What you're favourite movie about war?

Tools    

Come and See, probably. Besides being so realistic, powerful, etc., there's an "okay guys, this is what it the war was really like" vibe to it that I hardly any other war movie I've seen has captured.

Bridge Over the River Kwai a POW movie where the POW's are building a bridge for the enemy. An escapee leads a group of sabateurs back to the camp in order to blow up the bridge. Great Movie! A must see!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The Battle of Algiers
The Thin Red Line

Come and See
The Ascent
The Cranes are Flying
The Thin Red Line
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
The City of Life and Death
Apocalypse Now
Fires on the Plain (original)
Paths of Glory
Grave of the Fireflies
Ran
Lawrence of Arabia

Combat:

1) Come and See
2) The Battle of Algiers
3) Full Metal Jacket
4) The Thin Red Line
5) The General

Non-Combat:

1) The Travelling Players
2) Paths of Glory (only a third of it takes place in the trenches, so I'll put it under this category)
3) The Bridge on the River Kwai
4) To Be or Not to Be
5) The Ascent

Documentary:

1) The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On
2) Night and Fog
3) Waltz With Bashir
4) Lessons of Darkness
5) Shoah

UserExist
Bridge Over the River Kwai a POW movie where the POW's are building a bridge for the enemy. An escapee leads a group of sabateurs back to the camp in order to blow up the bridge. Great Movie! A must see!
Sounds interesting. Will watch

UserExist
1917. What a performance by George MacKay, and memorable cinematography by Roger Deakins.

NB: I don't really like war movies.
Too unrealistic and epic? Or is there other reasons?

Come and See, probably. Besides being so realistic, powerful, etc., there's an "okay guys, this is what it the war was really like" vibe to it that I hardly any other war movie I've seen has captured.
I'm thinking about changing my answer to The Best Years of Our Lives. Then again, is it a war movie or is it a post-war movie? Is it a war-adjacent movie? I'm not sure.

It seems like a "war" movie, to quote Hans Moleman, should have a war in it.

I realize that I'm in the minority here because many call it boring as poop. But I'm a Civil war buff and loved "Gods and Generals". Also, good call on "Bridge Over the River Kwai" and will throw in "The Great Escape".

Too unrealistic and epic? Or is there other reasons?
Actually it's just the reverse. Even though I realize that the action is fake, as is the killing and maiming, I've had my fill of gore. And that's my feeling about movies in general today.

When I first saw Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch in 1969, I was impressed with the blood spattering and the like. But ever since then the representation of gore has gotten much worse, realistic and ubiquitous. It's just not my idea of a good time. Maybe if I were 13...