The Green Knight

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
This looks like it could go a little too A24 for my liking, but I'm going to stay optimistic.

Directed by a very consistently excellent director as well!

to be honest this looks like a cheap movie. If your goal is to make a period epic then stick to it and spend 100 million to recreate the world and dont be a penny pincher. Instead, from the looks of it, this looks like a decently produced TV movie that has huge anticipation among ardant film fans and literally no one else.

Doesn't look cheap to me at all. Looks cleverly stylized to account for <whatever the budget is>.

Lucky for me I'm able to watch films for aesthetic and narrative pleasure, rather than like an actuary. Makes them so much easier to appreciate and enjoy.

I mean, all you have to do is look at the list of most expensive films ever made and ask yourself how many of these films are genuinely good-looking. On Stranger Tides is the most expensive movie ever made and it's an ugly grey mess.

The trick is not minding
Good thing there’s an actual plot to judge it on, as well as acting, direction, script etc. Films aren’t judged solely on whether they look “cheap” or “ugly”, after all.

to be honest this looks like a cheap movie. If your goal is to make a period epic then stick to it and spend 100 million to recreate the world and dont be a penny pincher. Instead, from the looks of it, this looks like a decently produced TV movie that has huge anticipation among ardant film fans and literally no one else.
I don't think that adolescent boys will notice...

I dunno I kinda see what he's saying. I saw "Starry Night" in person once and the paint didn't look expensive. You could see all these ugly brushstrokes too.

Christian Bale wasn't in it, either.

Love to be told about the importance of high budgets and broad audience appeal by the user who took his avatar from a $7m R-rated horror-comedy about a serial killer.

Woah...didnt see this attack coming.......color pallette can only get you so far. From the trailer, the movie is promising an epic adventure and neither the studio making the movie nor the actors in it can get the kind of budget that could do justice to the story the trailer is promising. There is a certain tangible reality that a 100 million $ budget could get that indie tiny movies can't. No matter how many greens/blue color filters are used. It's just not the same.

I mean, this isn't exactly the first time you've tried to arbitrarily argue for or against a given film's innate quality based on how much it (presumably) costs or how famous its cast members are. I already took into account the matter of "tangible reality" when I listed the most expensive movies and how many of them end up being bland and weightless precisely because the extra cost tends to result in them being overly micro-managed for profit. In any case, there's only so much any of us can glean from a couple of trailers so we're still only guessing at how epic a story this is really going to be - outside of the giants, it looks like a fairly grounded exercise in medieval fantasy so I doubt it'll really demand a triple-figure budget anyway. Besides, a comparatively low budget is not necessarily a limit on imagination either - does Pan's Labyrinth become less impressive just because it was made for $19m?

Most blockbusters don't look or feel real at all, but are incredibly expensive. I'd say there's very little correlation there. We are well, well past the point in cinema technology where you need a large budget to make these kinds of things look real, particularly in the hands of a skilled filmmaker who knows their constraints and is prepared to operate within them.

But what's the point of talking about it? We know from past discussions that you've elected (you frame it as a neutral stance, but it's really just a choice) to view everything through this prism, and I have no reason to believe the 30th time it's pointed out is the one that will be acknowledged. Moreover, nothing in that trailer looks bad or fake to me. It all looks believable, or at least as believable as dark fantasy can be. If it somehow looks bad to you, that means we're at an immediate impasse, and one I'm happy assuming is based on the same slanted foundation as all the other interactions have been.

Really looks good.....