Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Alone, 2020

Jessica (Jules Willcox) is a recently widowed woman who has packed up her life to move away from the city. As she travels through the Northwest, she runs into the same man (Marc Menchaca) over and over again. Her sense that he is up to no good is proven correct, and a game of cat-and-mouse ensues between the two of them in the isolated forest.

There is something really frustrating about movies where the main character(s) repeatedly makes poor choices, and something kind of satisfying and terrifying about movies where the main character(s) make the right choices but things so sideways despite that. While ultimately the film does rely on the main character making some really questionable decisions (namely not telling anyone about the creepy guy who is clearly following and harassing her), I did especially enjoy her evasions of him in the first third of the film. For example, when he pretends his car is broken down she's just like "Sorry! I'll tell a gas station!" and drives right by him. She only ever puts her window down a crack, and when he seems to be following her for a third time, she immediately calls 911. For me, this was actually the most suspenseful and effective section of the film because you know he's going to get her, but you can identify with her more strongly because she's not making dumb horror movie decisions (for the most part). You can see the whole "At what point do I freak out?" thought process in Jessica's head in the first act and it is very easy to sympathize with her.

The rest of the film follows a fairly predictable--though not unpleasantly so--course of events. He kidnaps her, she escapes. They stalk each other through the woods. There's a particularly nice overhead shot of Jessica half-swimming/half-drowning as she escapes by jumping into a river.

Aside from making a few bad choices that are key to moving the plot forward, Jessica is a pretty decent protagonist. Her choices in the majority of the film make sense, and her frustration as she repeatedly seeks help and is rebuffed evokes a lot of sympathy. The character element of trying to deal with her husband's recent death adds some heft to her attempts to survive.

The villain of the story--credited only as "The Man" is a bit less effective. He's basically your garden-variety movie serial killer. He seems to hate women. He's manipulative (using an arm sling to elicit sympathy a la Bundy) and confident. But ultimately there just isn't much to him. He's easy to hate because he is a rapist and a murderer, and Menchaca sells his cold-bloodedness well enough.

This is a perfectly decent--though not exceptional--entry in the "woman in a fight for survival" horror subgenre.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I think what elevates it above its fairly boilerplate script is that it’s directed by one of the all-time great DTV action auteurs: John Hyams (son of Peter Hyams).

He’s made some of the best DTV action flicks, Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning (the best US movie) and Dragon Eyes. With all of these projects, his ambition and deft hand with action and aesthetics are undeniable.

With Alone, he reaches so much higher than typical low budget woods films and even tries to stylistically evoke big budget man vs. nature flicks like Deliverance and The Revenant. The climactic fight specifically homages they style of the latter.

It makes some of the flimsier contrivances feel less oppressive because they’re in the hands of a filmmaker that knows how to create tension and make the action not only functional but superior to many big Hollywood contemporaries.

I forgot the opening line.

By Incorporates artwork by Howard Terpning - http://meansheets.files.wordpress.co...f-navarone.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=25628729 / By POV - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6141273

The Guns of Navarone (1961) / Force 10 From Navarone (1978) - DVD double feature rewatch

At 158 minutes, The Guns of Navarone always used to drag on a little too long for me. I've seen it enough, and know enough about it now, for me to appreciate the technical difficulties overcome and fine performances from Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn and David Niven. These were the days where anti-war films were a little more scarce, and combat was likened to a boy's adventure story. Although Alistair MacLean's novel and this adaptation is a boy's adventure story, careful heed is payed to how commando operations were played out - which makes things a little more realistic. It's belated sequel however drifts around aimlessly at times - and the characters rely on luck and help from imbedded agents at just the right time.

The cast in Force 10 From Navarone is kind of remarkable. Having a James Bond director in Guy Hamilton seems to have brought along quite a few Bond actors for the ride. Richard Kiel and Barbara Bach were both in The Spy Who Loved Me. Robert Shaw was "Donald 'Red' Grant" in From Russia With Love and I believe Edward Fox would appear in Never Say Never Again. It has a stirring soundtrack, but sometimes borrows from other films, such as The Battle of Britain - another Guy Hamilton film. The movie is shorter, but at nearly two hours some stretches get boring - not from a lack of action, but from a lack of character development and a decent script. Harrison Ford regretted taking part in the venture, saying it was the wrong role for him. Robert Shaw also complained about his lines, telling people he was considering retiring from acting. He was dead not long after.

I could write a book about sequels which came far too late. The second Navarone movie was meant to follow soon after the first, and have Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn reprising their roles. It's tortured development meant that nearly 20 years had gone by before casting could even start, and the three leads were far too old by that time. Inserting Robert Shaw and Edward Fox into the end of the first movie as the Peck/Niven characters feels a little wrong. Just imagine, before The Empire Strikes Back, they'd shown you the end of Star Wars but with Michael J. Fox and Richard Gere getting their medals as Luke and Han respectively. Would have felt weird? yeah. They should have scrubbed it. It didn't do well at the box office and there was no need.

