My 30 Favorite 90s Movies

Tools    

Introduction

The 90's was a wonderful decade for cinema and my favorite as I grew up around it and watched some great films along the way.

I'll be doing two entries each day

Reviews: Some entries will have small or more writing with quotes. I'm not that much into writing big essay reviews and may have a few words repeated.

Let's get this list started shall we

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

#30.

Toy Story (1995)
Director: John Lasseter
Writers: John Lasseter (original story by), Pete Docter (original story by)
Cast: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Don Rickles
Genre: Animation, Adventure and Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 21 Minutes
Rated G

One of the first movies that I have ever seen in theaters and it was a fun movie to watch, seeing Andy's toys come to life when no humans around and get the chills when birthdays and Christmases come because they do not want to be replaced or ignored for a new toy that Andy ends up getting. Imo, this film is the one of the best animated movies out there and got a cool catchy theme song as the movie starts.

“To infinity, and beyond!” - Buzz Lightyear played by Tim Allen

#29.

Small Soldiers (1998)
Director: Joe Dante
Writers: Gavin Scott, Adam Rifkin
Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Gregory Smith, David Cross
Genre: Action, Adventure and Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 50 Minutes
Rated PG-13

A movie that takes you on a good adventure about real life speaking toys going to war against eachother. You got the Commandoes Elite going against the gorgonites and seeing humans get involved in this silly little battle also. It was great to see Kirsten Dunst in this movie, she was looked cute in this one.

"We're not toys, we're action figures!" - Chip Hazard played by Tommy Lee Jones

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
#30.

Toy Story (1995)
Director: John Lasseter
Writers: John Lasseter (original story by), Pete Docter (original story by)
Cast: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Don Rickles
Genre: Animation, Adventure and Comedy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 21 Minutes
Rated G

One of the first movies that I have ever seen in theaters and it was a fun movie to watch, seeing Andy's toys come to life when no humans around and get the chills when birthdays and Christmases come because they do not want to be replaced or ignored for a new toy that Andy ends up getting. Imo, this film is the one of the best animated movies out there and got a cool catchy theme song as the movie starts.

“To infinity, and beyond!” - Buzz Lightyear played by Tim Allen

Toy Story is a great movie, and IMO the first movie is the best of the all the Toy Story movies.

#29.

Small Soldiers (1998)
Director: Joe Dante
Writers: Gavin Scott, Adam Rifkin
Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Gregory Smith, David Cross
Genre: Action, Adventure and Comedy
Rated PG-13

A movie that takes you on a good adventure about real life speaking toys going to war against eachother. You got the Commandoes Elite going against the gorgonites and seeing humans get involved in this silly little battle also. It was great to see Kirsten Dunst in this movie, she was looked cute in this one.

"We're not toys, we're action figures!" - Chip Hazard played by Tommy Lee Jones

It's been many years since I watched Small Soldiers, but I remember it being a fun movie. It may be time for a rewatch.

#28.

Groundhog Day (1993)
Director: Harold Ramis
Writers: Danny Rubin (screenplay), Harold Ramis (screenplay)
Cast: Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, Chris Elliott
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy and Romance
Runtime: 1 Hour and 41 Minutes
Rated PG

Not a big fan of Bill Murray but I liked him in this movie as he plays a weatherman that gets stuck in this time loop on Groundhog Day and keeps on reliving that day. I like time loop movies like these because it is interesting to see how the main character tries to escape the loop, especially when doing wacky stuff to get out of it.

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today." - Phil Connors played by Bill Murray

#27.

There's Something About Mary (1998)
Directors: Bobby Farrelly, Peter Farrelly
Writers: Ed Decter (story), John J. Strauss (story)
Cast: Cameron Diaz, Matt Dillon, Ben Stiller
Genre: Comedy and Romance
Rated R

This was a good Ben Stiller comedy and the cast did a good job making this an interesting movie to watch. If I were Greg I would track down the girl that I once loved in high school by myself instead of hiring someone else to do all the handy work which of course could make matters worse.

“Who Needs Him? I’ve Got A Vibrator!” - Mary played by Cameron Diaz

Good end credits song btw while the cast dances in the background

#26.

Can't Hardly Wait (1998)
Directors: Harry Elfont, Deborah Kaplan
Writers: Deborah Kaplan, Harry Elfont
Cast: Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ethan Embry, Charlie Korsmo
Runtime: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Rated PG-13

A good 90s high school movie with some laughs along the way especially at the party scenes, where most of the movie takes place which is fine, atleast you get to see what goes down at this party as these teenagers act like a bunch of wild animals. Also what I liked about the movie are the characters, showing you more of the stereotypical people that you might run into high school some day.

"Just so you know, judging from my little experience, I kind of believe in fate. It just works in really f*cked up ways sometimes." - Denise Fleming played by Lauren Ambrose

#25.

