A Quiet Place 1 & 2: Trying to understand the monsters...

Tools    

Warning: Spoilers! This is for people who've seen both movies. Maybe somebody can explain what doesn't make sense for me here.

So, apparently:
  1. WARNING: "Monster Attribute 1" spoilers below
    They don't eat anything, they just like beating people up.
  2. WARNING: "Monster Attribute 2" spoilers below
    They have super-normal hearing, but no sense of smell (the top sense of most animal-like predators on the planet).
  3. WARNING: "Monster Attribute 3" spoilers below
    They can tell when a person has stepped on a twig, but they don't attack the noisy boats rattling around the dock all the time.
  4. WARNING: "Monster Attribute 4" spoilers below
    They're strong enough to bash, throw around, and shred apart giant metal barrels, warehouse scaffolding, and cars, but can't rip apart a metal furnace or car when the protagonists are in it (plot armor?).
  5. WARNING: "Monster Attribute 5" spoilers below
    They land on a planet with 70 percent water, but can't swim.

I understand that it's a horror movie... and I love the immersiveness of these movies, but I've seen so many of the same kind of shrieking flailing monsters (just with different skin and bone structure) in modern movies that I need something more to feel real scares from them; having them be more believable than "we're just here to scare you" tactics reduces that immersion.

Cillian Murphy made it a little more believable for me, but predictable quiet-then-loud jump scares and random spazzy monsters ended up making it feel more like a Grade-A B-movie than something deeper like Jaws or The Thing or Alien. Yah I'm old-school, but the believability of the monster goes a long way in a horror movie for me.

Just another WTF. Why not carry rocks and throw them into the bushes to distract the critters? The dad did not need to yell at the end of the first one. Or, after he yelled, he could have run up the path that they put sand on to quiet their footsteps.

I liked the first movie, but yeah, most movies make little sense.