I appreciate The Guns of Navarone a lot more now, and can see why Force 10 is barely remembered. I had a thing for Harrison Ford in the 1980s, and as such had Force 10 From Navarone in my VHS collection. It wasn't a favourite though.

Special Features - The Guns of Navarone has 5 or 6 featurettes that had been filmed during it's making. Even down to the cast members going shopping. It also has a commentary track by poor old J. Lee Thompson. He starts off strong, but as the movie goes on he struggles and at one point I thought he was going to die mid-commentary. He perks up at the end though, and has quite a few useful things to say all-around. Force 10 only has several trailers.

The Guns of Navarone - 8/10
Force 10 From Navarone - 4/10

Won't be able to include this in my monthly roundup as doesn't appear to have a proper entry on TMDb so might as well stick it in here.

Sikisma - [Stuck]
Arda Murat Akdag, 2015
Drama
DVR - Filmbox Arthouse

From IMDb:
A light and humorous exploration of one couple's marital problems.
Primarily a two-hander concerning an assistant referee and his actress wife talking through their issues whilst stuck in the lift of their apartment block. The acting from both is perfectly acceptable and their conversation is generally well enough written, with a few moments of humour dotted here and there and certainly rings true to life in places. Sadly though the piece is not only bookended with two weakly presented peripheral characters, who initially help set the scene, but then opts to also periodically interrupt the central conversation with those same two characters attempting to resolve the couples predicament. The narrative admittedly follows the expected path, with no twists or surprises, but would've still scored higher had it just been a two-hander.

St Maud (2019)

Got pretty into this, story about a religiously devout nurse to arrives "on a mission" to deliver palliative care to an actress but also introduce her to the "power of God". Naturally she's a bit hatstand and this is seen through various accounts of her past before taking on her latest post. Spooky and grimy, this satisfied.

Victim of The Night

By Incorporates artwork by Howard Terpning - http://meansheets.files.wordpress.co...f-navarone.jpg, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=25628729 / By POV - Impawards, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6141273

The Guns of Navarone (1961) / Force 10 From Navarone (1978) - DVD double feature rewatch

At 158 minutes, The Guns of Navarone always used to drag on a little too long for me. I've seen it enough, and know enough about it now, for me to appreciate the technical difficulties overcome and fine performances from Gregory Peck, Anthony Quinn and David Niven. These were the days where anti-war films were a little more scarce, and combat was likened to a boy's adventure story. Although Alistair MacLean's novel and this adaptation is a boy's adventure story, careful heed is payed to how commando operations were played out - which makes things a little more realistic. It's belated sequel however drifts around aimlessly at times - and the characters rely on luck and help from imbedded agents at just the right time.

The cast in Force 10 From Navarone is kind of remarkable. Having a James Bond director in Guy Hamilton seems to have brought along quite a few Bond actors for the ride. Richard Kiel and Barbara Bach were both in The Spy Who Loved Me. Robert Shaw was "Donald 'Red' Grant" in From Russia With Love and I believe Edward Fox would appear in Never Say Never Again. It has a stirring soundtrack, but sometimes borrows from other films, such as The Battle of Britain - another Guy Hamilton film. The movie is shorter, but at nearly two hours some stretches get boring - not from a lack of action, but from a lack of character development and a decent script. Harrison Ford regretted taking part in the venture, saying it was the wrong role for him. Robert Shaw also complained about his lines, telling people he was considering retiring from acting. He was dead not long after.

I could write a book about sequels which came far too late. The second Navarone movie was meant to follow soon after the first, and have Gregory Peck, David Niven and Anthony Quinn reprising their roles. It's tortured development meant that nearly 20 years had gone by before casting could even start, and the three leads were far too old by that time. Inserting Robert Shaw and Edward Fox into the end of the first movie as the Peck/Niven characters feels a little wrong. Just imagine, before The Empire Strikes Back, they'd shown you the end of Star Wars but with Michael J. Fox and Richard Gere getting their medals as Luke and Han respectively. Would have felt weird? yeah. They should have scrubbed it. It didn't do well at the box office and there was no need.

I appreciate The Guns of Navarone a lot more now, and can see why Force 10 is barely remembered. I had a thing for Harrison Ford in the 1980s, and as such had Force 10 From Navarone in my VHS collection. It wasn't a favourite though.

Special Features - The Guns of Navarone has 5 or 6 featurettes that had been filmed during it's making. Even down to the cast members going shopping. It also has a commentary track by poor old J. Lee Thompson. He starts off strong, but as the movie goes on he struggles and at one point I thought he was going to die mid-commentary. He perks up at the end though, and has quite a few useful things to say all-around. Force 10 only has several trailers.

