Internet Forum Culture

Tools    

Nice pics, although I don't know who's who.

Carnegie-Mellon is a great school. My percussion teacher, Stanley Leonard --timpanist with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra-- taught at CMU for 20 years until 1978.

Pittsburgh is loaded with fine Universities, and also medical science.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Nice pics, although I don't know who's who.

Carnegie-Mellon is a great school. My percussion teacher, Stanley Leonard --timpanist with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra-- taught at CMU for 20 years until 1978.

Pittsburgh is loaded with fine Universities, and also medical science.
Pittsburgh is quite an underrated city, that's for sure. How Philly gets a better rep then we do is beyond comprehension.

In the baseball pics, Yoda is the one without glasses. The last one, with the aviator shades, is my hubby, Yoda's stepdad. Hard to believe that, in those photos, he and I were a year or so older than Yoda is now.

Pittsburgh is quite an underrated city, that's for sure. How Philly gets a better rep then we do is beyond comprehension.

In the baseball pics, Yoda is the one without glasses. The last one, with the aviator shades, is my hubby, Yoda's stepdad. Hard to believe that, in those photos, he and I were a year or so older than Yoda is now.
Philly? Think Bayonne.. Pittsburgh is the most friendly large city-- I think probably due to the historical immigration of many nationalities to work the steel mills all living in proximity. Unless the new millennium has changed it...

That pic of your hubby puts me in mind of a movie actor, whose name I can't think of. Does he get that, or is it just that particular picture?

Philly? Think Bayonne.. Pittsburgh is the most friendly large city-- I think probably due to the historical immigration of many nationalities to work the steel mills all living in proximity. Unless the new millennium has changed it...

That pic of your hubby puts me in mind of a movie actor, whose name I can't think of. Does he get that, or is it just that particular picture?
Pittsburgh is happily known as the City of Neighborhoods... which kinda springs from your thought of many nationalities coming here. I'm reading David McCullough's book The Pioneers right now, set in the late 1700s, with the initial treks into Ohio, which includes a lot of traipsing back and forth through Pittsburgh. It's easy to forget just how long this city has been an actual city.

No more steel mills, really. When I settled here in the early 1980s, the town was quickly transitioning into a city of service industry and technological careers. CMU helped with some of that, as did the many hospitals and research centers. But the identity of neighborhoods has remained throughout the area. I live about 45 miles from the downtown center, in a neighboring county, but everyone here considers themselves a Pittsburgher. We're just in a slightly farther away neighborhood.

And now Pittsburgh has its first Black mayor according to yesterday’s NY Times.

And now Pittsburgh has its first Black mayor according to yesterday’s NY Times.
Although I'm not in the city limits, I'm still glad to see the previous mayor, Bill Peduto, being given a boot out of office. Yay, Pittsburgh!

When we first started dating (we met online--bringing us back to the original topic), the first picture he sent me of himself was his driver's license photo. (Who does that??) It was this one:

I thought this is what Jeff Daniels would look like if he had a mug shot.

When I met hubby in person on that first date, I thought he looked like the lovechild of Jeff Daniels and Baby Huey. I was not wrong.

When we were first married, he continued his resemblance to Jeff Daniels for a while (though a bit doughier). He's in the upper left and lower right.

But in the ensuing twenty years, he's now begun to resemble actor Wilford Brimley:

When we first started dating (we met online--bringing us back to the original topic), the first picture he sent me of himself was his driver's license photo. (Who does that??) It was this one:

When I met hubby in person on that first date, I thought he looked like the lovechild of Jeff Daniels and Baby Huey. I was not wrong.

When we were first married, he continued his resemblance to Jeff Daniels for a while (though a bit doughier). He's in the upper left and lower right.

But in the ensuing twenty years, he's now begun to resemble actor Wilford Brimley:
His drivers' license picture?? How romantic!..

Yes, I may have been thinking of Jeff Daniels, or maybe even Jeff Bridges. Ha! Wilford Brimley..

His drivers' license picture?? How romantic!..

Yes, I may have been thinking of Jeff Daniels, or maybe even Jeff Bridges. Ha! Wilford Brimley..
I'm not wrong about Wilford Brimley, though, am I?

Actually, him sending me a creepy driver's license photo (this was back when nobody had digital cameras and he had no recent photos of himself to scan except his driver's license) tells you all you need to know about his lack of male ego. He never overly tried to impress me, so I've always seen the real deal from the beginning. It was unnerving at first but I've gotten somewhat used to it in the past 23 years.

