Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

The Whistlers (2019)

@Stirchley, I’m pretty sure you recommended 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Thanks for that, stayed with me for months. Don’t know what that’s got to do with the above.
WTF, whoever did the subtitles for this film thinks ‘también’ means ‘of course’.

Tangerine (2015)

Around minute 47 we hear, and I quote, ‘…hair all straight like “‘them ****ing Asian hoes’” (triple quote marks lest someone attributes said lovely statement to myself), after which this is called a ‘progressive film’… not my cup of tea, though very well shot indeed and visually gorgeous, also great soundtrack, but the irony of the above has kind of overshadowed the rest. Probably not meant as malicious but still comes off in a way that jars with the rest of the film.

@Stirchley, I’m pretty sure you recommended 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Thanks for that, stayed with me for months. Don’t know what that’s got to do with the above.
WTF, whoever did the subtitles for this film thinks ‘también’ means ‘of course’.
4 months is one of my fave movies of all time. My fave genre too: a woman’s journey, be it through 24 hours or 24 months.

The Whistlers was so very bad.

4 months is one of my fave movies of all time. My fave genre too: a woman’s journey, be it through 24 hours or 24 months.

The Whistlers was so very bad.
Yeah, but I laughed at the subtitles. 4 months is perfect.

Yeah, but I laughed at the subtitles. 4 months is perfect.
As I watch everything with subs, it’s very amusing to see some of the translations. I picture someone with headphones typing furiously. Going by the sound of the word only & not paying any attention to meaning or context.

I once saw “I live in apartment 4G” translated as “I live in apartment 4 grand”.

Bridesmaids (2011)

I am trying, trying to broaden my horizons.
But this is… ah well, let’s see.
I’m sorry, but this is close to being the worst thing I’ve ever seen.
Which actually makes me wonder whether there’s an inherent reason why comedies are so often awful.

Breaking Surface (2021)

Can’t surmise the raison d’être for this,
WARNING: spoilers below
given it’s word-to-word the concept of 47 Meters Down
, apart from the snow, but whatever. Love Swedish films, so let’s see.
I suppose the predicament is rather far-fetched, as is common for the genre -
even more far-fetched than in 47 Meters Down,
but this is quite good. Always had an affinity for the Nordic POV, especially when it comes to film.
Plotting is a funny thing. It has to be seamless to work, like plastic surgery, otherwise, no matter how compelling it is, you find yourself thinking, Here we go, throwing yet more **** at the characters.

I Care A Lot (2020)

I am not excited about this, but the day had to come.
So annoying to hear a recycled soundtrack within 1 (!) minute of the film beginning! Dirge by Death in Vegas was already in Demonlover, which is not dissimilar.
I know this is not the right thread for this, but can someone explain
what Marla coughs out around minute 83?

I just had the most insane case of Covid PTSD: I watched the character walk into the corner shop and thought, Where is her mask?!
Well, I’m amased, but I LOVED this. Who’d have thought.