The Guns of Navarone - 8/10
Force 10 From Navarone - 4/10
I always struggle with this because I saw Force 10 first and absolutely loved it.
Because I had no baggage from Guns I was able to enjoy the film as the fun romp that it is without comparing it to its far more serious predecessor. Shaw is as charming and full of guile as ever and Fox is actually a favorite of mine from that generation of British actors as well (Day Of The Jackal, A Bridge Too Far). Loved him in this role, and in the context of this film, I kinda liked him more than Niven (even though I am a huge Niven fan and, in the contest of that film, obviously think he's the better man).
This was also the first time I saw Franco Nero and I thought it was a good introduction to him. Hell, liked Carl Weathers in this as much as I did in Rocky, honestly.
Also, it's really a caper-film much more than a war-movie and it's treated that way, almost like Ocean's 11 in WWII. In fact, now that I think about it, it's a helluva lot like Ocean's 11 In WW2. Which is a movie I'd always be happy to watch on a Sunday afternoon.
I see this movie get bashed all the time for not being a good sequel to Guns but honestly it's a fun little movie taken on its own terms and actually probably rates pretty highly up there in my Movies I Love That Hardly Anyone Else Does Anymore (Or Ever Did).

I always struggle with this because I saw Force 10 first and absolutely loved it.
Because I had no baggage from Guns I was able to enjoy the film as the fun romp that it is without comparing it its far more serious predecessor. Shaw is as charming and full of guile as ever and Fox is actually a favorite of mine from that generation of British actors as well (Day Of The Jackal, A Bridge Too Far). Loved him in this role, and in the context of this film, I kinda liked him more than Niven (even though I am a huge Niven fan and, in the contest of that film, obviously think he's the better man).
This was also the first time I saw Franco Nero and I thought it was a good introduction to him. Hell, liked Carl Weathers in this as much as I did in Rocky, honestly.
Also, it's really a caper-film much more than a war-movie and it's treated that way, almost like Ocean's 11 in WWII. In fact, now that I think about it, it's a helluva lot like Ocean's 11 In WW2. Which is a movie I'd always be happy to watch on a Sunday afternoon.
I see this movie get bashed all the time for not being a good sequel to Guns but honestly it's a fun little movie taken on its own terms and actually probably rates pretty highly up there in my Movies I Love That Hardly Anyone Else Does Anymore (Or Ever Did).
I revisited Force 10 recently and had a really good time with it.*But this kind of war movie is basically crack to me.*Get a decent cast together and saddle them with a reasonably interesting mission, and it'll get at least a 7/10 from me.*

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
He Ran All The Way - 6/10
Most home invasion movies I've seen have been really good, but this one was just.... generic.

But, Shelley Winters does NOT drown in this one

Victim of The Night
I revisited Force 10 recently and had a really good time with it.*But this kind of war movie is basically crack to me.*Get a decent cast together and saddle them with a reasonably interesting mission, and it'll get at least a 7/10 from me.*
I'm with you.

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I think what elevates it above its fairly boilerplate script is that it’s directed by one of the all-time great DTV action auteurs: John Hyams (son of Peter Hyams).

He’s made some of the best DTV action flicks, Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning (the best US movie) and Dragon Eyes. With all of these projects, his ambition and deft hand with action and aesthetics are undeniable.

With Alone, he reaches so much higher than typical low budget woods films and even tries to stylistically evoke big budget man vs. nature flicks like Deliverance and The Revenant. The climactic fight specifically homages they style of the latter.

It makes some of the flimsier contrivances feel less oppressive because they’re in the hands of a filmmaker that knows how to create tension and make the action not only functional but superior to many big Hollywood contemporaries.
I agree that stylistically it is a cut above (as with the overhead river shot I mentioned).

But the plot elements were just so generic, and I felt that neither the protagonist nor the antagonist had much of a character arc. The element of the
WARNING: spoilers below
husband's suicide
is used sort of effectively, but that thread never felt like it wrapped up to me.

SHIN GODZILLA (シン・ゴジラ)

Starts off incredible. Other Godzilla films are about a force connected to human sin, a visual representation of our actions against one another. This Godzilla, on the other hand, is unknowable, unexplainable, and unavoidable. As the city falters in his wake, all anyone can do is ask "why?". The mad scramble for answers is what makes the beginning of this movie work, and it's so thematically interesting that sustaining that intrigue over a 2 hour long running time is a practical impossibility. When the mystery starts to unravel, the movie starts to become less consistently engaging. There are some riveting scenes later on, but they become few and far between. For a movie that's only two hours long, it ends up feeling a lot longer. This doesn't ruin it, but it means you'll have to wait a bit to get to the greatest moments.

