What are you currently binge-watching?

Tools    

I’ve watched quite a bit of this before. Am planning to watch all 15 seasons (on season 4 right now) as it’s included in my temporary Disney Plus subscription.

It’s quite fascinating how these people live whether by choice or because they were born in frozen remote Alaska. I cannot be cold so it’s fascinating to see the conditions here.
I’ve been trying to find somewhere to watch this for some time. Would you say Disney + as a whole is worth it?

I wish I had something to binge. Recommendations appreciated.
What kind of stuff are you into?

What kind of stuff are you into?
A pretty wide range. I did binge a few shows at the beginning of the pandemic and some were better than others. Ideally I’d be interested in very good crime or something with a slight supernatural slant (no goblins or other fantasy elements, but maybe telepathy or invisibility something). My favourite shows are Breaking Bad & Hannibal (more or less on the same level to me), but other than that, I liked The Sopranos and thought House of Cards started off well and then got tedious. I’m considering making a start on Mr. Robot, but something is stopping me.

A pretty wide range. I did binge a few shows at the beginning of the pandemic and some were better than others. Ideally I’d be interested in very good crime or something with a slight supernatural slant (no goblins or other fantasy elements, but maybe telepathy or invisibility something). My favourite shows are Breaking Bad & Hannibal (more or less on the same level to me), but other than that, I liked The Sopranos and thought House of Cards started off well and then got tedious. I’m considering making a start on Mr. Robot, but something is stopping me.
It's an obvious one, but I recommend Better Call Saul if you liked Breaking Bad. That and FX's What We Do in the Shadows (which I also recommend) are the best two TV series I watched last year.

As for me, I finally finished every season of Futurama, which ended well despite some forgettable to bad episodes in the last few seasons, so now I'm on to continuing Bob's Burgers. I really only have the time and attention span for ten-to-thirty minute animated series lately. If you or anyone else is into those, I recommend Infinity Train (HBO Max) and Castlevania (Netflix).

It's an obvious one, but I recommend Better Call Saul if you liked Breaking Bad. That and FX's What We Do in the Shadows (which I also recommend) are the best two TV series I watched last year.

As for me, I finally finished every season of Futurama, which ended well despite some forgettable to bad episodes in the last few seasons, so now I'm on to continuing Bob's Burgers. I really only have the time and attention span for ten-to-thirty minute animated series lately. If you or anyone else is into those, I recommend Infinity Train (HBO Max) and Castlevania (Netflix).
Thanks, these are great. Don’t blame you re: attention span. Might give Castlevania a try too.

Ok, if you'll allow me the lengthy post, here are a bunch of recs for crime-ish TV shows...

Fargo - Probably the best thing I'm watching right now. Showrunner Noah Hawley perfectly encapsulates the tone and vibe of the Coens as he follows up various stories, characters, and timelines around the US Midwest. It manages to be thrilling and funny at the same time. It has featured stars like Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Hanks, Patrick Wilson, Martin Freeman, Ewan McGregor, Shea Whigham, Carrie Coon, Chris Rock, and many more. I can't recommend it enough. It's on Hulu.

Bosch - This might look like a generic police procedural, but it's not. It's a very serious, very mature show about cops, most notably the titular one, played perfectly by Titus Welliver. First season follows a serial killer, second season has noir-ish elements, and from the third season forward, it sorta branches out a-la The Wire to focus on different facets of political and police corruption without losing the focus on the main character. It also manages to integrate his personal life and his relationship with his daughter quite well. I'm a huge fan. It's on Prime.

Goliath - This one's probably not as focused and well done as the above, but it's still a lot of fun. It follows a washed-up lawyer (Billy Bob Thornton again!) as he takes cases against big corporations (hence the title, David vs. Goliath). It's not procedural since each case takes the whole season while also delving into Billy's personal life and frustrations, and Thornton owns it. First season was pretty good, second season was not bad but took a bit of a dip, and third season was a bit crazy-ish. William Hurt and Dennis Quaid guest star through some of the seasons. It's also on Prime.

Mad Dogs - This one might be an easier sell cause it was cancelled after one season. The show follows four middle-aged friends that travel to Belize to celebrate the retirement of another friend, only to find themselves ensnared in a mess of crime, drug, murder, and whatnot. Starts a bit wacky and offbeat, but slowly shifts into a more dark and serious drama. Great performances by Ben Chaplin, Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, and Romany Malco. It's also on Prime

And a bunch of recs for more "supernatural"-ish TV shows...

The Terror - Follows a fictionalized account of the events surrounding the disappearance of the HMS Terror, an expedition that was trying to reach the Arctic. It is one of the most atmospheric and dread-inducing shows I've seen recently, but it also has some great performances from Jared Harris, Tobias Menzies, and Ciaran Hinds. It's an anthology show, so you can just watch season 1. Season 2 follows another story and I haven't seen it. It's on Hulu

Fortitude - Set in a fictional Norwegian town, it starts with the investigation of a violent murder, which ends up being tied with a series of possibly supernatural events. Stanley Tucci stars as the Inspector sent from London to investigate and he's superb, but then Richard Dormer picks up as the sheriff of the small town and he's excellent as well. It's the kind of show where, for better or worse, you never know what's gonna happen next. This one's not streaming free, which is why I still haven't watched the third and final season, but it's available for rental on Amazon, Apple TV, and VUDU.