The Cable Guy (1996)
Director: Ben Stiller
Writer: Lou Holtz Jr.
Cast: Jim Carrey, Matthew Broderick, Leslie Mann
Genre: Comedy, Drama and Thriller
Runtime: 1 Hour and 36 Minutes
Rated PG-13

The performance from Jim Carrey in the movie was good as he plays this lonely, creepy stalker cable installer named Chip Douglas that becomes friends with Steven (Matthew Broderick) which Steven does not seem interested to have some friendship with the cable guy. As we get more into the movie, things start to get out of hand as Chip will not leave Steven alone.

"The future is now! Soon every American home will integrate their television, phone and computer. You'll be able to visit the Louvre on one channel, or watch female wrestling on another. You can do your shopping at home, or play Mortal Kombat with a friend from Vietnam. There's no end to the possibilities!" - Chip Douglas played by Jim Carrey

#28.

Groundhog Day (1993)
Rated PG

Not a big fan of Bill Murray but I liked him in this movie as he plays a weatherman that gets stuck in this time loop on Groundhog Day and keeps on reliving that day. I like time loop movies like these because it is interesting to see how the main character tries to escape the loop, especially when doing wacky stuff to get out of it.

"Well, what if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today." - Phil Connors played by Bill Murray

LOVE Groundhog Day...brilliant screenplay and Murray is perfection

I forgot the opening line.
"The future is now! Soon every American home will integrate their television, phone and computer. You'll be able to visit the Louvre on one channel, or watch female wrestling on another. You can do your shopping at home, or play Mortal Kombat with a friend from Vietnam. There's no end to the possibilities!" - Chip Douglas played by Jim Carrey
A pretty impressive prediction of the near-future.

#28.

Groundhog Day (1993)
Rated PG

I'm not a big fan of Bill Murray either, but I like Groundhog Day. It's probably my second favorite Bill Murray movie, (after Ghostbusters).

#24.

Liar Liar (1997)
Director: Tom Shadyac
Writers: Paul Guay, Stephen Mazur
Cast: Jim Carrey, Maura Tierney, Amanda Donohoe
Genre: Comedy and Fantasy
Runtime: 1 Hour and 26 Minutes
Rated PG-13

Jim Carrey played his role nicely as he plays as an attorney that has a hard time putting his family first before his work as he tells his wife and son lies whenever they need him. Carrey sure made this movie funny and enjoyable movie to watch like in some of his other movies as well.

"Stop breaking the law, a**hole!" - Fletcher Reede played by Jim Carrey

#23.

The Nutty Professor (1996)
Writers: Jerry Lewis, Bill Richmond
Cast: Eddie Murphy, Jada Pinkett Smith, James Coburn
Genre: Comedy, Romance and Sci-Fi
Runtime: 1 Hour and 35 Minutes
Rated PG-13

I thought this was a humorous Eddie Murphy movie as he plays an overweight college professor and has six different roles in this movie which he amazingly pulls off, making each character funny in some way, especially with the dinner scenes which were comedic stuff to watch.

" Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!" - Mama Klump played by Eddie Murphy

#24.

Liar Liar (1997)
Writers: Paul Guay, Stephen Mazur
Cast: Jim Carrey, Maura Tierney, Amanda Donohoe
Genre: Comedy and Fantasy
Rated PG-13

Jim Carrey played his role nicely as he plays as an attorney that has a hard time putting his family first before his work as he tells his wife and son lies whenever they need him. Carrey sure made this movie funny and enjoyable movie to watch like in some of his other movies as well.

"Stop breaking the law, a**hole!" - Fletcher Reede played by Jim Carrey

I love Liar Liar. I usually find Jim Carrey's comedy movies to be a bit over-the-top, but Liar Liar is one of my favorite comedies.

#26.

Can't Hardly Wait (1998)
Directors: Harry Elfont, Deborah Kaplan
Writers: Deborah Kaplan, Harry Elfont
Cast: Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ethan Embry, Charlie Korsmo
Runtime: 1 Hour and 40 Minutes
Rated PG-13

A good 90s high school movie with some laughs along the way especially at the party scenes, where most of the movie takes place which is fine, atleast you get to see what goes down at this party as these teenagers act like a bunch of wild animals. Also what I liked about the movie are the characters, showing you more of the stereotypical people that you might run into high school some day.

"Just so you know, judging from my little experience, I kind of believe in fate. It just works in really f*cked up ways sometimes." - Denise Fleming played by Lauren Ambrose
loved this movie!

#22.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994)
Writers: Jack Bernstein (story), Jack Bernstein (screenplay)
Cast: Jim Carrey, Courteney Cox, Sean Young
Genre: Comedy
Rated PG-13

Jim Carrey is one of favorite actors in comedy and found this film entertaining to watch as he plays this goofy and wildly eccentric pet detective that is hired to solve this crime involving the kidnapping of the Miami Dolphins mascot. They sure don’t make movies like these anymore, if they did it probably would get shunned upon which is a shame which the whole film was made to make people laugh and enjoy it.

"Alllrighty then." - Ace Ventura played by Jim Carrey