If this was a short film, I think it'd be a masterpiece. Unfortunately, it can't quite sustain it's massive ambition. That aside, this will probably end up being the best Godzilla movie. It's certainly the smartest yet, but coming from Hideaki Anno, that's not much of a surprise.

Dina - 6/10
A documentary I thought I'd like, but the characters (no fault of their own) got redundant.

I enjoyed it.

Allow me to be a tad controversial regarding LOTR but I got the 4K set and FINALLY watched the Extended Editions after all this time and…

The theatrical cuts are better.

The extended editions weren’t especially worse but what was added generally hampered the pacing and was superfluous (outside of a couple scenes). Also, the 4K made it apparent that these scenes weren’t mastered wit the same level of care and detail as the theatrical footage (see: Saruman’s final scene).

I’d still recommend them but not for initial viewing.

I agree that stylistically it is a cut above (as with the overhead river shot I mentioned).

But the plot elements were just so generic, and I felt that neither the protagonist nor the antagonist had much of a character arc. The element of the
WARNING: spoilers below
husband's suicide
is used sort of effectively, but that thread never felt like it wrapped up to me.
Agreed. I think it’s the kind of narrative that lives or dies on the execution due to its shallowness and predictability. I think if it was handed to any number of lesser directors and I would’ve tuned out.

I watched Nobody (2021). Directed by Ilya Naishuller, the film stars Bob Odenkirk as a family man who after a violent confrontation with a gang of thugs becomes the target of a dangerous drug lord. This was a lot of fun and one of the better action films I have seen in years. Odenkirk is fantastic and the film is fast paced, high octane, and relentless entertaining. It's been compared to films like John Wick, but I found Nobody much more enjoyable and satisfying. For me, right now, this is the 3rd best film of 2021.

Victim of The Night
Allow me to be a tad controversial regarding LOTR but I got the 4K set and FINALLY watched the Extended Editions after all this time and…

The theatrical cuts are better.

The extended editions weren’t especially worse but what was added generally hampered the pacing and was superfluous (outside of a couple scenes). Also, the 4K made it apparent that these scenes weren’t mastered wit the same level of care and detail as the theatrical footage (see: Saruman’s final scene).

I’d still recommend them but not for initial viewing.
Man, the extended Two Towers really saved that movie for me. I did not think much of the theatrical cut as it was. It's easier to watch now that I've seen the Extended but when I saw it in theaters I was terribly disappointed. Watching that made me want to watch the Extended Fellowship and I enjoyed the longer version but I think it's less essential.
I could maybe see a situation where one watches Fellowship as is, watches Extended Two Towers, and then it's dealer's choice on the last one, depending on how much hobbit action you want.

Agreed. I think it’s the kind of narrative that lives or dies on the execution due to its shallowness and predictability. I think if it was handed to any number of lesser directors and I would’ve tuned out.
I think that the direction really escalates the whole movie, and I think that combined with the stronger writing in the first third, the initial 20 or so minutes are actually really effective. When she kept rebuffing his attempts to guilt her or trap her (by making her be "mean" by not giving him a ride) I was super intrigued.

As it goes on, the solid direction keeps it engaging, but despite the technical competence on display, there was just nothing that could have made the last hour surprising (Gee! Wonder what's going to happen to this nice hunter man who keeps talking about his adorable wife!).

If somehow it had managed to keep the surprising aspect of the first third, it could have been a pretty awesome flick. And some of the thematic elements (like the protagonist and antagonist using each others' families as leverage) were RIGHT THERE. A missed opportunity.

Man, the extended Two Towers really saved that movie for me. I did not think much of the theatrical cut as it was. It's easier to watch now that I've seen the Extended but when I saw it in theaters I was terribly disappointed. Watching that made me want to watch the Extended Fellowship and I enjoyed the longer version but I think it's less essential.
I could maybe see a situation where one watches Fellowship as is, watches Extended Two Towers, and then it's dealer's choice on the last one, depending on how much hobbit action you want.
The extended cut of Two Towers was the only one if felt on the fence about being inferior. I enjoyed the development of Faramir and Theoden in particular but I ultimately think the development of those characters is superfluous and for side characters, they were developed enough in the theatrical cuts.

Return of the King EE had stuff I think is necessary but is poorly executed (Saruman’s final scene) and it introduces some awkward continuity issues ala Arwin’s necklace.

The theatrical cut of Fellowship is still my favorite of the entire franchise. It’s EE just makes its pacing, which perfectly escalates, a series of odd sputters and starts. I think it’s EE scenes was the least necessary as well. I thought the extra Boromir by the River scene and the Elven gifts were nice but unnecessary.