Do Men and Women Have Different Taste in Movie?

Tools    

Oh okay, but I thought that the ratio between bad and good chick flicks and bad and good action movies were the same since ther eare a lot of stupid action movies out there as well.
Maybe? But I'm guessing that people will still like a bad action flick because it's so bad it was fun. Whilst a bad 'chick flick' is just no fun at all. At least it seems that way.

My favorite chick flick is steel magnolias. Does that make me a chick?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I
It cannot be simultaneously true that men and women have different life experiences (which is the one part of this even the extremely progressive and the extremely old-fashioned seem to agree on), but in such a way that those experiences somehow do not shape their tastes in film (or anything else).
I don't know if I can say with certainty that males are more impressionable than females when it comes to movies, but it seems that males would be the ones to act on a movie that provokes them.

I can see it now. After Lockerbie, two friends talking to themselves:

"Those damn Arabs! Let's go watch Rambo II again!"

Yeah, I'm not sure of the specifics of the differences, but that there are differences seems incredibly obvious, and indeed other generally progressive ideas seem to dictate it.

I honestly can't figure out how someone can ostensibly value diversity, and acknowledge the lived experience of women who tell us how different it is to be them, and yet somehow simultaneously maintain that their taste in art is an island set apart from those completely different life experiences. These are clearly mutually exclusive ideas, and yet I see intelligent people (here and elsewhere) hold them both in their mind, and argue for both, even.

The post got a few reps, too, and fair guess it's some of the people I usually end up talking to about culture and gender. Ya'll can feel free to act as if that reply was to you, if you can shed some light on what, to me, looks like an obvious contradiction.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't know if I can say with certainty that males are more impressionable than females when it comes to movies, but it seems that males would be the ones to act on a movie that provokes them.

I can see it now. After Lockerbie, two friends talking to themselves:

"Those damn Arabs! Let's go watch Rambo II again!"
What do you mean males would be the one to act on a movie that provokes them or how so?

What do you mean males would be the one to act on a movie that provokes them or how so?

For example, a recent example, the (awful) movie, "Joker"... I remember all over the news about talk how white males would start raping and killing women, with some even saying the movie shouldn't be released..

Peckinpah said he regretted the violence in "The Wild Bunch", thinking the gore would pacify the people (I don't believe this), but he mentioned of a few cases, like young men using a gun similar to William Holden's fighting in a country in Africa.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Normie men and women have tastes that are similar in at least one thing: they're bad.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Normie men and women have tastes that are similar in at least one thing: they're bad.
You know what's even worse? Someone over the age of 7 using the word "normie". Same amount of syllables as normal.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Normie has a dismissive air about it. More to my liking.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
For example, a recent example, the (awful) movie, "Joker"... I remember all over the news about talk how white males would start raping and killing women, with some even saying the movie shouldn't be released..

Peckinpah said he regretted the violence in "The Wild Bunch", thinking the gore would pacify the people (I don't believe this), but he mentioned of a few cases, like young men using a gun similar to William Holden's fighting in a country in Africa.
Oh okay, but there haven't been any crimes perpetrated by men that can be linked to Joker specifically, is there?

As for using a gun similar to Holden's, lots of revolvers look the same, and that movie took place in 1914 compared to after The Wild Bunch came out and revolvers have changed. So that kind of seems like a reach it seems?

I'd argue yes to the latter, as well. I appreciate that this probably comes from a good place, but I think it indirectly devalues diversity. Diversity has no value unless different groups of people are different in non-superficial ways like manner, perspective, and worldview. And if they're meaningfully different in those ways, they're obviously not going to have the same tastes.

It cannot be simultaneously true that men and women have different life experiences (which is the one part of this even the extremely progressive and the extremely old-fashioned seem to agree on), but in such a way that those experiences somehow do not shape their tastes in film (or anything else).
Yeah, you're right. That's kind of what I was trying to say, I just phrased it poorly (or rather, I elaborated in my head but forgot to write it out ). Our tastes are developed through our experiences. Since it is impossible for men and women to have exactly the same lives (not equal, but literally identical), there are going to be differences in overall preferences. Basically my point was that the difference is societal, not biological.

Males and females have different hormones, different equipment, different ways of looking at things, and different purposes in nature. So they are going to be inclined to have different tastes in movies.

You ready? You look ready.
Movies taste like butter. If you don't like butter then I don't even want to talk to ya regardless the gender.

Note: I make exceptions for people allergic to butter. Their soul just needs pity. Think of all the life they are missing!

"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Oh okay, but there haven't been any crimes perpetrated by men that can be linked to Joker specifically, is there?

As for using a gun similar to Holden's, lots of revolvers look the same, and that movie took place in 1914 compared to after The Wild Bunch came out and revolvers have changed. So that kind of seems like a reach it seems?
I didn't mean revolver, i meant that automatic gun that was supposed to be a gift to the governor (?)... It's in the final scene. You can see Peckinpah's interview - there's only about three on YouTube.

As for "Joker", I don't know if you can have a statistic, but I'm sure you remember the articles about how the movie should be banned, or media trying to foresee the future, which probably caused more havoc than the movie itself.. Wag the dog.

Yeah, you're right. That's kind of what I was trying to say, I just phrased it poorly (or rather, I elaborated in my head but forgot to write it out ). Our tastes are developed through our experiences. Since it is impossible for men and women to have exactly the same lives (not equal, but literally identical), there are going to be differences in overall preferences. Basically my point was that the difference is societal, not biological.
Got it, thanks for the clarification. I'd probably disagree that it's entirely societal (though maybe you just mean mostly), too, but that's at least arguable.

In the IMDB, men and women have slightly different rationgs on average.

Regarding Ghlib's movies women like it more than men:

Spirited Away is rated 8.5 by men and 8.7 by women. In particular, women aged 18-29 are the ones who rate it most highly while men over the age of 45 are the ones who rate it lowest.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245429...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Grave of the Fireflies display the same pattern:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Princess Mononoke, a more action-oriented movie, is rated higher by men (8.4) than by women (8.3):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
While Totoro has much higher rating by women (8.4) than by men (8.1):
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096283...?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Let's check very "manly" movies like:

Apocalypse Now, Men rate it 8.5, women rate it much lower at 8.1
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Ranging Bull, men rate it 0.4 points higher than women:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081398...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Taxi Driver, men rate it 0.3 points higher than women:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075314...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Heat men rate it 0.5 points higher than women:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113277...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
Die Hard men rate it 0.4 points higher than women:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016...?ref_=tt_ov_rt
The Matrix, is one of the manliest movies on the IMDB: men rate it 0.5 points higher than women, directed by two transwomen :
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093...?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Good post Guap. Thanks for listing some stats. It's interesting to see a trend there between what movies men and women prefer. Did you choose those movies at random? Or based on the results? I wonder if there are other 'chick flicks' 'guy flicks' that would break those trends?

I do think biological differences...dna...play a part in shaping all humans, both in the physical sense and in their various mental & emotional responses. And yes social trends would seem to me to shape people's beliefs and preferences for many things including movie taste.