Britannia - It follows a series of characters and groups involved in the Roman invasion of Britain, back in the times of the Roman Empire. Great production values and performances, and a very trippy and mystical atmosphere to it. I still haven't caught up with season 2, but I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. It's on Prime

Manhattan - Not really supernatural, but I think it fits this vibe more than it fits the crime-ish one above. It follows a fictionalized account of the developments of the Manhattan Project back in the early 1940s, as the egos and frustrations of those involved clash with the historical importance of the project. It features some actors/actresses that got big after this, like Rachel Brosnahan (before Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) and David Harbour (before Stranger Things), but John Benjamin Hickey was probably the actor I found more interesting. Daniel Stern, Peter Stormare, William Peterson, and Richard Schiff also have some solid recurring guest roles. It's on Hulu

Finally, if you haven't seen or haven't read anything about the Korean show Kingdom, on Netflix, then check it out. It might surprise you.

I had to restrain myself to throw a couple more recommendations, but I didn't want to overwhelm you. I think I failed anyway.

Ok, if you'll allow me the lengthy post, here are a bunch of recs for crime-ish TV shows...

Fargo - Probably the best thing I'm watching right now. Showrunner Noah Hawley perfectly encapsulates the tone and vibe of the Coens as he follows up various stories, characters, and timelines around the US Midwest. It manages to be thrilling and funny at the same time. It has featured stars like Billy Bob Thornton, Colin Hanks, Patrick Wilson, Martin Freeman, Ewan McGregor, Shea Whigham, Carrie Coon, Chris Rock, and many more. I can't recommend it enough. It's on Hulu.

Bosch - This might look like a generic police procedural, but it's not. It's a very serious, very mature show about cops, most notably the titular one, played perfectly by Titus Welliver. First season follows a serial killer, second season has noir-ish elements, and from the third season forward, it sorta branches out a-la The Wire to focus on different facets of political and police corruption without losing the focus on the main character. It also manages to integrate his personal life and his relationship with his daughter quite well. I'm a huge fan. It's on Prime.

Goliath - This one's probably not as focused and well done as the above, but it's still a lot of fun. It follows a washed-up lawyer (Billy Bob Thornton again!) as he takes cases against big corporations (hence the title, David vs. Goliath). It's not procedural since each case takes the whole season while also delving into Billy's personal life and frustrations, and Thornton owns it. First season was pretty good, second season was not bad but took a bit of a dip, and third season was a bit crazy-ish. William Hurt and Dennis Quaid guest star through some of the seasons. It's also on Prime.

Mad Dogs - This one might be an easier sell cause it was cancelled after one season. The show follows four middle-aged friends that travel to Belize to celebrate the retirement of another friend, only to find themselves ensnared in a mess of crime, drug, murder, and whatnot. Starts a bit wacky and offbeat, but slowly shifts into a more dark and serious drama. Great performances by Ben Chaplin, Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, and Romany Malco. It's also on Prime

And a bunch of recs for more "supernatural"-ish TV shows...

The Terror - Follows a fictionalized account of the events surrounding the disappearance of the HMS Terror, an expedition that was trying to reach the Arctic. It is one of the most atmospheric and dread-inducing shows I've seen recently, but it also has some great performances from Jared Harris, Tobias Menzies, and Ciaran Hinds. It's an anthology show, so you can just watch season 1. Season 2 follows another story and I haven't seen it. It's on Hulu

Fortitude - Set in a fictional Norwegian town, it starts with the investigation of a violent murder, which ends up being tied with a series of possibly supernatural events. Stanley Tucci stars as the Inspector sent from London to investigate and he's superb, but then Richard Dormer picks up as the sheriff of the small town and he's excellent as well. It's the kind of show where, for better or worse, you never know what's gonna happen next. This one's not streaming free, which is why I still haven't watched the third and final season, but it's available for rental on Amazon, Apple TV, and VUDU.

Britannia - It follows a series of characters and groups involved in the Roman invasion of Britain, back in the times of the Roman Empire. Great production values and performances, and a very trippy and mystical atmosphere to it. I still haven't caught up with season 2, but I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. It's on Prime

Manhattan - Not really supernatural, but I think it fits this vibe more than it fits the crime-ish one above. It follows a fictionalized account of the developments of the Manhattan Project back in the early 1940s, as the egos and frustrations of those involved clash with the historical importance of the project. It features some actors/actresses that got big after this, like Rachel Brosnahan (before Marvelous Mrs. Maisel) and David Harbour (before Stranger Things), but John Benjamin Hickey was probably the actor I found more interesting. Daniel Stern, Peter Stormare, William Peterson, and Richard Schiff also have some solid recurring guest roles. It's on Hulu

Finally, if you haven't seen or haven't read anything about the Korean show Kingdom, on Netflix, then check it out. It might surprise you.

