[Request]I need recommendations

Tools    

Hello, I am 18 yo and I have not seen quite a lot of movies throughout my life, but recently I started to watch movies. I am an old school guy who enjoys music from the 80's and 90's and thinks that that era was better regarding movies and music at least. Here's a list of movies I have enjoyed a lot: The Terminator, The Matrix, Taken, Rambo, The Fugitive, John Die Hard, Rocky(I only watched 1 movie yet), V for Vendetta, John Wick, Spider-Man, Star Wars(haven't watched all of them but have seen most of it). And here's some movies that I like but have not enjoyed just like the ones mentioned: Harry Potter, The hobby and Lord of the rings, Let's be cops, Braveheart. I would highly appreciate some movies alike these ones. I especially enjoy ones with an intelligent main character. Other than that additional information would be that I think the american movie industry is the best by far. Thank you for taking your time for reading until this point.

Some recommendations:

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
Commando (1985)
The Crow (1994)
The Glimmer Man (1996)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Natural Born Killers (1994)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
RoboCop (1987)
Speed (1994)
Starship Troopers (1997)
They Live (1988)
Twister (1996)

The trick is not minding
Stat with film movements that helped shape cinema.
French Impressionism
German expressionism
Soviet montage
Italian Neorealism
French New Wave
Japanese new Wave
Imperfect cinema
Cinema Novo
Hollywood New Wave
Cinema du look
Taiwanese new wave
Hong Kong new wave
LA Rebellion
Dogme 95
New German Cinema
And so on

Then look up the various countries and learn their various and distinct genres:
Japan : Kaiju, Anime, Cyberpunk, J-Horror, Samurai, yakuza (both borderless action and actual record versions of the genre)
Italy: peplum (sword and sandal fantasy), Giallo, spaghetti westerns, euro spy (also shared with Germany and France among others), Poliziotteschi (which were detective/crime films).
Germany: krimi films (crime films) the “rubble film” genre, and the homeland films.

Then find famous directors/actors/actresses that represent many of the movements, genres, and each country of its time and pour through their filmographies.

It will take time. But it’s the journey, not the destination that counts. Hope this helps. Happy watching.

For an intelligent lead character, you might want to give Red October a shot. It's one of the best submarine movies.

Thank you guys very much, I highly appreciate the recommendations and will for sure try them out! Have a nice day and stay safe!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thank you guys very much, I highly appreciate the recommendations and will for sure try them out! Have a nice day and stay safe!

If you're feeling froggy, here's a site list of the top 100 movies from the 90s that you can check off once you've seen them. Kinda helps stay focused over time and might keep you anchored to the site for a bit longer to get to know the community more. Stick around. You might get hooked. Maybe try to knock out the top 20?

Try not to read anything online before watching them.

https://www.movieforums.com/lists/mo...990s/edit.html

Good luck on your movie goals. I was your age in that decade and IMO it was a great time for movies and music. Just curious but what bands/albums are you into?

Much appreciated! I'm most into Michael Jackson, Queen. But I enjoy a ton of artists and I can't really tell you in a way like from the most liked to least liked. I listen to music every day and I'm very dedicated to music. The top(not so far from Mj and Queen) from my point of view are(keep in mind they're randomly listed): Green Day, Toto, Billy Ocean, Journey, Survivor, Tracy Chapman, Whitney Houston, The pointer sisters, Pet Shop Boys, Phil Collins, Rick Springfield, Madonna, Rick Astley, Guns and roses, Bryan Adams, Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, Europe, Bonnie Tyler, Billy Joel, The Off Spring, Cher, Modern Talking, Lady Gaga, Scorpions, Aloe Blacc. And many more, these are selected from my playlist and they make me enjoy the best part of music, I've also listened to classic music like Bethooven and Paganini and I consider it enjoyable but not like music from these times. I do also have a couple of artists that I like from nowadays VERY FEW Eminem, Simple Plan, Linkin Park, 50 cent, Kaleo and very few others. Also I forgot to mention that I'm into mostly rock and pop, I also listen to country jazz and types like this. I apologize for all this mass but I couldn't really make it simplier for you. For me the "old music" compared to the nowadays music is like comparing capitalism to communism, it's no match. I use Apple Music and Youtube music, I personally also used Spotify, they all work and are not extremely different if I would have to make a comparison. We will never get back to such music if you ask me I will finish with a quote and also let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know or to be made clear. I would like to thank you one more time and see the truth behind the quote. Also I did not reply to your post because I am unable due to not having enough posts.

"We are in a golden age of music. There will be a time when technology becomes so advanced that we'll rely on it to make music rather than raw talent...and music will lose its soul." -Freddie Mercury

Well if you like Queen you should watch Highlander and Flash Gordon if you haven't already. Flash Gordon is very campy so it's more of an acquired taste, but, you know, it's got Queen music.

Sure thing