Do movies teach stereotypes?

Tools    

I have soul-searched. I have realized that my senseless vampire bigotry is the result of generations of insidious sinister depictions from hateful anti-dead propaganda, perpetuating the image of these beings as adjacent to disease-carrying vermin. I wasn't born hating vampires, I learned how to hate from watching you, Hollywood, and your ceaseless insensitive stereotyping of slavic superstitions. We must have a national reckoning of our history of collective shadow-bashing, ghettoizing our crypts and cemetaries into fenced off segregation based on nothing more than irrational prejudice of pulse supremacy. We must bear witness to the inconvenient facts, like how even our most beloved Father, Abraham Lincoln, waged a cruel genocidal crusade against these misunderstood dark varmints, seemingly with a sporting relish and vigor. It's not OK now, and it wasn't OK then.

I am now learning how to listen, and to unlearn these false feral phantoms of what is an insecurity and fear of my own seductive inadequecy. I will learn how to check my vivificist privilege, and ally with my shadow brothers and sisters to better achieve sanguine equity. I am learning every day how to be just a little less uncursed.

Thank you all for your mercy.
A sincere display of forgiveness you will never find anywhere else. Bless your kittenself.

Hey, sorry y'all if I came off as overly sensitive here earlier today. Rereading my posts here, I think I overstated my case, overreacted with a couple things I said, and could've worded myself better, so apologies for that.
Don't sweat it, buddy.

Thank you, guys, @Torgo and @Captain Terror, from the bottom of my heart for making my day.
Tumblr probably put a contract on my life for misusing that neopronoun, but I'm glad to help.

A sincere display of forgiveness you will never find anywhere else. Bless your kittenself.
I awoke this morning. Took a long and hard look into the mirror. And all I saw was myself. Bereft of vampires.

*udo kier emoji*

Whether we answered the question in the title or not, at least we got to this...this glorious point.
This is what happens when you check All of the Above for your preferred pronoun.*

I gracefully bow out of this conversation and THEN it turns into kittens in costumes?!

Man, good guys really DO finish last.

*kicks the dirt*

WARNING: spoilers below
I have not read any of the last few pages. Seriously, am not looking to re-engage unless you are a kitten in a cape

I think a good film to use as a test study for this thread would be "Birth of a Nation". In that movie D W Griffiths makes use of numerous stereotypes of black people to paint them in a negative light. For example, he has the white actors portraying black people walking and acting like monkeys. He has the black men chasing after the white women, etc. The question is whether or not he is teaching stereotypes or reinforcing existing stereotypes
A stereotype is defined as"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.
"the stereotype of the woman as the caregiver" .It seems to me that movies can teach stereotypes, but in most cases they serve to re-enforce a stereotype. To teach a stereotype the movie would have to be a documentary or propaganda film. (Birth of a nation was a type of propaganda film.) Otherwise, I believe movies re-enforce stereotypes.

I think a good film to use as a test study for this thread would be "Birth of a Nation". In that movie D W Griffiths makes use of numerous stereotypes of black people to paint them in a negative light. For example, he has the white actors portraying black people walking and acting like monkeys. He has the black men chasing after the white women, etc. The question is whether or not he is teaching stereotypes or reinforcing existing stereotypes
A stereotype is defined as"a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing.
"the stereotype of the woman as the caregiver" .It seems to me that movies can teach stereotypes, but in most cases they serve to re-enforce a stereotype. To teach a stereotype the movie would have to be a documentary or propaganda film. (Birth of a nation was a type of propaganda film.) Otherwise, I believe movies re-enforce stereotypes.

If you're a child, the film teaches. If you're older, it reinforces.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I gracefully bow out of this conversation and THEN it turns into kittens in costumes?!

Man, good guys really DO finish last.

*kicks the dirt*

WARNING: spoilers below
I have not read any of the last few pages. Seriously, am not looking to re-engage unless you are a kitten in a cape

It was all because of Jinnistan's #vampirehate, but as you can see she redeemed herself, and is now a warrior against bigotry

The trick is not minding
It was all because of Jinnistan's #vampirehate, but as you can see she redeemed herself, and is now a warrior against bigotry
Jinns a woman? I’ve been referring to Jinn as a man all this time 🤭

Jinns a woman? I’ve been referring to Jinn as a man all this time 🤭
Going by his avatar I presumed he’s male.

I was pretty sure Jinn referred to himself as a guy previously
I thought he did. Whatever, I don’t really care.

I was pretty sure Jinn referred to himself as a guy previously

He's a he. Even if after nightfall, I suspect his preferred pronoun is Count.

All that vampirekind hatred is exactly what you'd expect from a repressed fang-denialist. It's okay Jinn. Be yourself. We won't judge.

He's a he. Even if after nightfall, I suspect his preferred pronoun is Count.

All that vampirekind hatred is exactly what you'd expect from a repressed fang-denialist. It's okay Jinn. Be yourself. We won't judge.
LOL, I think you just did.