I had to restrain myself to throw a couple more recommendations, but I didn't want to overwhelm you. I think I failed anyway.
Oh, I love lengthy posts. Thank you so much for these. Not sure about Britannia as I find it hard to get into anything pre-19th century (with the exception of the one and only Ice Age, heh!). But I need to grow in my film habits

Fortitude sounds like it was made just for me, I was just recently saying how the Nordic mentality really vibes with me. Will definitely check out all of them, Kingdom also especially of interest as I like all things Korean cinema. Quite weird that I haven’t heard of The Terror, need to up my game there.

Thanks again for the recs, what a list!

Fortitude sounds like it was made just for me, I was just recently saying how the Nordic mentality really vibes with me. Will definitely check out all of them, Kingdom also especially of interest as I like all things Korean cinema. Quite weird that I haven’t heard of The Terror, need to up my game there.
I heartily agree with Thief's first 3: Fargo, Bosch, and Goliath-- all multiple seasons.

In addition, you might like the first season of Berlin Station (I didn't care nearly as much for the 2nd and 3rd). It has outstanding writing, photography, editing, and first rate acting. I especially enjoyed Richard Jenkins' work.

Oh, I love lengthy posts. Thank you so much for these. Not sure about Britannia as I find it hard to get into anything pre-19th century (with the exception of the one and only Ice Age, heh!). But I need to grow in my film habits

Thanks again for the recs, what a list!
If you're not into anything pre-19th century, know that Kingdom is set in 16th century Korea, so it might not be for you. Who knows.

Anyway, glad you liked the other recs. Hope to read your thoughts if you decide to dive into any of those.

I heartily agree with Thief's first 3: Fargo, Bosch, and Goliath-- all multiple seasons.

In addition, you might like the first season of Berlin Station (I didn't care nearly as much for the 2nd and 3rd). It has outstanding writing, photography, editing, and first rate acting. I especially enjoyed Richard Jenkins' work.
I've been curious about that show but can never find it streaming anywhere.

If you're not into anything pre-19th century, know that Kingdom is set in 16th century Korea, so it might not be for you. Who knows.

Anyway, glad you liked the other recs. Hope to read your thoughts if you decide to dive into any of those.
It’s not a hard and fast thing at all, more like I don’t come across much, so I’ll definitely give it a try and be back to report.

Thank you! I am always on the lookout for Jenkins, so that sounds like a treat.

I agree with you. Jenkins is uncannily natural in any role that he plays. IMO he's one of the finest character actors of the past 40+ years.

Currently watching a Chinese drama / thriller show called 'The Bad Kids' about a group of kids that witness a murder. It is somewhat slow in the middle but has already had a few shocking twists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12477942/

I wish I had something to binge. Recommendations appreciated.
Two hbo shows I adore (both finished now) are Enlightened & The Comeback. Laura Dern stars in the 1st show & Lisa Kudrow in the 2nd show. Both shows that didn’t last too long & they should have.

I’ve been trying to find somewhere to watch this for some time. Would you say Disney + as a whole is worth it?
Hell, no. Unless you want to watch Hayley Mills movies! I subscribed only to see the ballet documentary On Pointe. And then got majorly into Life Below Zero. As soon as I am done with this, I am outta there.

I’m considering making a start on Mr. Robot, but something is stopping me.
I bailed out of this show PDQ.

Mad Dogs - This one might be an easier sell cause it was cancelled after one season. The show follows four middle-aged friends that travel to Belize to celebrate the retirement of another friend, only to find themselves ensnared in a mess of crime, drug, murder, and whatnot. Starts a bit wacky and offbeat, but slowly shifts into a more dark and serious drama. Great performances by Ben Chaplin, Steve Zahn, Michael Imperioli, and Romany Malco.
British original version lasted 4 series. Excellent show. The American version (described above) - also excellent - lasted only one season.

The Visitor is a nice movie with him.

Started The Simpsons for the second time from the beginning. Finished Season 2 this morning. Surprised as the first Season outside of maybe two clunkers is still really funny and unique from the following seasons. Season 2 starts off a little shaky but towards midseason Phil Hartmann joins the cast and it kind of never looks back.
The first season gets a bit of flak, probably because the animation and some character traits weren't as polished, but I think it's one of the best. Outside of one somewhat incongruous episode ("There's No Disgrace Like Home"), most of the rest is great. To me, season 1 through 4, maybe 5, is pure perfection (with season 3 probably being the peak for me).

Well, Kingdom duly binged. That was very good indeed. Ironic, I know. Preferred season 2, as things were really heating up. Will know not to express any preferences era- or otherwise in future.

I need to get to season 2! I'm way behind in most of my TV watching (just today, I watched Episode 5 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier)

A packet of chocolate hob-nobs.
Sorry, misread the title