Directors who made only one five-star movie

Tools    

Victim of The Night
You would assume it's Deadly Weapons. But it's not!

Doris Wishman proves she a more than capable filmmaker without the assets of Chesty Morgan to finally make her true masterpiece: A Night to Dismember.
I feel like you're really gonna make me watch that movie.

Eh, I usually don’t like calling out people for what they like, although I may question it, I also avoid outright calling them junk. Who am I to tuck on someone’s yum, after all?
I wouldn’t mock you for liking, say City of the Living Dead.
Although it is worth being mocked 😏

I've heard more than enough people call City of the Living Dead junk over the years and its never deterred me from my feelings towards it. I'll survive the mocking, I'm sure. After all, if I didn't want to hear the honest opinions of other people on what they do or don't like, I would just sit around debating with a bunch of crumbsroom cardboard cutouts and skip posting on an open movie forum.

Gerald Kargl made 1 movie, and it is one of the most brilliant, terrfying movies ever made - 'Angst'.

Nolan - Memento
Fincher - Se7en
Korine - Gummo
Melville - Le Samourai
Mizoguchi - Sansho
Soukourov - Russian Ark
Leigh - Secrets and Lies
Bogdanovich - Paper Moon
Clayton - The Innocents
Curtiz - Casablanca
Tarr - Werckmeister Harmonies
Teshigahara - Woman in the Dunes
Cuaron - Roma
Schrader - Mishima
Villeneuve - Incendies
Aldrich - Kiss me Deadly
Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
von Donnersmark - The Lives of Others
Hae Sung Song - Failan
Chang Dong - Poetry
Cianfrance - Blue Valentine
Schaffner - Papillon
Ramsay - Ratcatcher
Dassin - Rififfi
Tarantino - Pulp Fiction
Demme - Silence of the Lambs
Ostluund - Force Majeure
Bong Joon Ho - Memories of Murder
Moodyson - Lilya-4-ever
Tornatore - Cinema Paradiso
del Toro - The Devil's Backbone

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Michael Bay, for The Rock.

Ramsay - Ratcatcher
Fantastic list. Wondering why you don’t like We Need to Talk About Kevin. Over the top?

Edit: not ‘don’t like’ - I don’t know that you don’t - but not enough to rate it 5 stars.

Fantastic list. Wondering why you don’t like We Need to Talk About Kevin. Over the top?

Edit: not ‘don’t like’ - I don’t know that you don’t - but not enough to rate it 5 stars.

It's good but for me Ratcatcher is one of the best British films of the last 40 years. It's like 400 Blows for a new generation. It has everything, a bit of new wave, a bit of Ken Loach even a beautiful score from Rachel Portman. Ramsay is so good that I'm convinced she can hit those heights again.

Her other films are by no means poor, but they perhaps have a couple of pacing flaws.

It's good but for me Ratcatcher is one of the best British films of the last 40 years. It's like 400 Blows for a new generation. It has everything, a bit of new wave, a bit of Ken Loach even a beautiful score from Rachel Portman. Ramsay is so good that I'm convinced she can hit those heights again.

Her other films are by no means poor, but they perhaps have a couple of pacing flaws.
Yes, I couldn’t agree more. Ratcatcher is sublime, with a great colour palette. Need to rewatch it. And yes, maybe she also needs to tone down the thriller aesthetic which she’s been into since ...Kevin. Greater things to come, for sure.

Victim of The Night
I've heard more than enough people call City of the Living Dead junk over the years...
Yeah, but those people are idiots.

This is based on my personal rankings on Flickchart that I would give 5 stars to...

Don Siegel "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956)
Fred Wilcox "Forbidden Planet" (1956)
Jack Clyaton "The Innocents" (1962)
Peter Brook "Lord of the Flies" (1963)
Mel Stuart "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" (1971)
Gerold Potterton "Heavy Metal" (1981)
Richard Benjamin "My Favorite Year" (1982)
Tony Scott "True Romance" (1993)
Curtis Hanson "LA Confidential" (1997)
Seth Rogan "The is the End" (2012)
James Gunn "Guardians of the Galaxy" (2014)

Gonna disagree with Tobe Hooper because IMO Poltergeist is his best. It did a better job of displaying a little girl's horrors through the eyes of the mother better than The Exorcist did.

Salem's Lot was pretty good, unless TV movies don't count.