Internet Forum Culture

Tools    

As I read through this thread... despite having been an English major and having been a proofreader for the past 30+ years, I'm glad I never actually took Latin in high school.
I loved Latin at my prep school. French too. Everyone thought I would be a linguist, but I knew that was not gonna happen.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I loved Latin at my prep school. French too. Everyone thought I would be a linguist, but I knew that was not gonna happen.
The only two people who scored higher than I did on the PSATs (a national achievement test here in the U.S., mostly for juniors in high school) both took Latin and had better English scores because they knew the roots of more words than I did.

Two... out of about 300 or so. (sigh)

And yet still, I regret nothing.

You ready? You look ready.
I thought English was a made up language? Don't the rules change every 15 minutes?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I thought English was a made up language? Don't the rules change every 15 minutes?
It is my language and the only one I have therefore I have no qualms distorting and mangling the thing to suit whatever my bongo-brained needs may be at any given time.

It's up to the English language to adapt to me not the other way around.

It is my language and the only one I have therefore I have no qualms distorting and mangling the thing to suit whatever my bongo-brained needs may be at any given time.

It's up to the English language to adapt to me not the other way around.
Well damn! I could've wrote that post...Well said

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I stopped reading once I saw the OP was 17 years old, but I love the topic and will have to get acquainted with all the posts before really responding....... just not now. I'm too tired, and think I've used all the brains for this hour.

I find this site and foriiiiii in general fascinating bc I was a literal infant when most of them were made, so I never experienced "forum culture" at its prime. It's really cool to see how things have changed since then. I think I prefer this over something like twitter bc its so much more organized and also people are fairly civil here.

.... I think I prefer this over something like twitter bc its so much more organized and also people are fairly civil here.
Love the modifier here.

Personally, I think a certain Twitter feature should be made more forum-based. You can stop someone from posting on your topics and journals on other websites. Why not do the same for forums? Think about it. Suppose there's a troll a lot of people don't like, but based on a technicality he's not breaking the rules so he's annoying people constantly. But he could still cause a problem on your threads by getting into arguments with other people. But the more users block the troll from posting on their threads, the sooner he'll realize he's not wanted and he leaves, then innocent users don't have to be scared off by the trolls. This latter scenario is what happened to Musicbanter on several occasions and what RUINED Besteveralbums when has been in stasis for six years.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Personally, I think a certain Twitter feature should be made more forum-based. You can stop someone from posting on your topics and journals on other websites. Why not do the same for forums? Think about it. Suppose there's a troll a lot of people don't like, but based on a technicality he's not breaking the rules so he's annoying people constantly. But he could still cause a problem on your threads by getting into arguments with other people. But the more users block the troll from posting on their threads, the sooner he'll realize he's not wanted and he leaves, then innocent users don't have to be scared off by the trolls. This latter scenario is what happened to Musicbanter on several occasions and what RUINED Besteveralbums when has been in stasis for six years.
We've had people here who sound exactly like what you've described. Sometimes they've stuck around posting here for years, and often annoying the crap outta a lot of folks. There are other ways to make someone realize they're misbehaving than blocking their posts. I think this place does a good job of tolerance without letting someone walk all over everyone. Some of the more egregious offenders have indeed left on their own.

We've had people here who sound exactly like what you've described. Sometimes they've stuck around posting here for years, and often annoying the crap outta a lot of folks. There are other ways to make someone realize they're misbehaving than blocking their posts. I think this place does a good job of tolerance without letting someone walk all over everyone. Some of the more egregious offenders have indeed left on their own.
I did notice that Movie forums is much more chill and easy.* Sadly, most websites aren't...