The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
This is actually my second Koreeda film, the first was The Third Murder and enjoyed his work and yes, I was very "joyous" regarding this second film by him. So getting recs for Maborosi and Still Walking by you definitely sets them on my watchlist.

I would second the nomination of Still Walking, a really good film. I haven't seen any others from the director but will put some on my watchlist.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Through a Glass Darkly

I watched this a few days ago but wanted to give it a bit of time to process my thought on it - I'm still not sure what to make of it, to be honest.

The story involves a young woman, Karin, recently discharged from a mental hospital, who goes to a remote island for a holiday with her husband, father and younger brother. There are a lot of underlying tensions in the family, from the father's distance from his children to the younger brother's unpleasant attitude towards women. It culminates in a strange incestuous episode in a boat, followed by Karin's delusion that God is coming out of the walls. The characters talk a lot - or rather, they monologue at each other a lot - but seem to come no closer to an understanding of each other or their situation. Everything that happens seems like it might be a metaphor for something else.

Harriet Anderson's performance was remarkable, and there were several scenes that were beautifully shot, but I couldn't say I liked it overall.

I know some people think Bergman is just not for them, but for me there have been some of his films that I felt I connected with and was interested in and moved by, and others that just left me completely cold - and some in the middle. For example, I like Fanny and Alexander and Cries and Whispers a lot. Perhaps it helped that these were in colour. I always find Bergman's black and white is more austere and cold than some other black and white films.

Also, I think the director of The Lighthouse watched this film too many times.

The trick is not minding
The Umbrellas (Ella Ella ella!*) of Cherbourg (the “g” is silent)

Musicals are difficult to pull off for me. They can range in misplaced numbers that don’t really add to the story as much as it should (The Return of the Prodigal Son for example, where the songs don’t give any hint to the violent ending). Or somewhat miscast actors (Guys and Dolls, which while ok, doesn’t work as well with Brando as a singer). Or Musicals where are subtitled for the dialogue but strangely, not for the musics numbers (Looking at you Mother India).

So imagine the breath of fresh air that is Umbrellas (Ella Ella Ella)*

Every line is sung, and we get a beautiful and talented Deneuve as the lead, Genevieve. Basically a love story, between Gen and Guy (pronounced gee with a soft “g”).
Genevieve’s mother disapproves of the relationship, and is all too happy when Guy is drafted into the army. She tries to match Genevieve with a richer prospect. There are hints that there mother had an unhappy marriage, as evidenced by a few comments and the fact he isn’t portrayed. The mother faces debt and is eager to marry her daughter off to a rich guy, despite complications (you’ll see).

It’s a good film, but it suffers from a mediocre second half that focuses on the mother-daughter relationship, but doesn’t really dig deep enough into it. There’s also the libferibb mystery of the missing letters that is never addressed.
Genevieve never revived them at one point, with her mother claiming none have arrived, and later Guy claims to have sent them but never a reply to them. There was a feeling that her mother hid them, but it’s never properly revealed.
But those are somewhat minor quibbles, and it is a decent enough film. It won’t find its way into my foreign films ballot, but it may have a spot on my musical ballot (if we ever do one that is)

*damn you Rihanna! You have that song stuck in my head!
*shakes fist*

Umbrellas of Cherbourg is about as far off from my taste as a movie can get, yet I thought it was incredible.

Through a Glass Darkly is mid tier Bergman for me, very good for sure.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I would second the nomination of Still Walking, a really good film. I haven't seen any others from the director but will put some on my watchlist.
That seals WHICH one goes first if Thursday seconds.
Not at all. I recommended a Naruse film with a similar theme because, in spite of everybody claiming Koreeda was inspired by Ozu, I feel stronger Naruse vibes than Ozu vibes from his movies. Like Father, Like Son isn't a favorite of mine but I liked it more than Shoplifters and it's probably the closest to Shoplifters in terms of the plot even though it's less intricate. I also recommend Our Little Sister. It's nothing like Shoplifters but a great film on its own and one of my favorites from Koreeda. I remember seeing it at the cinema and I was the only person watching it. Haha. Good memories. As a matter of fact, every Koreeda film is worth seeing, so you can just as well watch his entire filmography chronologically.

[b]But yeah, I recommend watching some classics from Ozu, Naruse, Mizoguchi, Shimizu, Shimazu, Yamada, et al]. WARNING: these films might temporarily make you feel like all contemporary films suck, so be warned! It's always good to know the past to properly interpret the present. It's not really about seeing a given theme recycled and liking a new film less because of that, though. Ultimately, it's about how they handle the theme and you don't really have to be original to be great. It's good to be learned about something you find inspiring. When I watched Werckmeister Harmonies back in 2011 I decided to seek and watch more films that will make me feel the same thing I felt when watching Harmonies, and this kind of enthusiasm made me a cinephile. You gotta follow your enthusiasm started by Shoplifters and deep-dive into Japanese cinema as hard as you can, and do it now that you feel it because once it's gone you might not want to do that anymore.

