Older movie about where famous people go after they die???

Tools    

I've been trying for years to remember the name of an older movie, maybe 60s or 70s.

In general, it was about a place (an island, perhaps?) where famous people, i.e. actors, writers, philosophers, etc. went to after they died. They remained there in some kind of life-form as long as there was someone among the living who continued to remember them. When totally forgotten, they 'disappeared', I can't remember how, exactly.

This has been driving me nuts, so I appreciate any and all replies.

Cocoon? Just remembering that it had to do with older people.

I've been trying for years to remember the name of an older movie, maybe 60s or 70s.

In general, it was about a place (an island, perhaps?) where famous people, i.e. actors, writers, philosophers, etc. went to after they died. They remained there in some kind of life-form as long as there was someone among the living who continued to remember them. When totally forgotten, they 'disappeared', I can't remember how, exactly.

This has been driving me nuts, so I appreciate any and all replies.
Could be: "Wings of Fame" (1990)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098658...?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Here is a description of plot:
A famous movie actor (Peter O'Toole) claims that he has written a book. As result, a real author, not a very well known writer, vengenfully kills him but then dies as a result of an accident. Next, they both find themselves in after-life, where souls of all famous people are gathered.

Lost Horizon?

Your movie does not ring any bells for me. But you might be able to find it in lists of movies about the immediate afterlife, which would contain titles such as After Life (1998), Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941), Heaven Can Wait (1943 and 1978), Between Two Worlds (1944), Outward Bound (1930), and A Matter of Life and Death (1946). Happy Googling!