

Reply to Topic