Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Medusa Touch (1978)

Thanks to a good review on here (great stuff as usual MoFos) decided to give this a go. It's a strong mystery thriller that really holds it's own both in plot and performance in spades. Richard Burton is obviously in full whisky mode and, I think, usually a terrible ham but it works here. Lots of familiar British actors faces and a bizarre choice of a lead detective (French?! ).

Love finding little gems through recommendations like this and another great reason why I'm a MoFo too!

I liked it well enough, although it was half an hour too long and had too many characters (or, citing Aliens, not enough Bill Paxtons to punch them up). Tig Notaro was my favourite, surprisingly (given that she was put in after the fact - I'm sure people can point out wonky effects and whatnot, but I found her inserted naturally enough).

That being said, it was a good enough excuse to revisit Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake, the only film of his I like without reservations.*Still slaps, as the kids say these days.*
While I was alarmed by the initial characterization, I grew to quite enjoy the dynamic between the German safecracker and his bodyguard. I think the decision to have them build their dynamic through the movie, with clashing personalities and strengths, was much more engaging than the haunted brooding of the other characters.

It definitely needed more Hudsons and fewer Hicks. Though Dillahunt also made a fine Burke and the Vasquezes were played by actual Latinas this time around. So points there.

This is going to lead to us ranking all of Snyder’s movies, isn’t it?

While I was alarmed by the initial characterization, I grew to quite enjoy the dynamic between the German safecracker and his bodyguard. I think the decision to have them build their dynamic through the movie, with clashing personalities and strengths, was much more engaging than the haunted brooding of the other characters.

It definitely needed more Hudsons and fewer Hicks. Though Dillahunt also made a fine Burke and the Vasquezes were played by actual Latinas this time around. So points there.

This is going to lead to us ranking all of Snyder’s movies, isn’t it?
That relationship felt like it was missing a few scenes to really sell it, but both actors were amiable enough that I didn't mind.

Dillahunt was definitely obviously the Burke the whole time, but I appreciate that he kept his motives close enough to his chest, unlike Reiser who spends his entire screentime talking about the bottom line.*This might be heresy, but he's always been the worst part of Aliens for me.

As for rankings, I have a bunch of blind spots, but here goes:

Dawn of the Dead
Watchmen
Man of Steel
Army of the Dead
Batman v Superman

Like all but the last two, but Dawn is the only one that doesn't have an obvious point of annoyance for me.*

That relationship felt like it was missing a few scenes to really sell it, but both actors were amiable enough that I didn't mind.

Dillahunt was definitely obviously the Burke the whole time, but I appreciate that he kept his motives close enough to his chest, unlike Reiser who spends his entire screentime talking about the bottom line.*This might be heresy, but he's always been the worst part of Aliens for me.

Dawn of the Dead
Watchmen
Man of Steel
Army of the Dead
Batman v Superman

Like all but the last two, but Dawn is the only one that doesn't have an obvious point of annoyance for me.*
The gap before 300 was unintentional but appropriate.*I remember hating it with a passion.*

Dawn of the Dead
Watchmen
Man of Steel
Army of the Dead
Batman v Superman

I think all the emotional beats were pretty undercooked but the actors were so affable and charismatic, it worked. Plus, their scenes of figuring out the vault security measures were among the most creative and enjoyable.

I like Reiser and Burke quite a bit. I think if it hadn’t been Reiser in the role, the writing could’ve been on the nose but he plays him as someone that views himself as an every man. It’s clear why he would be the lead in rom com shows and sitcoms. If I had to criticize Aliens, a film I love, it would be over its assassination of the titular alien and turning them into Heinlein-esque space bugs. That and it’s just a demonstrably dumber film than Alien and guilty of much of what people slam Covenant for, but I digress. I do love the film.

Dillahunt is among my favorite modern character actors and I think he could be a huge star with the right role.

As for Snyder:

Watchmen (any cut but Director’s is my preferred)
Dawn of the Dead
Justice League: Snyder Cut
Man of Steel
Legend of the Guardians
Batman v. Superman: Ultimate Edition
Army of the Dead
Sucker Punch: DC
Batman v. Superman: Theatrical
Sucker Punch: Theatrical
Justice League: Theatrical

I like all to differing degrees except the bottom 3. Huge fan of the top 5.

I think all the emotional beats were pretty undercooked but the actors were so affable and charismatic, it worked. Plus, their scenes of figuring out the vault security measures were among the most creative and enjoyable.

I like Reiser and Burke quite a bit. I think if it hadn’t been Reiser in the role, the writing could’ve been on the nose but he plays him as someone that views himself as an every man. It’s clear why he would be the lead in rom com shows and sitcoms. If I had to criticize Aliens, a film I love, it would be over its assassination of the titular alien and turning them into Heinlein-esque space bugs. That and it’s just a demonstrably dumber film than Alien and guilty of much of what people slam Covenant for, but I digress. I do love the film.

Dillahunt is among my favorite modern character actors and I think he could be a huge star with the right role.

