Movie Forums Top Foreign Language Films Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I just started to compile my list. Should we ask here about eligibility for certain films?

If you have eligibility questions then feel free to ask.

I was sure Polytechnique had been discussed and deemed eligible, but that discussion may well have happened in another thread if someone else raised it. I'll add it to the eligibility post.

It's ok. It was on the edge of my 25, but missed the cut. Had some doubts about a couple, but it's all good. Just sent it.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I went with a mixture of classic favorites, films I love and think are great, and others that I want to elevate or put the spotlight on, in case they get in. I ended up cutting a handful that were certainly deserving of being on the Top 25, but that I don't think will need my help getting in, in favor of some more "obscure" or "little known" ones.

The trick is not minding
*sigh*

I wrote down my list on a piece of paper at work, and had it ready. All I had to do was type it and send it.

I get home and....it’s nowhere to be found....probably at work. Who ever finds it is going to have questions.

Going to check my car in case it fell out of my pocket

*sigh*

I wrote down my list on a piece of paper at work, and had it ready. All I had to do was type it and send it.
Just so you know, I can't accept postal ballots

Is the Apu Trilogy considered a single entry or three films? I've seen it listed both ways on here (for example, on the Ebert list)

Three films, I would assume. If you were to list the trilogy, it would probably have to take up three entries on your list unless I'm mistaken.

Is the Apu Trilogy considered a single entry or three films? I've seen it listed both ways on here (for example, on the Ebert list)
Three films. That's generally how trilogies are treated for our list purposes. Obviously Roger Ebert follows his own rules.

I accidentally submitted a list with one of the top movies being the wrong one because I didn't check the year, and the incorrect one is English. I sent a replacement one. Is that alright?

You should only be able to submit one ballot, so by "replacement" do you mean you just sent a PM manually with a new list? If so, then no, that won't count as-is. You'll need to PM me the specifics so I can manually fix it on the backend.

To that end, and for everyone yet to submit: there've been a few issues already, and as mentioned there's no good/super easy way for me to fix them, so I'd urge everyone to be very careful about their ballots. Double check the year, in particular: you might be surprised how many films have the exact same title as yours (and remakes tend to show up first).

To that end, and for everyone yet to submit: there've been a few issues already, and as mentioned there's no good/super easy way for me to fix them, so I'd urge everyone to be very careful about their ballots. Double check the year, in particular: you might be surprised how many films have the exact same title as yours (and remakes tend to show up first).
Yes. I had to use the IMDb link for a couple of the films on my list as the "ballot system" never seemed to find the correct one otherwise.

I had issues with some of the films from China or Japan. Some wouldn't appear by the English title, so I had to go to Wikipedia and copy/paste the Chinese or Japanese title for it to appear in the drop-down.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I just started to compile my list. Should we ask here about eligibility for certain films?
Yes, but I was more curious about certain films that feature two languages. For example, Villeneuve's Polytechnique.
If you vote for Polytechnique, it will count.
If you have eligibility questions then feel free to ask.

I was sure Polytechnique had been discussed and deemed eligible, but that discussion may well have happened in another thread if someone else raised it. I'll add it to the eligibility post.

I was the one who asked about Polytechnique. You can read the whole conversation about it starting here, but this was the final answer about it:

That is an interesting and unusual case! I think if they were filmed and released as foreign language movies, they are eligible. If people choose to watch the English versions and then vote for them, that is up to them.

Also answers to Jabba
Looking forward to seeing this. I expect I won't have seen more than 40 films in it so lots of opportunity to discover new films.

@Yoda since you have TMDB APIs all set, it would be interesting to get some stats after the conclusion. (number of different countries, decades genres etc)

Yeah, foreign titles are the ones most likely to need that link tool. But the link tool works really well, so definitely use that if you don't find the film right away!

@Yoda since you have TMDB APIs all set, it would be interesting to get some stats after the conclusion. (number of different countries, decades genres etc)
Yup, that's part of the idea.

I actually did something like this with the refresh list, I just had to build a script to take the titles and link them up to the DB after, and got some great stats out of it. This time I'm just doing it initially so I won't have to do that intermediate step.

Just submitted my list. Used the one film per director rule (with one exception) to cut it down. Left out any Italian horror as it felt like cheating (I usually watch the English dubs) and tried not to overthink the order.

Not too many surprises for those that know my taste, but would be a pleasant surprise to see a few of them show up in the countdown.

48 lists!

And another change at the top. So interesting to see how the list is shaping up. So many good films just outside the top 100 as well.