do u think Speed (1994) still holds up really well ?

Tools    

Let me just say this again, mark mancina is a genius, he gave this movie the ever lasting identity with his brilliantly made score, jan de bont did an amazing direction in the way he shoots the scenes, just to make u feel as if u live in LA, as if ur there living with the actors, it just can t any better for the immersion factor of a sunny morning in LA

Totally agree, and man, Speed really holds up. I'm not sure when I rewatched it semi-recently, I think just last year, but it was still engrossing.

Cant really say if it holds up ive only seen it recently last couple of years, was very excited to see it and was disappointed. I dont get hoppers villian esque quality i thought it was very much like blue velvet which was just wtf entertaining.

I havnt seen much of hopper so...

This movie totally holds up...enormous re-watch appeal and every time I run into it channel surfing, I will watch it. Reeves completely redefined his career with this movie and Hopper is amazing.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Let me just say this again, mark mancina is a genius, he gave this movie the ever lasting identity with his brilliantly made score, jan de bont did an amazing direction in the way he shoots the scenes, just to make u feel as if u live in LA, as if ur there living with the actors, it just can t any better for the immersion factor of a sunny morning in LA
I also love Mancina. I think he did an even better job on Bad Boys and Fair Game, but Speed is a much better movie though. Great scores though.

Definitely still holds up today!

but how does it compare to Speed 2?

hopefully that question doesn't get me banned!

Speed 2 isn't near as bad as people made it out to be. Everyone acted like it was as bad as say, The Room (2003), when it came out and I saw it and did not understand why.

Speed 2 isn't near as bad as people made it out to be. Everyone acted like it was as bad as say, The Room (2003), when it came out and I saw it and did not understand why.
speed 2 was very entertaining, but maybe not the same quality of filmmaking as the first film, and the fact that keanu reeves isn t there is a major factor

Short version; It's Jason Patric's fault..
Yeah,he just can t be a action lead actor period...

I don't know when was the last time I saw it, but I remember it held up quite well. It's a lot of fun.

That said, I've always had issues with the last act (once they get out of the bus). It's an obvious stretch, with a stupid excuse to keep Sandra Bullock around, and it has never worked for me. Not to the extent that it ruins the film, but it lessens it a bit.

Another film that gives me the immersion of living in LA, is 1995 's micheal mann hit "Heat", and 1985 's brilliant cop thriller " To live and Die in LA"
I really like when movies are filmed during sunny days in los angeles, maybe because i am very fond of the city, of the premise, of the landscape,
These 3 movies giving me the same feeling of immersion when i watch them

I just wanna know how does mark mancina know that this should be the tune of the scene in pershing square, brilliant filmmaking and movie score

Which scene is that exactly? The scene where Dennis Hopper looks out the window and sees the police snipers?

Which scene is that exactly? The scene where Dennis Hopper looks out the window and sees the police snipers?

No it s the scene when the cops arrive to pershing square, and they show you a sniper and then the camera goes down directly to the face of dennis hopper in cops clothes

Oh ok. Are you saying the music wasn't as good in that part?

I haven't seen in an age. It's 90s action cheese. I don't know which is more implausible, the Dukes of Hazard jump or Sandra Bullock as the most implausibly beautiful bus driver in history.

The arbitrary premise seems like a set-up for a Jigsaw killer trap and puts it into a sort of sub-genre with Crank (if you don't do this the whole movie, you die!). In '94 this was still a relatively novel premise for a film, even though it was still explained to people as "Die Hard on a Bus" back in the day, when the winning formula was "Do Die Hard in a _______."

I haven't seen in an age. It's 90s action cheese. I don't know which is more implausible, the Dukes of Hazard jump or Sandra Bullock as the most implausibly beautiful bus driver in history.
Bullock wasn't the driver, she was the passenger who had to take over for the driver (Hawthorne James, aka the caveman-forhead guy) after he got shot: