Obscure films that deserves more attention

Tools    

Ain't Misbehavin' (1955)
All the Way to Paris (1966)
Days of Gray (2013)
Détruisez-vous (1969)
The Faith Club (2017)
I am a Good Person/I Am a Bad Person (2011)
Leap 4 Your Life (2013)
Murder Made Easy (2017)
Nose to Tail (2018)
Wexford Plaza (2016)
Sophie's Place (1986)
Todo un caballero (1947)

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I quite liked Wicker Part as well. Want to watch the original now.

Does Parasite count as an obscure movie? Us movie lovers know of it, but aside from people on the internet, no one I know in person has heard of it when I ask them.

Bad Taste (1987)

Night On Earth (1991)

Proof (1991)

Crossing the Bridge (1992)

Safe (1995)

K-Pax (2001)

Room (2015)

These aren't really that obscure, but they're all attainable films that deserve a watch:

Failan
Christmas in August
Gabbeh
Pixote
Las Acacias
The Golden Dream
Uzak
Foxtrot
Nobody Knows
Hausu
Sonatine
A colt is my Passport
Branded to Kill

How about The White Reindeer?

I'm going on a Peter Weir binge shortly for the 2021 challenge. Found this one on the Criterion Channel

I've really liked every Weir film I've ever seen, and I've seen most of them (not Green Card, Fearless or The Way Back) so it's hard to go wrong with him (yes, I like Dead Poet's Society)

I've really liked every Weir film I've ever seen, and I've seen most of them (not Green Card, Fearless or The Way Back) so it's hard to go wrong with him (yes, I like Dead Poet's Society)
Same here. I've seen 4 or 5 now over the years and they've all been good.
Cars That Ate Paris looks like a potential New Favorite Movie, so I'm looking forward to that one. Can't believe it's taken me this long to finally watch it.

EDIT: I mean, I'm also looking forward to his Oscar winners of course.

That attitude is a great way to make sure your notions are never challenged and your horizons never broadened. But I guess that's a feature and not a bug, for some.

I shared this on another thread, but since it fits...

Thief's Monthly Movie Loot 37: The Hidden Loot (with Tyler Jones)

In the latest episode of my podcast, me and @ThatDarnMKS talk about "hidden gems" and little known films that we feel deserve more attention. We also share five recommendations each of such films.

And that's it for my shameless self-plug.

obscure movies are obscure for a reason. Let them stay obscure.
But that begs the question what makes popular movies popular? Is it the same reasons that keep obscure movies obscure? Maybe... and maybe not.

In today's world it's a combination of advertising (hype), politics, cultural demographics, polls & focus groups, word of mouth, and social "approval" based on ideological conditioning.

Movies don't necessarily have to be good these days to be at the top of a list, they just have to meet a checklist of criteria established by the likes of those who make up "the academy".

Which means a lot of obscure movies may be far better than a lot of the drivel they are pumping out today.