Suggestions for future countdowns

Tools    

Can't speak for others, but the idea tickles me for a few reasons:

1) It'd be a list with TONS of films people haven't heard of, so it'd be great for discovery.

2) It'd almost feel like a game, finding films that haven't shown up before. It'd be interactive and creative in a way the other lists haven't been, to my mind.

In short, it just sounds fun to me, and it'd probably be the weirdest and least predictable list we've done, so curiosity alone makes me like the idea.
You forgot number: 3) Siddon would be happy

Suggestions for future countdowns? Movie Forums: Top 50 Films set in the Future.

But seriously I like Yodas/ThursdayNexts idea, 2000-2009 would be cool as well.

Can't speak for others, but the idea tickles me for a few reasons:

1) It'd be a list with TONS of films people haven't heard of, so it'd be great for discovery.

2) It'd almost feel like a game, finding films that haven't shown up before. It'd be interactive and creative in a way the other lists haven't been, to my mind.

In short, it just sounds fun to me, and it'd probably be the weirdest and least predictable list we've done, so curiosity alone makes me like the idea.
1) Perhaps, perhaps not. Surely that would very much depend on the cinematic knowledge of both those contributing to the list and those subsequently viewing it. I presume everything would need the usual 'more than one voter and a minimum number of points' in order to qualify so whilst I'm sure there would be movies of that ilk show up chances are there would also be plenty of fairly well known popular films make it. For instance I'm not convinced that the likes of say Romancing The Stone would be that much of a discovery for too many people that gravitate to this forum.

2) For some perhaps, for me it would feel like a chore having to check all the relevant lists for each and every film on my ballot. Perhaps if you or someone else provided a master-list of all the films that have appeared on one or more Community Lists it would feel like less of a chore.

I can understand it sounding like fun and tickling fancies and all that, I'm just not convinced of it myself. Not saying I'm against such an idea, it just doesn't float my boat the way it obviously does yours.

2 to 3 min. to check 25 to 35 titles I think.
Sounds to me like you just volunteered to host such a list - as for sure I'd be getting you to check mine for me ... and that's the only way that would be allowed

The next countdown thread should be for 2000-09 movies, imo, It's long over due and I think that would be fun to do, even though we have The MoFo Millenium Top 100 Countdown which involved some 2010 and 2011 movies. after that list we have another "one off" thread like we currently doing with foreign

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

The trick is not minding
1) Perhaps, perhaps not. Surely that would very much depend on the cinematic knowledge of both those contributing to the list and those subsequently viewing it. I presume everything would need the usual 'more than one voter and a minimum number of points' in order to qualify so whilst I'm sure there would be movies of that ilk show up chances are there would also be plenty of fairly well known popular films make it. For instance I'm not convinced that the likes of say Romancing The Stone would be that much of a discovery for too many people that gravitate to this forum.

2) For some perhaps, for me it would feel like a chore having to check all the relevant lists for each and every film on my ballot. Perhaps if you or someone else provided a master-list of all the films that have appeared on one or more Community Lists it would feel like less of a chore.

I can understand it sounding like fun and tickling fancies and all that, I'm just not convinced of it myself. Not saying I'm against such an idea, it just doesn't float my boat the way it obviously does yours.
In response to #1, maybe not for films like Romancing the Stone, but this would be a great opportunity to bring to attention films like Witchhamner, Stroszek, Alexandria....Why?, Cairo Station, The Whisperers, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Eagle, Kids, 32 Short Films about Glen Gould, A Short film about Love, A Short Film about Killing, In the Company of Men, Matewan and many other films not represented that could be.

2). This is a legitimate concern, as I’m sure most aren’t going to have a eidetic memory of what every list on the countdown has listed already, but I don’t think that will prevent many others from submitting, either.

Let the night air cool you off
Eventually, I think it'd be cool if we did region specific lists, whether that be a single country, a group of countries, or a whole continent.

In response to #1, maybe not for films like Romancing the Stone, but this would be a great opportunity to bring to attention films like Witchhamner, Stroszek, Alexandria....Why?, Cairo Station, The Whisperers, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, The Eagle, Kids, 32 Short Films about Glen Gould, A Short film about Love, A Short Film about Killing, In the Company of Men, Matewan and many other films not represented that could be.
Yes, I'm sure any such countdown would contain a number of lesser known films. I'm just saying I'm not convinced there would be tons of them make it. Naturally I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

2). This is a legitimate concern, as I’m sure most aren’t going to have a eidetic memory of what every list on the countdown has listed already, but I don’t think that will prevent many others from submitting, either.
Just a thought, mebbe @Yoda could write some code into a special submission tool for something like this (if it came to pass) that auto-checked the lists?

Anyway, enough from me on this.

really love the idea of a list for films not on other lists, mainly because i genuinely have no clue what it would look like at this point and we could get some really cool movies on there that wouldn’t stand a chance on any other list. we could call it the “mofo top 100 non-canon films” list.
criticker

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It doesn't take long to type the first three letters of a film's name into the search box on the lists area and see if it comes up, though. It was probably more of a struggle to determine eligibility trying to see if films were listed as horror on imdb for the horror countdown thn arguing about it in the prelim thread

Throwing this out there hoping some others would be interested in it, but I get that it faces an uphill battle of ever being chosen: Short Films.

It doesn't take long to type the first three letters of a film's name into the search box on the lists area and see if it comes up, though. It was probably more of a struggle to determine eligibility trying to see if films were listed as horror on imdb for the horror countdown thn arguing about it in the prelim thread
Thank you - hadn't even noticed that this facility existed

@Yoda - stop bloody hiding things in plain sight

I'd assumed that we were still going for alternating decade and genre/other until we run out of decades, so the next countdown would be 2000s or 2010s, then something else, then the decade we didn't pick the first time, then something else etc.

So 2000s or 2010s next.

But after that, I like the 'not on any other list' list idea. Or musicals. Or lgbt films. Or specific regions/countries.

And in 6 years time a list where we vote for all the Oscar winners and rank them. You'd know what the 100 movies were in advance but not the order. But I'm getting a bit far ahead here...

Throwing this out there hoping some others would be interested in it, but I get that it faces an uphill battle of ever being chosen: Short Films.
I like this idea too.

I'd assumed that we were still going for alternating decade and genre/other until we run out of decades, so the next countdown would be 2000s or 2010s, then something else, then the decade we didn't pick the first time, then something else etc.

So 2000s or 2010s next.

But after that, I like the 'not on any other list' list idea. Or musicals. Or lgbt films. Or specific regions/countries.

And in 6 years time a list where we vote for all the Oscar winners and rank them. You'd know what the 100 movies were in advance but not the order. But I'm getting a bit far ahead here...
Dignan's Thursday Next's 75 year plan

The trick is not minding

So 2000s or 2010s next.

I support these choices. Yes, I like those ideas. What I’m seeing from suggestions we can include the following for future count downs:
2000’s
2010’s
Musicals
Shorts
Noir
LGBTQ (I hope I got the order right)
Film not appearing in these lists (cue Monty Python)
Oscar winners
European films*
UK films*
Asian films*

*am I correct on what people mean by regions? Or do they mean something like Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden et all) Balkans regions etc?