As far as new films go, I was destroyed by Rebirth (2011). To some extent, it's similar to Shoplifters plot-wise, but then again it's completely different. The ending made me very emotional.
I haven't seen any of Naruse so it'll be an interesting additive when I eventually do.

Amen to the Warning. Nicely f@ckin put, my dear sir.

And rest assured, it's been wonderous spelunking via these HoFs and the kind Recommendations of others into possible venues. (or Crevices should you be of a mind to roll down that thematic rabbit-hole.)
I am quite excited to delve beyond the two Ozu's I've seen and have the remaining two of the "Noriko trilogy" lined up and then I'll make a run from there.
With Mizoguchi, along with the two: Ugestu and Sansho the Bailiff. I have my eye on The 47 Ronin (1941).
followed by et al.

I'm so happy I could plot!!!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@edarsenal The 47 Ronin is my least favorite Mizoguchi, so be warned! Pretty much anything is a better choice for a third Mizoguchi than that if you ask me, but do as you see fit.

Nice to see how excited you are.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal The 47 Ronin is my least favorite Mizoguchi, so be warned! Pretty much anything is a better choice for a third Mizoguchi than that if you ask me, but do as you see fit.

Nice to see how excited you are.
Thank you, minio! Been a fan of Asian films since I was a teenager. Though, in all honesty, it involved the more Action-oriented, aka Crime, Martial Arts, Period Pieces and the occasional Ghost/Horror when it came to China, Japan, and with the beginning of this century (that is still weird to say), a love for South Korean films. My discovery of more serious/dramatic/artistic began in these HoFs. And like many first excursions, my own limited, slightly dismal intellect did stumble a bit, but my interest, appreciation, and quite recent, sincere love for them grew and continues to.
I love the root story of 47 and am curious to see Mizoguchi's take on it, and it just looks like a fun watch. I am sure depending on my enjoyment of his Top Two (most spoken of), there's every possibility I'll delve into other films as well. Much like my excitement to view more Ozu has become. So, Yay!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Seven Samurai

Wish I had more to say about the film. It's runtime was pretty daunting and that's why it took me so long to get to it. It has a nice pace to it though so it didn't feel like a chore as the story was pretty engrossing. Visually the film is beautiful and the film was shot very well. Hard to latch onto the characters but that seems to be something Kurosawa is never really too worried about. It's a film that will go down as one of those that I respect more than becoming an instant favorite. I feel like it will need a rewatch down the road to to fully appreciate it more.

Woman in the Dunes (1964)

Woman in the Dunes is my favorite choice for me in this PRIII. It was fascinating to watch and I'm still thinking about it right now! That doesn't mean I think it was perfect and as I write this I haven't worked out my voting ballot yet.

One thing for sure, there are so many great cinema-artsy shots in the movie that I had a hard time settling on just one image for this review. Visually this is impressive.

What's also impressive is how the TV show The Twilight Zone obviously influenced this movie...right down to the similar music. I loved this story and it's setting at the bottom of a sand pit. There's so much to think about here...and that's a rarity as most movies for me are forgotten the next day.

I do think there was some missed opportunities and I would've nixed the villagers lined up wanting to watch the man and the woman copulate. With all the closeups of their weird facial garb I was reminded of The Road Warrior and something about that scene and it's pacing seemed out of place in an otherwise contemplative type film.

The end scene with the woman being taking away in pain with a ectopic pregnancy, repeatedly crying out 'no-no', 'no-no'...was haunting and oh so sad. I find myself wondering what happened to her. Did she have her baby and return to live with the man in the dune pit? Or did she die? I hope she returned and they lived a good life, albeit a strange one.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	wd1.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	77958  

The trick is not minding
Rome, Open City.

Rossellini’s film is an indictment against the German occupation during WW2. It also a excellent example of the neorealism of its time. Probably the best, from what I’ve seen.
It tells the tale of a resistance leader, named Manfredi, and his attempts to stay just ahead of the SS as they hunt him down.
Loyalties are tested, as are their faith, and their patriotism to their country.
Rossellini does a great job heightening the suspense as the SS draws closer to Manfredi, and his allies attempts to conceal him. His direction was also amazing for its time, especially Anna Magnanis scene as she races towards the camera, a scene that has become famous.
It never grows preachy, as many war films of its time were prone to do, but doesn’t shy away from its brutality as was common during the occupation. And it doesn’t hesitate to point a finger at their own countries collaboration, and guilt.
Good film, with some great scenes and a great script.

I saw Hero last night, so I only need to see Woman in the Dunes to finish. That, and catching up with my remaining reviews.