As for Snyder:

Watchmen (any cut but Director’s is my preferred)
Dawn of the Dead
Justice League: Snyder Cut
Man of Steel
Legend of the Guardians
Batman v. Superman: Ultimate Edition
Army of the Dead
Sucker Punch: DC
Batman v. Superman: Theatrical
Sucker Punch: Theatrical
Justice League: Theatrical

I like all to differing degrees except the bottom 3. Huge fan of the top 5.
I don't hate Reiser (and enjoyed him in Beverly Hills Cop II), but Burke's character arc is a pretty boring one, no matter how well he sells it.

I keep forgetting Snyder did that owl movie lol

I don't hate Reiser (and enjoyed him in Beverly Hills Cop II), but Burke's character arc is a pretty boring one, no matter how well he sells it.

I think the impact of Burke going so far with the face huggers makes it solid, even if it’s not particularly surprising or complex.

Yup. And it’s probably his most accessible and one of the best uses of 3D ever. Underrated even if it’s Star Wars with Owls.

The Andalusian Dog and A Trip to the Moon.

I liked both of them but I feel I can't give them a rating out of 10, since they were more works of art than movies in the conventional sense.

Crossfire, 1947
WARNING: spoilers below
This business of hating Jews comes in a lot of different sizes. There's the "you can't join our country club" kind and "you can't live around here" kind. Yes, and the "you can't work here" kind. And because we stand for all of these, we get Monty's kind. He's just one guy, we don't get him very often, but he grows out of all the rest.
I was always puzzled why anyone would get that steamed up about a Jewish soldier. There were tens of thousands of them in the Army. Then later I learned that in the novel, the character was a homosexual. It was changed due to the Hays code. That made more sense for 1947.

Army Of The Dead 2021

Nobody: We need a big zombie movie worse than World War Z

Zack Snyder: ok
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

5 Centimeters Per Second (2007)

Blind watch from the animations list in prep for the foreign language countdown. It's less than 65 minutes long so I was surprised to see it split up into 3 segments. It worked for me though in large part because it's not fantasy. The animation was outstanding.

I haven't seen Army of the Dead, but re: Aliens, did Burke have an arc? I mean, most of what happens with him is a result of diversion and point of view from the other characters (and us, the audience) but I don't think there's an actual change in him, nor there needs to be.

I happen to love Reiser's performance, mostly because, well, he got me. Hook, line, and sinker.

I haven't seen Army of the Dead, but re: Aliens, did Burke have an arc? I mean, most of what happens with him is a result of diversion and point of view from the other characters (and us, the audience) but I don't think there's an actual change in him, nor there needs to be.

I happen to love Reiser's performance, mostly because, well, he got me. Hook, line, and sinker.
I guess I'm using arc loosely, but I guess I was hoping for something like a reveal or just not exactly what you'd expect him to do from the moment he first comes on screen. I mean, the guys spends every scene talking about the bottom line, is it any surprise that he ends up being a total weasel at the end? In contrast, even Gorman, who is nobody's favourite character, manages an act of bravery the audience is led to believe he isn't capable of.

Gorman > Burke

I forgot the opening line.

By Pathé - https://www.broadwayworld.com/articl...eased-20190509, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=60727455

Judy - (2019)

I'm no big fan of Judy Garland (nothing against her) and have to admit I'm a little tired with the modern biopic so this film had it's work cut out entertaining or teaching me. I'm glad to say that Judy did a pretty good job on both counts. The film takes such a tiny slice of her life (almost literally - there are so many cakes in this film that it has to mean something - you can't have your cake and eat it too?) and manages to tell her life story within the space of a few weeks. Firstly during her London 'Talk of the Town' series of concerts a year before her death and in flashbacks as she has her childhood snatched away from her during the preproduction of The Wizard of Oz. It's the fact that those weeks are so revealing as to who she was and how her life was both lived in the gutter and up in the stars that makes the film impressive.

I wouldn't have really encouraged myself to see the film if it weren't for Renée Zellweger winning the Best Actress Oscar in 2020. I was dragged along by a friend to see Bohemian Rhapsody, but would probably have seen it for the same reason. Again, the same with Coal Miner's Daughter, albeit belatedly. This biopic business it a license to make Oscars with a 3D printer. (Remember Shine?) Everyone gets one. So it is that I tend to see more of them than I really want to - but Judy is probably the best and most economic with our time and the point being pressed home, although Sissy Spacek definitely did the best job of all singing-wise. Now, I'm very glad to say I'm done with the genre. Until the next Oscar nominated performance. It's a shoo-in.

7/10

I guess I'm using arc loosely, but I guess I was hoping for something like a reveal or just not exactly what you'd expect him to do from the moment he first comes on screen. I mean, the guys spends every scene talking about the bottom line, is it any surprise that he ends up being a total weasel at the end? In contrast, even Gorman, who is nobody's favourite character, manages an act of bravery the audience is led to believe he isn't capable of.

Gorman > Burke
I get that, but Burke's overall characterization made him seem like such a nervous, cowardly weenie the entire time, that I was still somewhat surprised at his betrayal of Ripley, since I never would've expected he would've had the guts to do that to go that far against her, you know?

The Verdict (1982, Sidney Lumet)

Excellent courtroom drama beautifully written by David Mamet and featuring an impressive cast including James Mason, Charlotte Rampling, and of course, Paul Newman in one of his best roles.