I found that "meeting" someone through an online forum of any variety was better for me because I got to know the person through their thoughts and words--and I got to see how they expressed themselves. If you've half-fallen for someone online (assuming they're not completely misrepresenting themselves), by the time you meet in person it matters very little what they look like.

Even if he looks like Jeff Daniels on drugs.

With bulletin boards, people usually had to use their real names, and phrases like "flaming" were usually used, but "newbies" had also been used, too.

With bulletin boards, people usually had to use their real names, and phrases like "flaming" were usually used, but "newbies" had also been used, too.
Don’t know what this means.

He might have meant the old Usenet boards. I posted on them almost 25 years ago, but we didn't use our real names, we had screen names like we do here.
I know back during my CompuServe days, we started with a mostly random series of numbers (with a comma in the middle) before we were finally allowed to choose usernames. But they were never our real names. They almost frowned on that sort of thing. I still remember my CompuServe number, for some dumb reason: 76060,3620... before I got to change it to (wait for it...) Austruck.

Duplicate Account (locked)
Hmmmm, very interesting subject matter. I'm here both because I want to have some easy information about movies, and plus originally it was a distraction from certain forum cultures i partake in which are more hostile and toxic in nature.

Movies are make believe, why would we be getting bent out of shape and egotistical on a movie forum? Overall it's pretty simple why we're so nice here...of course it's not perfect, there's always gonna be the toxic elements, and we wouldn't want the toxicity to disappear entirely.

As someone who has been using forums since i was 11 (i am now 31) I think there are a lot of factors which influence "forum culture":

-there's the programming, this may be the most important: format, user abilities and privileges.

-the mods themselves are a big deal, yoda's pretty chill. I feel that rather than having a militant approach to malicious content, there should be a couple of simple guidelines that are expected to be fallowed. I think most important to control the flaming, obvious/aggressive bigotry can be even worse since you're flaming large groups of people this way. Some forums try to ban trolling altogether but that's a self-defeating goal. The moderators become the trolls at this point.

-and then there's the subtle but pervasive history of the people using the forum and the subject matters. We shouldn't ban politics, but yes, the political forums tend to be the most toxic and psychologically abusive.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Hmmmm, very interesting subject matter. I'm here both because I want to have some easy information about movies, and plus originally it was a distraction from certain forum cultures i partake in which are more hostile and toxic in nature.

Movies are make believe, why would we be getting bent out of shape and egotistical on a movie forum? Overall it's pretty simple why we're so nice here...of course it's not perfect, there's always gonna be the toxic elements, and we wouldn't want the toxicity to disappear entirely.

As someone who has been using forums since i was 11 (i am now 31) I think there are a lot of factors which influence "forum culture":

-there's the programming, this may be the most important: format, user abilities and privileges.

-the mods themselves are a big deal, yoda's pretty chill. I feel that rather than having a militant approach to malicious content, there should be a couple of simple guidelines that are expected to be fallowed. I think most important to control the flaming, obvious/aggressive bigotry can be even worse since you're flaming large groups of people this way. Some forums try to ban trolling altogether but that's a self-defeating goal. The moderators become the trolls at this point.

-and then there's the subtle but pervasive history of the people using the forum and the subject matters. We shouldn't ban politics, but yes, the political forums tend to be the most toxic and psychologically abusive.

I think Yoda's cultivated a fine group of movie fans here. I also think the "controlling type" of mods only pour gasoline to minor conflict, which is going to be everywhere in every segment of society. He's very controlled, actually, and I think it keeps everything at a "cool" level. I think banning politics was a good idea. Political movies, or the movie industry politics is totally different, but important.

I think some people get bent out of shape because movies are important to them, which is why many of us are here, because we care that much. I don't mind one bit if someone doesn't like my favorite movies, and usually never ask why - I figure they have their reasons.

It is very interesting to me to compare the handful of movie forums. They each develop personalities, norms, mores, etc. They're pretty damn addictive, too. I check up on all of them multiple times each day to see if there's some kind of notification or new threads.

Don’t know what this means.

BBSes or bulletin boards. Dial-up modems were used then, but for some reason real names were usually used in forums.

There's a multi-part documentary about it here.

BBSes or bulletin boards. Dial-up modems were used then, but for some reason real names were usually used in forums.

There's a multi-part documentary about it here.

i miss the old school windows 95 ugh

We've gone on holiday by mistake

Bradley Cooper in the mugshot/first pic?